Should male characters in video games and comics be sexualized like the female characters?

First, half-naked female characters in video games, comics, anime etc. don't bother me at all. It's a non-issue with me, I realise that this kind of stuff lends itself to fantasy and escapism. But, I can't help but notice that in some intstances the girls are usually half-naked, sometimes even full on naked, while the men do what they will full cothed and in suits of armor, I feel that this is a bit of a double standard and I can't help but wonder why.

So, should the comic creators and video game developers sexualize male characters as well (As in have them wear skimpy, highly revealing outfits just like their female counterparts.)?

Would you play a video game or read a comic that had both sexes depicted in revealing attire?

• Yes. Gives us ladies (and gay men) some eye candy and put male characters on equal ground with the female characters, they should show some skin too.
  • No. Games, Comics and Anime need to tone down the sexuality.

Most Helpful Guy

• Literally every male comic character is 6'3, musclebound, charming, wealthy and hot.
    Most guys on TV are high status guys and tall. The average every day real life guy looks generic as hell.

Stop fucking pretending society doesn't sexualize men. Fucking tired of this feminist manipulative bullshit. Stop playing the fucking victim.

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 19

• Most women think a man in a suit is sexier than a shirtless man.
    Still, many male characters are sexualized, that's why you see them all with huge muscles and many don't wear shirts.

• The target demographic of most of these videogames are men, and men like seeing sexy women. There may be a few women that slip through the cracks of farmville and other shitty facebook/phone app games and play these specific fighting games, but most women don't actually play these sorts of genres (and the ones that do tend not to give a shit + like the ability to look 'cute' while playing the game anyway).

This is a complete non-issue made into a massive problem by feminist media and retarded chicks that don't actually care about the gaming community or industry and just care about feeling offended while invading male spaces.

• "So, should the comic creators and video game developers sexualize male characters as well (As in have them wear skimpy, highly revealing outfits just like their female counterparts.)?"

If they are going to deliberately sexualise female characeters, then why not?

"Would you play a video game or read a comic that had both sexes depicted in revealing attire?"

I don't see why not. I'm not going to play a game that's blatantly using the "characters" as, well, sex objects but I don't really mind if they have the characters (male or female) be physically appealing and show it (in a tasteful way).

• It's actually been proven that sexualized women appeal to everyone, while sexualized men only appeal to women and gay men.

It's not a matter of sexism, but marketing.

• There's plenty of sexualised blokes in games and stuff, it's just done a bit differently.
    I mean I'd bang Bang.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdKfgC0r0X4

• they basically are. most of them have very unrealistic bodies too!

s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...6d02fea8fc.jpg

• http://a65.tinypic.com/1ql3cm.jpg
    I see what you mean, it's like there's just nothing out there that could possibly seem sexualized.
    I don't see anyone complaining about all the tumblrinas out there shipping Fin and Poe as a gay romance and writing erotic fiction about it.

• There's no moral or ethical reason that men shouldn't be sexualized in video games, as are women, but it'd be a shame to invest so much money in developing a video game just for it to flop because some huge percentage of gamers automatically wouldn't play it...

• It's more of a matter of marketing actually what gets a certain % of people to see, view or buy their stuff as apposed to something else. And what appeals to what it has very little to do with sexism.

• You can't blame them from sexualizing the female characters. Not saying you are, just speaking in general. The creators of games and comics and all that have an audience that they need to satisfy. There may be female gamers and geeks but males are still the primary audience and they like what they like.

• Two words - fighting games. There are shirtless and/or diapered guys everywhere.

hadoken.net/.../GillUrien.jpg

• this was hot shit when i was young

http://i63.tinypic.com/300cjya.jpg

• Who do you think make the video game straight nerdy males if you want stuff to change learn how to code and do it your self. Until then stop complaining. Men are men not girls

• games and animes are full of overly sexualized men.

• I don't know it kinda feels like fan-service ruins some animes

• I rarely see women sexualized or objectified as much as they were a while ago in video games.

• True. You can blame Anita for that.

• Anita hasn't known what she was talking about in one damn video.
      I think I lost count of the number of glaring inaccuracies or outright lies Thunderf00t found in her bull.

• @ScruffynateAK I lost my shit when Thunderf00t explained Anita's anecdote of Hitman: Absolution.

• You are obviously not a gamer! If you did you would realize most guy characters are super buff with perfect six packs, tall, thuck jeads of hair, they are basically male models. Typical feminist troll!

• A lot of them are, in that they're very typically buff, tough guys that are the obvious hallmarks of what's considered attractive for a male, just like female characters. Think Solid Snake, Dante from Devil may Cry, heck, all number of male characters in games for that matter.

Also, if you're sick of tacky female characters, well just play a better class of game :p Mass Effect had some great male and female characters for example.

It'd be like me going to watch fast and furious and expecting pride and fucking prejudice :D

• They do just no one gives a damn. Ever see Uriel from street fighter? The only thing covered up are his genitals. It doesn't get more revealing than that unless you went 100% nude.

What Girls Said 3

• Its just a game.. a game.

• They are already sexualized. Never played Mortal Kombat?

• Yeah, I have. I haven't played the new one yet but I got the last one when it came out and loved it immensely.

• Yeah, MK9 was awesome.

• Asker must be a feminist, they are the only ones dumb enough to say with a straight face that only women are sexualized in games.

• I don't see why men shouldn't be made to bare all in fantasy media, it's only fair. So yeah, bring on the spartan he-men in speedos... no wait a minute... we had that already, it was called 300 and it's a badass movie.