Does music taste matter in a relationship?

I'm just curious. How much does music taste between two partners affect compatibility?

Most Helpful Guy

• depends on the couple. to me, hardly.

Most Helpful Girl

• i don't think it's a big deal. even if they're different it can be kinda fun to bring those 2 worlds together.

What Guys Said 15

• ZERO... it doesn't matter even a little bit.
    I suppose if your whole life is music, then maybe?
    but I rarely listen to music. I like audio books and podcasts.
    But I can tolerate almost any kind of music. I have that husband/father ability of tuning out anything that doesn't interest me.

• Naa not really, it's a good way to learn to appreciate another genre

• As a singer and music lover, it does to me. If she only listened to 1-2 genres, even if they were genres I myself liked or loved, and refused to give other genres a chance, that just screams closemindedness. Which to me is synonymous with ignorance, and ignorance is a huge turn off.

• No, we were teasing each other about that truckload of crap we're listening to (what ever it was).

On the other hand, it can mean the world of difference, but it's an issue for the people who think the world revolves around them. Quite a bit of them around, in fact.

• I barely listen to music, so I doubt it that it would matter for me in normal situations.

• It doesn't affect anything for me, it'd still be the same even if I hate the music she's into.

• If I can listen to Debbie Gibson, 80s
    ballads / pop-rock, and 2000s soft rock, she can listen to WHATEVER she wants. I won't complain.

• As a musician, and music lover it's definitely something that might affect me. I'm very into the music I listen too and I'd always like a partner to enjoy it with me. But whether a partner likes my music is not the determining factor in a good relationship. And it seems to me like not many guys think it matters. But if partners can at least pretend to enjoy the other's music, then it could be really nice, and who knows? The two might even have a change in style of music

• not much, it's just one of topics..
    i think common sense about ideology, future and family is more important.

• I don't know, but I like most music so it's usually not a problem for me.

• About 99% of the girls who I ever knew were either into pop, pop-rap, or pop-country. So no, their musical taste couldn't really matter to me.

• not a big deal at all

• This girl i was talking to likes country and im a bit more into r&b

we get along pretty well

• I thought it didn't until the last girl I dated. Everything she loved I hated and vice versa. Music made everything from foreplay to car rides completely horrible so we just avoided music when together. We eventually broke up. It wasn't the music that killed it but it definetly didn't help.

• Yes if they insist on listening to it. I couldn't sit and listen to country, rap or pop music regularly.

What Girls Said 13

• Not much. At least, not for me. I basically like all types of music. Country, I dislike very much. I liked a guy who liked Country music though, and while I definitely was not a fan of it, I had no problem with him liking it because I liked him and that's all that mattered. He treated me well and we got along great so I saw no reason for me to get all bent out of shape about his music choices.

• It doesn't matter at all. I don't care. I would care more about his political affiliations than his Music taste.

• probably that's the last thing i concern in compatibility

• Noo. Opposite worlds sometimes make a better match.

• Lol no.

• nah... Not really.

• I think it doesn't matter
    I don't care about a guy's musical taste as long he doesn't listen to songs with racist, sexist, xenophobic or homophobic content.

• I don't care as long as it's not fucking dubstep that they play around me 24/7 because it gives me headaches and I'll go bat shit insane.

• Not really. Just don't be a rap fan.

• Not really. I mean, I want to be able to enjoy their music too, even if it's not what I usually listen too. But, it shouldn't really matter with that.

• As long a he doesn't listen to rap

• With every past boyfriend I've had, we had completely different music tastes and it completely killed it. My current boyfriend and I love the same music and we're actually going to a concert together. It just depends how much music means to you, because it's a massive part of my life.

• my boyfriend likes those trance music and i prefer hip hop. but that doesn't affect our relationship lol