Why are white people speaking out AFTER jada pinkett smith has called out the oscars?

White people in Hollywood come off fake. They want people to think they are so progressive and tolerant but I know for a fact many of them are just the opposite. Self righteous, intolerant, arrogant, racist. How do you guys feel seeing that?

Most Helpful Guy

• This is nothing new. Typically the first person to scream that a white person is being racist, is another white person trying to come across as progressive and tolerant. Hollywood is full of those types. We can't even show our disapproval about sexist laws in another country without some Hollywood liberal screaming that we are being racist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zwv9Vum3QB0

Most Helpful Girl

• Jada is only complaining because Will was not nominated.

Although I do agree that there needs to be more diversity in the actors pool, I don't believe any black actor particularly stood out in any movie last year. Will Smith definitely does not deserve sn award, not because he is black but because he sucks

• Shouldn't there be more diversity in nba? If you say no you are a hypocrite.

• True, but we don't live in history aka past. Last time I checked blacks can make their own entertainment. Tyler Perry did it. Did he not? Asian cinema is made with 100 percent Asian casts. I don't see you pushing them for more black actors. No one is stopping black countries from making their own movies either. Also, you can't say basketball is different because its not. Entire point of affirmative action was to balance out things. Guess what? Asians who average height of 5'6 won't be able to compete with taller people. Physical disadvantages. So if you were for diversity you would have to throw in a few Asians.

• @sento15 shut up

What Guys Said 9

• Lool i actually laughed a lot when i read this bullshit honestly... She is noone and yet she speaks about this so called "issue" like she has won 10 oscars -.- Seriously, they're all white cause they fucking deserve to be up there, and at the end win ofc! It's not their fault that (probably) black actors are not that talented and don't deserve to even be nominated at all!! The previous oscars i recall lupita winning an oscar if I'm not wrong, so they weren't against it then huh? A black woman has spoken, the wife of a black "fantastic, out of this world actor" will smith lel overrated af! I hate those kind of people like her! They have no right to boycott the oscars because of this bullshit nor to make assumptions like that! All the people that are nominated are there right now cause they deserve it and they did a great job, not because the oscars are racist lol wth is wrong with some people they're so full of themselves... Not racist or anything but I hope the next 5-10 years not one black person wins an oscar (except denzel w. he is amazing) just because of this happening now

• wow, just ignorant that you say that, yes you are racist, (I hope not one black person wins an oscar), that's sad.

• @lacorine197 I said because of all the black people... Meaning the people supporting her we know they're all black, it's not the same as "All black people support her" wth stop twisting my words lel

• Lacorine you are an idiot. Saying black people support her is not a racist comment. Learn what racism means.

• I'm sorry, but they wanna get nominations just based on the color of their skin instead of on their talent. Of course white actors and actresses gotta speak out, cause this affects them too.
    When a black actor is worthy of an Oscar s/he'll be given one, like it has happened many time, for example Denzel Washington, twice.

Stop whining and start working, for fucks sake, your skin doesn't make you worthy of anything.

• I agree! Down with this meritocracy when it comes to artistic performances! Give them awards for being black!

• Who the fuck is Jada Pinkett Smith, and why does anyone care what she says about the Academy Awards?

• You don't know Jada pinkett fucking smith bruh? WTH is wrong with you, she won teen choice awards in 2003 (matrix duude) and was nominated for people choice awards (gotham), she is the wife of a famous and very veery gifted actor Mr. Will F. Smith! He also won a lot of teen choice awards and mtv and and.. People choice awards! How dare you question her and her talent, damn you Jake! *sarcasm off*
      Like seriously, who the fuck is she or even her "almost won an oscar husband", yeah he is a good actor just not oscar worthy! I hate this kind of people so much, no matter the colour of their skin, the gender and so on.. They need to get down from their high horses and see where they actually belong! If she wasn't married to will she wouldn't even attend the oscars lol

• So which black people were entitled to an oscar nomination this year, and why?

• Because there dividing the races even more! If a black actor/actress didn't deserve the award then they shouldn't get it...

• She's just mad because Will didn't get nominated for that shitty Concussion film.
    I don't see Asian people complaining on a lack of Asian nominees.

• Why is it NBA can be majority black and not be diverse and people complain about oscars being mostly white? Guess what maybe blacks just aren't acting good enough to win the oscar. Same reason Leo hasn't won as oscar despite all nominations. Black people are crybabies.

• Seriously, I've never understood how predominantly black sports are okay being racially skewed because, well, it's a meritocracy, but if any field is skewed heavily white it must be the result of racism. It couldn't be that the best actors, directors, editors, etc are white, no, it *has* to be the result of racism.

• Also the best thing doesn't stand because you can argue acting is skillset. Even then blacks support AFFIRMATIVE action which is literally because they can't compete with whites/asians in intelligent fields. Sorry but being honest here.

• Because they're a bunch of butthurt losers!

I'm white by the way.

I think the USA has always had an issue with black people I don't understand it.

What Girls Said 7

• LOL what a bunch of whining about nothing, like the world needs to stop because some millionaire (billionare?) like Jada Pinkett Smith is all butthurt that her no-talent husband didn't get nominated for an award. Most of the white people I've heard "speak out" are doing so to mock the boycotters.

• You've basically answered your own question, as to why white people in the media tend to largely speak out against racism after the fact versus before. It doesn't matter how or when they go about it...
    It'll almost always result in the minority or oppressed group in replying with how they 'think they are so progressive and tolerant but I know for a fact many of them are just the opposite. Self righteous, intolerant, arrogant, racist.'

ie. Fighting a losing battle. You'll believe whatever you want to and disprove whatever counters that belief.

• If only there were awards specifically for black actors that exclusively disqualify (deliberately) white actors, pooling from black talent only. If only. If there were, I'd call it the BET awards or something.

• There were lots of great performances by black actors and actresses this year, and it's a shame that they didn't get nominated. But it's not as if there's never been black nominees or winners at the Oscars. I think people have become comfortable speaking out against perceived injustices, and that's great! But I feel bad for all the actors who DID get nominated. All this controversy must put a damper on their achievement...

But it's not the first time Oscar winners have been angry at the Academy and boycotted the ceremony: flerika.com/.../5-Oscar-Winners-Who-Snubbed-the-Award

• Everyone in Hollywood is fake. I do feel like Idris Elba was slighted but it is what it is. At the end of the day they still get paid whether or not they get nominated or not. Box office sales speak for themselves.

• This is not about a racial side. Thats the problem with the media people only listen to the dramatic side instead of doing research and looking at the statistics.

• Yeah some do come off as they just want to be on the bandwagon and seem progressive. I do agree that the person/people should be nominated for awards based on talent... not based on gender or the color of their skin. I think Idris was overlooked for a Golden Globe.