Do you believe that violence in the horror film industry has a direct correlation to real life violence?

This week I have been watching a marathon of classic and modern splatterhouse films, many of which caused a flood of controversy upon release (My Bloody Valentine, Halloween, Cannibal Holocaust, and Zombi to name a few). A major part of the controversy was the insinuation that the films inspired "copycat" crimes, Halloween in particular, and encouraged sadism and violence against women. I believe the detractors of these films are nuts. People commit violent crimes because they are sick in the head, not because of a movie. Now, the people who DO get inspired by these movies are mentally unstable and unable to tell fiction from reality, and that is a very small percentage.

What is your stance on the matter?

• Yes, I do think there is a direct correlation between splatter films and real life violence.
  • No, I do not think there is a direct correlation between splatter films and real life violence.

Most Helpful Girl

• This is much discussed. I studied psychology for a year and research has shown that there is no direct correlation between the two. And even if there was, correlation doesn't equal causation.

Also I love thrillers and violent video games but that doesn't mean I'm gonna go on a killing spree. I'm actually a very loving person and I rarely kill a fly and when I do I feel guilty haha.

I do believe that people who are already mentally disturbed can get ideas from watching violent movies and video games. There will always be disturbed people so banning violent tv won't change that. These people will get there ideas from somewhere else then.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think that people who commit atrocious crimes due to horror movies were already mentally unstable in the first place, and that it was only a matter of time before something set them off. This is evident by the fact that millions of people watch horror films but very few actually live them out in real life, the same with video games. I would say however that some of the more torture horror flicks of the 1970s may be a reflection of and/or reinforcement of the misogynistic attitudes in society at the time. But I'll shut up because that slight bit of feminism just made me throw up in my mouth a little.

What Girls Said 1

• I think that people who are already violent are more drawn to violent movies, rather than violent movies are causing people to be violent.

What Guys Said 4

• Is there anyway to actually verify it such as scientifically?

What are the patterns, or data analysis to even suggest that there is some real genuine kind of correlation?

For example, have you ever heard of any real case of serial killers copycat Leatherface and actually used chainsaws as their murder weapons?

In fact, although that The Texas Chainsaw massacre had a villain wielding a Chainsaw as his iconic or trademark weapon of choice, the real serial killer that Leatherface was based on, Ed Gein, had never used a chain saw, and no evidence suggested that he actually ever did.

If people choose to use violence and inflict harm to others then it will come back to them, at least eventually. So, if they aren't aware of that, they will be aware and learn it the hard way eventually, either really soon eventually, or sometime later in their lifetime eventually.

• People make the same claim about video-games these days but in reality if anything its the complete opposit, that it makes people less violent, and I think its the same for movies too. My older brother for example has been a huge splatter fan for as long as I can remember, and yeah he have Cannibal holocaust for example, endless of zombie movies. Anyone could mention almost any of the controversial, gory/splatter movies and he would most likely have it. In either case today he's over 40yrs old. he's been watching them since he was a teenager, but he has never wounded, hit or fought with anyone physical in any sense. he's a pretty peaceful guy.

• 0|0
  • There is a very obvious connection and it is undeniable. Anyone who believes otherwise is a fool