Is modern music really THAT awful and low-quality, compared to music "back in the day'?

• modern music nowadays really is THAT low in quality compared to music of the past
  • the idea of "modern music being not as good" is overblown

Most Helpful Girl

• That's not entirely true, it depends on what genre. I think pop and rap and hip hop are the most focused and they're the ones taking most of the flak because by nature they're supposed to stay relevant even through the changing times which might make it harder. There was also this study I read about where I think it was the older you get the less pleasure you derived from things, like listening to new music so its like the music from your younger days will always carry that nostalgic feel good feeling that you can't get from new music and that's why you'll always like you're old music more. Don't quote me on that though. It might be complete bs lmao. But there's a huge variety of music out there so modern music doesn't have to be limited to the stuff you hear on the radio.

• The typos are cringe-worthy. Please excuse them all, by the way. I don't know why my phone does this.

• *excusing your typos* :)

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 17

• I love 70s and 80s music. LOVE. I have a playlist on Spotify with tons of the classics. I mean modern music can be good and I think its a tad bit over exaggerated that its like horrible, but of course modern can't beat the 70's-90's music, nothing even close to beating it.

• On average, I don't care for much on the radio today. BUT I wouldn't have cared for the majority of the stuff on the radio in the 80's either. There are many more years of music to select from from 'old music' vs the modern music. So, to be fair, it's math not just taste.

I would consider Radiohead's music great, even in the 2000's.

https://youtu.be/cfOa1a8hYP8

and my favorite haunting song

https://youtu.be/nVw9gsNFZlA

Additionally, there is great music, obviously subjective to me, that can be found everywhere if one looks.

Evy James, some of Lana, Bjork, Fiona Apple (albums consistently rated very well), some of Sia, Massive Attack is good (but I haven't listened to a lot of their new stuff)

Of course the quality of radio music compared to the gems of the best is not good. But in 10 years, we will realize that we liked a lot more songs from this era than we thought we did.

• People like what they like.. and.. most people, at some point, stop expanding those boundaries.

Everything outside of a persons boundaries, is crap.

like for me, everything before the Beatles, is crap
    most 60's music, is crap.
    most 70's music, is crap.
    most 80's music, is crap.

90's music, is the music I grew up on, it was my Dad's music, and when he died, I got all of his CD's (I have the biggest CD collection of everyone I know lol)

2000 to current.. some I like, some I don't. but really, that is true of everyone in their own "era" of music.

at some point, I'll stop liking most new music. I'll stop wanting to go to shows all the time, especially the little hole in the wall ones..

and then.. I will truly know...

I am old.

• People do like what they like, but some of this stuff can be comparable to food. You are what you eat, so what if you only eat junk food and listen to crap music? You're gonna have a bad time

And hello again Betwyn~

• Just started to listen to bob marley, I really like the beegees songs. I don't mind too much some stuff today.

• While I prefer older music, there is some modern stuff that I don't mind. It depends on what it is, but I'm really not a fan of how rap is mixed in with almost everything now.

• Rap died in 2010.

• Don't take it seriously. You don't have to keep up with the latest music. But yeah, I agree... everything is about weed, dope, hoes, bitches, booze, raise your fucking hands etc. lol

• Rappers today don't speak about real life issues anymore. All they talk about is sex, drugs, party, and girls. The sad thing is that they can't even be taken seriously as an artist because their music is crap and you can't barely hear a word they say in their songs because of so much auto tune some even try to sing and can't sing. Yet these same rappers claim they were influenced by Run DMC, Tupac, NWA, etc. but it doesn't show in their music. I'm highly disappointed in hip hop right now! Even R&B music went downhill. There's no soul or funk in it anymore, just trashy techno.

• I would say yes. I can think about good modern songs, but there's no doubt that the old ones are better.
    It seems like today the majority of songs are about boobs, butts, drugs or sex...
    And singers use auto tune which makes things worse.

• I prefer older music, 90's EDM and 80's New Wave & Synth Pop

• Yes very much so. You're lucky to find a decent identifialble distinctive track these days if you can.

• If music is awful or bad quality is personal taste. I like heavy rock, house and lounge music. I am sure most of you will like somethings different.

Of course you could be talking about audio quality which is a completely different subject that I am passionate about.

