I always ask this. I'm a bibliophile
No that doesn't mean I'm turned on by books
It means I'm a person who gets excited to have new books, loves to collect and read them. Anything else like the damn ebook or the books you listen to are eh.
I'm asking if anyone else here also reads physical books xD
I only ask because I got called strange by my friends when I decided to start the game of thrones books rather than watch the series (I'm currently on the second book).
I always say I'd rather imagine the world and how the characters look myself rather than see it through someone else's eyes.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's remarkable to me how little most people read. I have walls of books all around my house, thousands of them and it's common for people who don't know me to ask, "did you really read all these books", like asking me if I'd eaten a whole cow at one sitting.

• Haha I know that feeling. My collection is pretty big for a girl only 18. I want to have my own library. By that I mean collect books my whole life and put them in a room that's gonna be a personal library. And my friends do get shocked that I've read all of mine too 😂

• I generally just mumble something. I figure telling them "yes and for every one here I've probably read four or five others" would not be a constructive thing to say. The problem when you read a lot is talking to people who don't. It's difficult because your interests become more rarefied. I suppose to them you seem distracted and full of strange notions.

• Haha it's true. Books are better than series and such I think. Or even movies. Because you have this freedom to imagine it yourself

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 16

• I read a lot. I love going to old used book stores. I even like the way they smell, with that kind of musty old book smell. I like to own the books myself, but I've started getting them from the library more often.

I might try an ebook reader if I can borrow one. But I'm pretty sure I won't like it. My eyes can't handle reading from screens for long. One thing about ebooks is that as far as I know you can't buy them used. I can get used paperbacks for much cheaper than new ebooks. Paperbacks are much cooler and more personal anyway. Ebook readers just seem cold and uninviting.

• I know what you mean about using your imagination when reading. I met an English professor at a party one night and we got talking about favourite books I picked "Tortilla Flat" by John Steinbeck (Steinbeck wrote very simple stories with minimal plots and character description). The professor asked me why I liked the book and I said it was so simple, Steinbeck gave you a frame but you the reader put in all the detail subplots, nuances, character development until it feels like your book and your interpretation of it will be unique to every other reader of the book. The professor said that was the perfect way to describe the book.

• I read for information. I'm starting this book called "Spy the Lie:How to spot deception the CIA Way."

• I'm very similar to you in that I love to collect books. I go to garage sales and antique stores on the weekend looking for books and novels that aren't in my collection. My idea of a great weekend is finding a great book and reading it cover to cover uninterrupted, although that doesn't happen often.

• www.crazytownblog.com/.../6a012876c6c7fb970c017c322cebd8970b-pi

One of my standard "get to know you" questions is what is the last book you've read?
    If they say something like they don't like to read... yeah... It was nice meeting you.

• hmm, not anymore but there was a time where i could plow a 600 page book in a day. Haven't felt that desire in awhile

• Nope I love movies and TV shows. While I admit the Harry Potter and Percy Jackson books were better the movies go at more my pace

• I'm lazy and wait for the film!

• I enjoy reading but I do it very rarely. I like reading before going to bed but usually I'm way too late so I don't have time for that.

eh I read a couple of mangas lately if that counts but apart from that... nothing read for a long time lol.

• Hey don't knock the Kindle Paperwhite!! I'll always love physical copies but it's damn convenient. I read all the time.

• I don't like it haha I like to feel the pages as I flip them over. I like the smell of the book plus my eyes can't handle starring at a screen. My mum reads ebooks and she wants me to start too because books are expensive 😂

• i am a avid reader and i love reading paperback books but nowadays buying so many books are expensive so in that way, ebooks are awesome.
    Game of Throne books are good but i personally feel that the episodes are much much better, i suggest you to just try watching some game of throne episode

• I watched a couple and didn't like it at all. It follows the story like the books yes but not 100%. More like 80% and Hollywood added their own thing to it by making some characters gay which never happened in the books. So do rather stick to the original rather than watch it. You say game of thrones is amazing try reading it. The story is more intense

• Well, I'm reading you're question right now does that count? :v
    I have quite a lot of books so yeah... I 'read' XD

• I read a lot. Boring stuff considered to most lol.

• No but I can squat over 400 pounds

• Good for you. Why do you care what they say?

• I do love to read and i do understand you prefer the books

What Girls Said 11

• Bibliophile reporting. I enjoy watching TV series/films but I like to read the book first (and sit and moan about the differences to anyone that will listen - willingly or not). If I don't read the book until after I've seen it I get a whole new dimension. Watching adaptations without reading the book is like walking round with only one eye open.

I prefer proper books but I have nothing against ebooks. Feels good knowing I have an entire library in my bag. Not a fan of audio though. I like to read not listen.

• I get what you mean. I'm always reading this or that. So much so, that my friends used to tease me saying, my husband should never make the mistake of buying me a book. However, right now I have to keep moving because of work and I can't afford to buy and hoard books. Hence I've switched to ebooks. I hate it but at least this way I get to read. But you're right, books are irreplaceable.

• I mean anyone can buy an ebook but it's more exciting if you buy I don't know a signed copy or a limited edition ot a very old book you wanted for your collection. It's more thrilling that to just click the buy button for an ebook for those very same books

• I know. Well I can't afford to buy books and ditch them every time I move.

• If I didn't I couldn't be answering this question now could I?

But seriously no I do not read for fun and I strongly dislike reading.

• I love reading as well, and I prefer physical books to e-books, too. Nothing strange about it!

• I used to be just like that. I only wanted books as gifts and I saved all my money to buy new ones. I don't read anymore, I just don't get the same enjoyment out of it

• I love reading.

I have trouble with losing interest in things a lot, and it's about the only thing that doesn't happen for.

• I love to read especially thrillers

• Yeah but not currently

• All time time! I love muder mysteries

• I like reading, but I don't read, if that makes sense :(

• Reading is for gays and communists