Is it just me or does TV suck now?

I mean is it just that I am getting older? Or does most everything suck on TV lately? Even shows I used to like such as The Big Bang Theory, and Family Guy suck.

• Yes, TV does suck lately, its not just you
  • No new TV is awesome, (like what?)

Most Helpful Girl

• Definitely. No good producers as there were back then. Now its just throwback movies and shows that is shown on television. Tv nowadays is just about sex and drama it actually gets lame after awhile. Movies & shows about love, family, comedy, things thats interesting.. More shows that makes sense and that are consistent.

But nope.. Not anymore.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 3

• i never watch TV. netflix and prime are my go-to entertainment. everything i like gets cancelled so i'm done with TV and their bullshit ratings system

• na there are just a lot more shows now that might distract you from finding the gems u like

• Any good gems you feel I might have overlooked?

• well what kind of shows have u been into in the past?

• My personal favs are: The Big Bang Theory (until season 8 when it just started to suck) Burn Notice, Psych, Friends, old episodes of Family Guy, and Mythbusters, the only show on I still want to watch.

• I don't know, I still enjoy some stuff that's on TV.

What Guys Said 9

• It depends on the type of shows you like. I like sitcoms and can't stand current television. Shows like the big bang and family guy have ran their course. The other new shows are mostly reality shows, or dramas, that I can't stand. I have more fun watching older shows on Netflix, than watching the shows they currently have. It doesn't help that most of the new shows want to be so politically correct they all end up missing a lot of opportunities for jokes.

• " new shows want to be so politically correct they all end up missing a lot of opportunities..." I have noticed this trend as well.

• Lol actually it's the golden age of tv. All the best screenwriters are on tv and there's a ton of good shows like Game of Thrones, The Good Wife, House of Cards (although I didn't like the last season as much) Limitless (Its the show I'm watching at the moment) I also really liked Justified but I've lost track of it and have to restart somewhere. Anyway there's a ton of good shows if you want to find more try imdb. com I don't really watch comed shows a lot though I think they're repetitive and pretty boring. I'll watch like 1 or 2 epsiodes and after that it's pretty much the same thing. I think imdb is really useful because the ratings are usually pretty accurate and it reccommends you stuf tht is similar to what you like. Like I said I like a lot of the shows, although I've seen a ton of them now so I have to be a bit patient aswell.

• I've thought about that too. I've come up with the theory that as we get older we become used to the basic plots that are prevalent in TV. Teenage rebellion, Relationship Woes, Quests, Monsters/Magic, Comedy, Who-dunnit etc.

Once you get used to it you get mad that you have to see it repeated time after time. I get very aggravated when watching relationships play out. No matter the context if it's a casual hook-up, a hinted at future romance or a long standing drama rich relationship I generally hate it.

Implied Sex ticks me off the most! There's no point to having good looking people in bed under the covers. You know they're already attractive. But having them cut scene to the minutes after or artistically wrapped up in sheets without showing anything is kind like a big "Fuck You" to the viewers. Here's a bare shoulder and a leg for 14yr olds to obsess about but has nothing to do with the story.

• I think new TV is awesome.
    Vikings, Game of Thrones, Daredevil, Modern Family, Black Sails, Hell on Wheels, American Horror Story, The Walking Dead, Homeland... and many others I'm missing.

• It kind of is. Bbt has gone on long enough. Family guy literally caters to teens now.

Tv sucks in that a lot of shoes pretty much become soft core pornos mixed with drama or recycled comedies/cop shoes.

Though I like the CWs dc universe with flash/arrow. And CBS had me going with person of interest. TNTs Legends is good as well.

If I watch TV, it's late at night when the good cartoons from my childhood are on

• It caters to teens? That is disturbing as literally every episode has someones head getting blown off or sone kind of grousome disembowelment. Wtf is with teens?

• As lame as tv has gotten (for the most part), I think music is even worse.

• Yea at least all the "popular" stuff is. I have heard that the music business is 90% business 10% music. That would surely account for the explosion of crappy music.

• Depends... I think a lot of the cartoons and kids shows suck these days, I been told oh well ur grown up now... nah i can go back and still enjoy kids shows i watched. Hell im watchin the weekenders right now

• Family Guy isn't that good no more...
    Loved American Dad

Never liked Big Bang

• Most stuff does but it always did. But there's still some great shows. If you're into comedies you should watch British shows not American, American comedies are never funny. Cuckoo is recent and very good, well the first season was great, the second not as much but still good.
    You don't need to watch new stuff though, I'm sure there's lots of great old tv shows that you haven't seen

• The few British shows/comedies I have seen are on Netflix, and I am not very impressed. I watched the "IT crowd" because it was supposed to be "hilarious" and everything the BBT wasn't. I was not impressed, it felt mostly like I was watching a bad 70s SNL sketch, and most of the episodes focused on the female boss, who was the least funny of the main cast.

The Sherlock Holmes remake was just weird, it felt like they made a totally different character then slapped the "Sherlock Holmes" label on it to make it more appealing.

Do you have anything to recommend?

• Most of the IT crowd is really good, though there are some episodes I didn't like at all, and I don't like the female boss either, the other two are the funny ones. And I haven't seen all of sherlock but it's pretty funny. So maybe British humour isn't for you, though IT crowd is halfway to American type of humour
      My favourite show is Black Books, I've watched the entire series 5 times and laugh every time. Only fools and horses is brilliant but it's old (1980s-1990s). I loved 15 storeys high too, but that has a strange type of humor, it's not for everyone.
      If you don't like those I can tell you some of the ones I didn't like as much, maybe you will like them better :P