Do you believe in evolution? Why or why not?

Most Helpful Guy

• No, cause i'd requires great amounts of faith to believe that some amonoacids some billion years ago were struck by lightning, formed the first cells, which devided, reproduced, developed, became sea organisms, became amphibia, walked on the earth, grew wings, and became all the millions of diverse species on earth. thats too many leaps of faith for me... .

• and honestly the propaganda is ridiculous. it has gone out of control. modern science has become appalling. i tried to read a modern biology university textbook. 2015 edition. from the very first page it tried to violently shoe in the students' throats how evolution is responsible for everything and it opened ni the intro with a very provocative and ridiculous statement in my opinion. how everythingon this earth came from a single cell. and the explanation it briefly gave? they all are similar genetically. i mean WHAT - THE - FUCK. really? and you call that science? thats religion of the highest order. it didn't even have the modesty to claim something like some species are relative to others blah blah. to make such a heavy statement so ungroundedely, is pure ridiculousness. needless to say i dropped the textbook at once. its the same with einsteinian paradigm in physics but its much worse in the natural sciences... .

• @Kirah also by claiming that you accept macroevolution but not abiogenesis you are oblidged to provide your alternative hypothesis about how life started or about how specific families of species started, and back it up with scientific proofs of course.

Most Helpful Girl

• I am a creationist and believe in micro-evolution but not macro, adaptation but not that we came from monkeys. Macro evolution is a good theory (especially for the time it came from) but it just doesn't make as much sense as creationism to me.

• You obviously have no idea what evolution says. Also you have never read a book of evolution with the millions of evidence. Evolution is true whether you believe it or not. Educate yourself.

• It doesn't matter if you believe or not. It's a fact.

• @HighlanderTheOne okay well I'm just saying I believe the same thing as the 25-29 year old anon. It's a lot of leaps of faith. If it's a fact you can be content with knowing that yourself and not harassing other people to believe it.

What Guys Said 18

• What do you mean 'believe' in it? It doesn't require belief, it simply is. There is more than enough evidence to support it beyond any kind of reasonable doubt. You can see it happening now, with your own eyes. It is ridiculous to think otherwise. All you have to do is look at something like the Panda Bear to realize that if a singular creator was responsible for populating the earth with animals instead of evolution, that creator was an idiot. Pandas transitioned from carnivore to herbivore, but it has been a shitty process. Their gut bacteria doesn't break down the cellulose very well. If they were created, they would have been created with the ability to eat the food they eat. They were not. Because they slowly, over time, made adjustments to their diet based on changing circumstances. You know... evolution. Their gut flora is changing to be better at it, but slowly. Too slowly. Only an idiot would build something and give it the wrong engine on purpose. Evolution requires random mutation - some of which are good, some of which are bad. The ability to eat bamboo made them better at surviving, so those traits were passed on. But the ability to handle that has been slow to catch up.

There are cases like this all over the animal kingdom. Look at how fast dogs change, and how mutable they are. Look at how bacteria becomes resistant to antibiotics. We can see the changes happening. We can see the evolution of bacteria happening right now, right here.

Why do I believe it? Because it is true. And has been proven to be so within an acceptable range of probability.

Basically you either agree with a collection of some of the most intelligent thinkers on the planet, or you take the stance that there was some creator being that didn't know what the fuck it was doing... I'll side with the intelligence. It's the same reason why I 'believe' that the Earth revolves around the Sun, basically. Because it does.

• You can't 'believe' in evolution the same way you can't 'believe' in gravity or the sky. They just are. Not 'believing' in them means you ignore a basic principle of life that just... is.

• I believe that species can evolve to fit their environment but I don't believe that everything evolved from some single celled bacteria that got struck by lightning. No, with as much biodiversity as there is and as complex as each organism is, i think its ignorant to think that someone didn't create everything. For me that means that God created everything and gave his creation the ability to match itself to its environment.

• Let's see, do I listen to the texts of questionable authorship of a religion of which I am not a part which really don't say anything about the truth or fiction of evolution, or do I listen to, y'know, facts? There's no believing. Believing is for stuff you can't prove with any real degree of confidence. Evolution happened. The bones are in the ground. It's happening right now. It's observable on a small scale.
    Now intelligent design I'm more open to debate on. In most cases, there is no reason to suggest there was some plan in mind for the evolution of a species. But in the case of flatfish such as the flounder, I'm at a loss. They are born with one eye on each side of their head, then one eye migrates to the other side of the fish to join the other eye as they mature. A fossil of an intermediate stage of flatfish evolution displays one eye only partially migrated so it's higher up on the head but still on its own side. Natural selection doesn't seem to explain this. What advantage would these fish have that would allow them to survive over other species? They wouldn't be able to lie on their sides with both eyes looking up like a modern flatfish, and if they swam like regular fish, their crooked eyes would mean their binocular vision was way off! Room for the actions of a deity? Perhaps. That or aliens.

• Yes I do. There is plenty of evidence to support it. Different fossils in various rock layers, DNA testing, and selective breeding creating new traits in plants and animals are examples of why I believe evolution exists.

• I am one of those people that just accept it - It seems more logical that creationism to me

• Yes, it's not if you believe it or not, it's true, it exists. The question is if you understand it.

• Yes. Why? With the discovery and understanding of DNA, checkmate

• I believe in evolution since it has been proven and also seems a lot more logical than other theories.

• Yes because there is scientific proof of species evolving

• Yep. Something greater than us is out there, sure, but they either don't know about us or don't care about a violent primitive race of primates.

• The theory of evolution?

• I'm Atheist so yes I do.

• yes, it's a fact. i'm not religious, so i don't see it as a threat to my religion.

• Yes because there's too much evidence to support it to not believe it

• There is no "believing" in evolution, yes its a theory but it has overwhelming evidence to back it up. i don't mean to be crude, but every other view is blatant ignorance, spread by the uneducated.

• Evolution is still a theory. However it seems pretty likely...

• That it happened exactly as described? Nah. They probably messed up the details.

That organisms are "evolving"? Sure. Natural selection. Just look at dogs the past 200 years and you'll find out yourself.

• Read a Richard Dawkins book. It will give you a better view on this matter.

• @HighlanderTheOne No clue what in my response made you feel I have an uninformed view. Personally I consider myself an atheist, but I have read the bible, the Quran, parts of the Torah and various other, including, Richard Dawkins.

• He's simply trying to make out like he is more intelligent than everyone else. He is commenting on everyone's opinion. I would just ignore him.

What Girls Said 5

• I love it so much I was considering a career as an evolutionary biologist. I view the theory of evolution as true because there is a plethora of evidence to support it. And there are many experiments or studies conducted in which species were seen to be diverging or changing over time.
    There's even a study on flies that prefer different fruit on trees. And so, because of their preferences, they mate with the individuals closest to them that also like the same fruit. And so, we are seeing potential sympatric speciation happen before our very eyes.

• yes i DO because of school!

• I don't "believe" in Evolution, because there's nothing to believe. It's as good as scientific fact by now.

• Yes, it seems logical to me. It's not so much as a belief in it, more of I accept it as fact. There is quite a bit of evidence to support evolution.

• 100%. There's so much proof of it