I can't decide. I love seeing adaptions of certain novels I've read just to see the directors take on all the characters and everything. But then novels are really exciting because they describe every detail, plus they don't skip scenes like the films do.

What do you think and why?

Most Helpful Guy

• Novel. If I really get absorbed into a novel it's incredible to think about. Movies are never as good as what you can imagine in your head. Plus Hollywood movies of novels dumb down a lot of stuff. One of my favorite books of all time is Enders Game. I wanted to throw up after seeing the film...

Most Helpful Girl

• FILMS! YES!

What Guys Said 8

• Novels, this coming from a film and media scholar. Pictures and images can be beautiful but there's nothing, in my opinion, that can compare to the poetry of wonderfully strung words together.

• A film will never meet the expectation of your imagination. When 5 people read a book, the visuals look different in particular ways to all 5 of them. You're drawing the picture or maybe "deciphering" the picture is more accurate. That is why novels are so powerful.

But, movies can express and convey a lot without words and for people that can perceive the nuance, tone and body language the movie will be better.
    Books often have a lot of unimportant information to the greater story. Like excess back story that is unnecessary to tell a good story. It's easy for book fans to get caught up in the backstory, when it doesn't matter in the long run. So in some respects movies cut out a lot of the "bullshit".

I like movies better, because seeing something and experiencing is better than closing your eyes thinking "i can only imagine". The issue only comes when a director doesn't deliver the same picture you had in your mind.

That said, Hollywood fucks up a lot of good books lol

• Mostly I prefer books because your imagination can provide the additional details about characters and scenes but seeing them in a movie makes it seem set in stone - I personally would add much more to a books character while accepting an awful lot of the movie's interpretation of a character.

• Bah. Books.. boring.
    Films any day. I get bored when I read.
    I wanna see someone get a screwdriver rammed in their eye. 😂

• films. i hate reading... and the film goes by quicker.

• Films for me. More animation, less reading :p

• Films. I love them so much and books don't bring u the music!

• I like seeing films.

What Girls Said 5

• I agree! I prefer novels, I like being able to create my own characters with the writers way of words. And you're right when it comes to how some directors tell a story when it is on big screen. It's just significantly different

• books because movies like mortal instruments don't live up no my expectations and I'm just sitting there feeling highly disappointed.

• I prefer film.

• I choose novels over films (same reason why you did) :)

• I have a shared passion for both. I appreciate both sides for what they are and understand that there is no way they could be the exact same with the other.