I'm taking up photography. How do these pictures look?

Okay, so I'm taking up photography, but I don't actually know if I'm any good or not (I JUST started). I don't trust my friends/family to give me an honest opinion on my work because they're are too nice, I don't think they'd tell me the truth if they thought they were crap. So what do you gagers think of these shots? Please be as honest as possible.

How do these pictures look?

• They look good
  • Hate them
  • Other (please explain?)

Most Helpful Guy

• My advice is to get a real camera (not a cellphone or a point and shoot) and learn the science behind photography and the art of composition and lighting.

• I have a real camera... and yeah I'm still trying to learn, as I said, I just started (as in, began a few days ago)

• Honestly, the best way to learn would be with a manual film SLR, or at least to use your camera on fully manual mode, if it has it.

I use a Canon Rebel T3i and a 250mm zoom lens for my nature photography, but the most fun I had was lugging around my dad's old Pentax 6x7 on a tripod. I only had ten shots, and it cost 30 dollars to develop, so it forced me to fully understand what I was doing (aperture settings and whatnot) to ensure that I got a perfect shot. There were no do-overs like with digital.

I also recommend Adobe Lightroom if you're serious, but that works best with raw files.

• I'll make a note of all that, especially the adobe light room and get it all when I have the chance, thanks for the help :3

Most Helpful Girl

• Coming from a fellow photographer, I'd say you're off to a good start. I'd watch the heavy editing, like some people said. I feel like sometimes people will take mediocre photographs and put lots of editing into them to make them look better, as if that covers stuff up, but it doesn't. I used to do that. Although something I do like about your editing though, is the color treatment you use. I'm not a fan of straight up traditional color photographs--I always tweak the colors in some way or another, so if you just tone down the editing on these three, I think that will make them stronger. My advice to you is, even though you're just starting out, is to take concept into consideration too. Don't just take a photo because it looks cool; consider the meaning behind it, or what others might interpret by looking at it. I've found that over the years and in many of my classes in art school, people are really drawn to photographs and art work that they can find meaning in (whether or not it's what you intended it to mean). People like that.

What Guys Said 9

• i think the look good. you'll continue to find your 'eye' but definitely a good start.

• yeah it seems like my biggest problem was the over editing which I'll be working on

• Heed my warning young one!

Use this process:
    Research, development, improvement, production.
    Trust me, it helps a lot.

You photos are good but what you'll learn in photography is that the context and narrative are as important as the actual photos themselves!

• It seems a good start - You will find that your own personal style developing as you take more pictures just get used to the equipment and things like lighting then think more about the photos.

• The last one i liked, the others i got a very generic instagram filter vibe from.
    Maybe without the filters next time?

• Avoid filters.

• Only the last one is good would bang your pictures ;P

• They all suck

• They look good

• They are fine , you see stuff in things that other people may not

What Girls Said 6

• Waaayyyyyy overly edited in an obviously bad way. Lighten up on the editing until you learn how to edit without making it a bad over edit.

• They look nice!

• They're fine. Nothing extraordinary about them but they are good for starting. Keep up the hard work.

• They are alright

• If you are really interested in photography, there should be many questions to your work. What kind of style defines you the most in photography? What can make you stand out more than usual photographer? I have to be true here, those photos look dark and what are the messages behind those? What are you trying to convey people about those images? Photography is not just taking picture you only see, props are needed too, if you want to see what you have never seen before. That would make your work interesting.

• I've already asked myself such questions, only I'm still practicing them. And yes, honestly I prefer darker things, hidden meanings, etc. Thank you for your feed back.

• Too much editing for my liking.