Not sure why I'm upset the lead role of a black guy in Star Wars was given to a British actor and not American am I just being petty?

So I was glad to finally see a person of color have a huge role in a very significant movie. But it bothered me a little that he was British. Why couldn't he be America. And the thing that annoyed me he spoke with an American accent not British at all... I know I sound petty just venting.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes that's petty. Did you know that the role of Chewbacca was shared between Peter Mayhew and a (gasp) FINNISH guy called Joonas Suotamo? Why aren't you outraged about that? Lmao

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 2

• There are not a lot of African Americans to represent us in Hollywood unfortunately.

Look at iris elba, he is British and he plays African American a lot
    Lypita N'yoongo she is a Kenyan mexican
    Thandie Newton she is British she plays American a lot

• Erm... Ok? Little weird.

What Guys Said 9

• Maybe Brits play Americans better than Americans do? The guy got the role because he was chosen as the best for the part. Not sure that ethnicity or culture had anything to do with it.

• most of the actors/actresses in star wars are British
    i don't see why it would bother you?

• Well leading roles were mostly American. The thing that bothered me was that a huge huge role was not given to an America.

• hope you don't search on google British people that played Americans, you will be furious with the surprising results, most you would of thought where American as well, just good at acting.

• Not upset his British I could careless about any other country. Just wished for a huge huge huge franchise when it came to a person of color kind of wished it was an American

• DEY TUK URR JEOBS!!!

• It is a common saying these days in the press, that American actors aren't matching the "tough & gruff" look for lead roles in action films (in comparisons to foreigners).

AKA, most American actors are too "pretty".

• British actors and actresses are better than American actors and actresses.

• But why should he be American? What makes you prefer the US over the UK, why would an American be better?

• And where's the problem?

• Why do black men get so many lead roles in American films. Answer pure class

• You're a typical ameriCUNT