• Just like food, there's a difference between "a difference in taste" and someone who only indulges in cheap junk food for every meal.

Taste is taken into account, but some music is definitely less "healthy" than others. Mostly stuff with really dumbed down lyrics and no depth, is just like only eating potato chips. It's _really_ not good for you

• Anybody that thinks Today's music is at it's best are either lying to themselves or just got poor taste! I don't listen to any new music unless the artist has real talent and puts out really good music. Right now, Adele is the only singer that knows what real music and talent is. All these other artists are just a bunch of phonies. They basically copy each other style. There is no originality or creativity in today's music. Everything sounds the same and the lyrics to the songs are garbage.

• Compared to 80s and 90s which is what I like todays music is pretty bad. esp hip hop and rap which was way better back then. stuff since I was born is blah

• Yeah, stopped listening to music altogether

• You clearly haven't been listening to UK Garage

• i swear you all are so bitter omg, freaking crybabies. music is better now than ever

• No, modern music ia awesome and I love it. I like very few of the old songs.

• Depends what genre.

What Guys Said 28

• It comes down to the analysis of themes, and the art behind execution and presentation of said themes. There have been good acts in the past and present. There have been stinkers in both the past and the present.

The biggest reason that the garbage artists today make it seem like garbage is all there is, is because studios specifically manipulate the marketing that way. Because they know how much kids who are of a weak mind and lack conviction are desperate for conformity at the expense of doing whatever the marketers tell them to do. So the trash is what gets marketed, and the kids buy it not for actual quality but because they want to conform to the market religion of the age. Because they fear the consequences of becoming a social outcast for rejecting what's being pushed as the norm - even if the artist being pushed as the new norm is a piece of immoral slime.

However, good artists have not died out. They just aren't given the press they deserve. Those who complain the most that today's music is all crap, don't realize that what they are really upset about is the MARKETING of music. THAT, is what is all crap now.

It's on purpose. Those who do it have a worldview-based agenda. It's indoctrination, turned into a profitable strategy (monetarily speaking.) But because the agenda becomes so sacred, they'll push it even at the expense of alienating a potential fringe audience.

For example: NBC's ratings would skyrocket if they agreed to host the 3rd party debates, and give it all the glamour and spectacle they are so willing to pour out on Democrats. But they won't. Because that one time, they value ideology over money and fame.

To acknowledge those parties would be to lend them credence. And since the current White House press staff contains blood relatives of several mainstream network executives, the conflict of interest has never been more blatant.

It'd be naive to think such politics don't also go on in music marketing. I forget who said it, but they said if you seize control of a nation's music and arts, you control the soul of that nation. If entrenched enough, elected leaders become irrelevant.

• It's definitely different. It depends what you're looking for I guess, and would depend on the genre as well. I speak on rap and R&B better than the others, and I'd say that the sweet spot was definitely in the 90s, but there's been some decent post-2000 stuff made. I didn't believe much in post-2010, but you got me on that Young Thug, haha. I mean, if you're looking for lyricism, the pickings are slim from what I know. Kendrick is nice, probably a handful of others, but I think Drake and Future and the like are what music is now, and I just have had to learn to appreciate them in their own right. Some hot beats coming out lately, so even the worst lyrics can be covered up, haha. Once hip hop moved out of LA and NYC and went to ATL, the game really changed and the concepts became much more simplified, for better or worse. I didn't fuck with it at first, but I warmed up eventually. I remember Wayne had that line on the Carter II about "stop being rapper racists, region haters, if you think the South too simple, then y'all don't get the basics." That might not be exact, but that was the gist of it. I was kinda like, "yeah, that's true", and told myself to stop hatin', haha. Around the same time I was living with a bunch of football players from Florida and Georgia and Virginia and shit, so I just heard so much of it after I while I got into it, and now I try to be a little more accepting and just take stuff for what it is rather than get caught up in some old man "back in my day" mentality.

• Next time, please don't use one really long paragraph. That was hard to read through, no offense

• @M_A_X Sorry bro, I'm a "stream of consciousness" writer, haha

• It is not. In the past, there were tons of terrible songs too. The thing is, the songs of the past which we know today are merely the good/decent ones. The terrible ones have been long forgotten. So basically, we see a filtered image of the past, as opposed to the whole selection of music nowadays.

