What's your favorite classical music to listen to?

I almost never listened to classical music, but Chopin's Nocturnes have always been my go-to. I listened to a classical music mash-up and realized I should listen to more composers. I'm not a big fan of Beethoven; I'm more into the emotional stuff. Suggestions?

Most Helpful Girl

• First thing I really got hooked on was piano solos. There was this guy in my high school who played the piano, and was super eccentric, and insanely good. (He was actually on the faculty at the Universität Mozarteum in Salzburg, Austria, a couple years back... so he's apparently even better than I knew. lol)

He played with this INCREDIBLE passion.
    It was unbelievable, and inspiring. Kind of thing that brought tears and a smile to my face at the same time.

Two of his performance pieces, at the time, were Chopin's Ballade no. 3 (op. 47), and Chopin's Scherzo no. 2 (op. 31).
    These are all over youtube. If you can find recordings by Emanuel Ax or Evgeny Kissin, those are particularly good.
    The "op." numbers are sequential numbers ("op" stands for "opus", Latin for "work"). Just #1 through #whatever, because lots of works by the same composer have the same title. (e. g., the same guy might have 5 or 10 different pieces called "Waltz in C Minor".)
    The interplay between fast-and-furious and flighty-dreamland in those two is pretty amazing, if they are played well.

Here's Valentina Lisitsa playing Liszt's "La Campanella":
    This one's as enjoyable for the visuals as for the music itself. I like the complete lack of tension in her arms/wrists, etc. Jealous, I am.

I also like the spaz faces she makes from 3:15 to 3:25 or so.

You gotta start here with the big ones. Beethoven's 5th symphony, then the 9th, then maybe the 7th.

I remember doing the imaginary-conductor-in-the-dark thing, as a little girl, with Beethoven's 5th when I first heard it. Especially the transition between the 3rd and 4th movements.

I think you'll also like these:

Die schone Melusine / Fair Melusine overture (Mendelssohn)
    two recordings -- no need for the video here, just the audio:
    (a bit faster, more passionate, but mb a bit sloppier in the fast parts)
    (a little slower, but more articulated)

Tchaikovsky -- Romeo and Juliet overture:
    (slow build-up to about 4:30, that's where it gets good)

• Some more contemplative pieces:

Gorecki-- Sym. 3, movt 3 (from about 28:00 onward)

Vangelis-- Mythodea movt 6
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNbarKaDwv8 (don't watch the video, just listen)
      and movt 9

And my favorite, chamber music--
      Here's just a quick start there.
      Brahms quartet no. 1 movt 1

Chamber music is my fav because of the way the melody is traded constantly between the instruments-- you'll see, no one instrument has the 'main melody' for too long.
      Hard to believe that's only 4 people, with no conductor!

2 interpretations of the same Dvorak trio movement:

Technically, not all Classical or Romantic. (Mythodea is only 15 years old, lol.) But, yeah.

• You are awesome, thanks!

• @Anno_Domini No problem... lol @ the internet being bad at searching the internet haha

You should post back tmrw or whatever, and let me know if they had that recording. $4 plus $4 for shipping is a pretty awesome price, for that. Mb you should just order it now, and then call them to check up on it.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 1

What Guys Said 8