Am I the only one who doesn't care for LOTR?

I mean everyone in those movies are white people which makes the series seem too culturally centered on white people. And they talk in like a super weird old way that doesn't even remotely relate to the modern world. And even the action and killing isn't as cool as like kung fu movies or superhero movies or anything more modern.

i just find the series boring. And then there are themes that have a slight veneer of addiction and stuff that aren't that interesting to me.

i'm just curious if i'm the only one that feels that way.

• I don't care for LOTR it's overrated
  • No way it's the cooolest lolz

Most Helpful Guy

• The books have a certain atmospheric charm. The movies have good acting for the most part but suffer from commercialization, they have been 'biggerized'.

Tolkien, the author of LotR wrote it as a sort of alternate mythology for Britain so of course it's mostly white people, other sorts of people being kind of thin on the ground in prehistoric Britain.

If I went to see a movie about ancient mythological Africa I don't think I'd expect to see a lot of white people and would not be disappointed by their absence.

What Girls Said 4

• Never seen it

• It's pretty incredible, because of the film techniques they used to film it, and the location. Other than that... It's overrated

• LOTR is good, the hobbit is overrated though

• I prefer the Lord of the Rings, over the Hobbit. Tolkien wrote it to be centered around Medieval Europe, which is why it seems like everyone is white and English (British) speaking.

What Guys Said 9

• I've never seen any Lord Of The Rings movies. Same deal with Harry Potter. I prefer movies or TV shows based in reality and not set in fantasy worlds. I do like Game Of Thrones, but I don't think I'm as gung-ho about it as many are, for the same reason, it's all fictional stuff with dragons and supernatural shit, but it's well-done at least.

• Haradrim and the orcs is the closes thing that you can get to non-whites in lotr, but this is one of the things that makes lotr so great, and also the world of middle earth is inspired by medieval Europe, and there was almost no non-whites in Europe at this era. Lotr is related to the modern world more then you think, the forces of evil in lotr are very similar to islamists, and have almost the same goals, and as for swords and bows, they simple more classic and honorable then guns and bombs. Lotr is not about superhuman feats, even Gandalf is using his swords far more then his magic, and that is one of the things that make lotr more realistic then many kung fu and superheros fantasies. The closest thing that lotr have to an superhero is legolas. Lotr is not all about fighting, it's also abut the atmosphere, and if you don't like it then too bad. Lotr is more like game of thrones without all the unnecessary porn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbsLTAO7Ra8

s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...4f1a896a8a.jpg

vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/.../latest

ecx.images-amazon.com/.../619uMc8ujAL._SX342_.jpg

• Middle Earth is based off of medieval Europe, their culture, and their myths and legends dude.
    Of course they're friggin white.
    And of course it seems centered on European culture.
    That's because it's BASED off of it😱
    I can see you just not liking it, but don't not like it for stupid reasons.

• Slightly overrated series as I've seen it. Lord of the Rings is great from many perspectives but still overrated quite a bit.

• Each to their own I guess
    3.bp.blogspot.com/.../eye+twitch.gif

• Your complaints are generally applicable to the fantasy genre overall, and it is there that I believe the true issue lies. You just don't care for the genre.
    Personally, I enjoyed Lord of the Rings greatly (I haven't seen the movies, mind), but can definitely see where it would not appeal to some, being very lore-heavy and unevenly paced with a tendency towards slowness.

• Those hobbit movies were boring as hell. Even the trees walked in those movies.

• I only seen the Hobbit

• I never cared for LOTR either, never saw the appeal. I'm obviously missing something as I'm outweighed by the multitude of fans who do enjoy it, but it's just not my cup of tea.