It often happens that people think the past was better than the present.

• Back in the day there was shitty music as well, but in time everyone forgot about it. Only good music will stand the test of time.

stream1.gifsoup.com/.../dr-evil-macarena-o.gif

Heyyyyyyyyyy Macarena

• Nah, people just like this hipster mentality of disagreeing with everything popular.
    It's true that some genders of music have seen better days, for example Rap music was way better back in the 90's and early 2000's, but today we still have great music from other genders, for example EDM, it's gotten better.

• Modern day EDM is rather fantastic. :-D

• EDM has a dark future because... future house is taking over which sucks big.

• EDM died during the mid 00's

• Hmm... No. Back in the day you had a dinky disc that failed to record the sound so much that the engineers have to cut off the extreme (like mp3) to make sure it's playable on your turn tables.

Oh wait, you mean the quality of music, not the sounds right? Hmm tough question. I'd say music of today is more.. tamed and lacking. A lot of songs these days were written for popularity and sales rather than for an ideal or just to be heard. That doesn't mean there aren't great songs out there but a lot of them didn't make the same impact, shock or be timeless like some of the oldies. They also lacking a certain poettric finesse.

• It is very overblown. Every generation, the previous generation would say that the older music was better. This is nothing new. 10-20 years from now, my generation is very likely going to be telling the next generation that their music sucks and that our music was way better. It is nothing new whatsoever.

• I'd have to say two things:

1. There is great modern music. However, it's usually not what gets played on the radio. The age of the band that was both awesome AND huge has passed.

2. People look back on the past through rose tinted specs. All the garbage has been filtered out and only the finest stuff gets played in/included in retro collections.

• how can anyone really go wrong with some rock.

• It's just pop music that's bad. The artist has little to no control over their creation

• A lot of today's music lacks any depth or complexity. It's fine to like that stuff sometimes, but if that's all you listen to, YOU are probably going to end up lacking depth and complexity as well.

Like all things, it's best to have a well balanced diet, because you are what you eat. You can like what you like, but make sure you're getting some damn vitamins and minerals from SOMEWHERE

• Yep, it's true, modern music really sucks...80's and 90's music was the best.

• It's true there was shitty music back in the day, but at least there was still good stuff coming out as well. I don't even know any good bands that have come out since the 90s. It's all a mixture of hipster trash, metal core trash, and the same butt rock trash that's somehow managed to stay around for 15 years or so now.

• Modern music can be alright... but none of it is on the radio lol.

• the second part of your answer is the most important part! People who say modern hip hop sucks, are only listening to the mainstream radio stuff.

• There's a seemingly endless array of genres, subgenres, crossovers, etc. to choose from, yet I very rarely come across a song that I like that was written in the past 25 years or so. My own opinion of course.

• 'Quality' is subjective.

I mean, I'll just as easily drive home from work with Led Zep or Pink Floyd on as I would The Four Owls or Avicii.

There was good and bad music 'back in the day' too. Music's ever changing - don't limit yourself to a decade or style. Good tunes are omnipresent.

• As a child of the 70's and having become into my adulthood in the 80's, I'd say today's music, for the most part, just plain sucks. My daughter, who is in her mid 20's, even loves a lot of the stuff from the 70's and 80's.

• I don't listen to 'pop' or 'rock'

• No, it just depends on the artist, cause some artist now days it's looks over voice/talent.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CuKcUU2xx4

• "popular music" has always been crap.

• Whatever you liked most at the age of 21-24 is what you'll like for the rest of your life.

It's just science.

• I believe so because music is so generic these days they shit out hit after hit every month instantly forgetting the previous hits while older music (pre 05) never seems to really grow old

• Depends who you turn to. Mainstream is garbage.

• yes, compared to the 80's, it is complete dross

• They're good in their own way. It's just a matter of popularity.

• If you're talking about pop then yes..

• I think most music today is just awful. I can hardly listen to the radio sometimes. The lyrics today's are especially bad. And rap is killing music and pop is starting to destroy music too. There is still some good stuff out but the bad way way outnumbers the good.

• No way, i fucking r/lewronggeneration people who complain about music being better in the old days especially those kids who think they're unique, put some effort into finding good music and you'll find it there have been amazing albums in the past 5 years.