Girl Gamers: Are you feeling more accepted now or are you still afraid?

The concept of a "girl gamer" used to be mostly alien back in the early days of gaming; the hobby was obviously geared toward males and in lots of ways, it still is. But the numbers are starting to prove that females are becoming more and more interested in interactive entertainment (due in large part to the rise of mobile/casual gaming). The question is, do these girl gamers feel more secure, more accepted? Or haven't things changed enough?

4

Most Helpful Girl

• I came from the days of playing seeegggggaaa with my neighbor, and Bubsy, Paper boy with my grandma on NES, then golden gun and Road rage and Zelda on 64, to carrying around an xbox in a backpack on a skateboard to plug in wherever we landed... my point, I've never felt not accepted as a chick gamer. Instead it just made me one of the guys which worked out because I liked them better anyway, less drama. Now my husband is just jealous because I'm better at COD than him 😜

What Girls Said 3

• Meh, I don't really care. For me, I feel pretty secure. I don't generally play games online where things like microphones can be used, so no one really can find out I'm a girl. I'd be more uncomfortable with it if I did play those games. Seeing as women now make up a hell of a lot of the market for games, it's better, not because men are more accepting because they're not, but because women are more open and there's more solidarity between them.

• "I don't generally play games online where things like microphones can be used, so no one really can find out I'm a girl"

Well, that's where the overwhelming majority of the problems occur.

• That's what I mean. This question is more for those who often mix with guy gamers. Not sure if it's getting any better for them...

• I doubt it. From what I've experienced of it, it's still pretty awful which is why I'm not really comfortable with mixing with them anymore.

• Nope... I still play as a guy online.

• Very secure. I hold my own 😊👍