Is it weird I like Old School music?

Me and my brothers, (One of them is my twin, and the other is 17) we LOVE Old School music. R&B, low rider music all that, I mean we listen to new hip hop and stuff but it's not our go to, we like Old School. My older sister thinks it's weird because we weren't raised with that music but honestly.. does that even matter?

Most Helpful Guy

• So much of modern music is crap, and that isn't "jaded old man" talking, because there is still some very good music being made too - but the ratio of good to crap is pretty bad.

Plus, with older music, you have the advantage of having most of the crap filtered out by time, because the music you still hear is the stuff that most everyone agrees was the "good stuff" from that era - the crap from that era (and it definitely existed) has faded from memory and just doesn't get played anymore.

So, no, there's nothing weird or strange about that at all.

Most Helpful Girl

• No, you're just awesome.

Sponsored

0/2500

Send It!

What Guys Said 14

• Please go ahead and depress me and tell me how all the stuff that was current music (and definitely awesome๐Ÿ‘) when I was your age is now considered "old school." If you say anything after 1990 then I'll off myself on the spot๐Ÿ˜ต๐Ÿ”ซ

• Like music made in the 80's and 90's lol.

• That's what I figured, haha. THIS is old school to me, with the choppy cadence...
      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qXzWlPL_TKw

Then once NWA and its solo offshoots came out with gangsta rap, and groups like A Tribe Called Quest and Brand Nubian came along in the late 80s and early 90s with an opposite, but concurrent brand of "conscious" rap, that's when "old school" ended to me.
      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WHRnvjCkTsw

When it went from choppy cadences and simplistic lyrics to more complex lyrics and rhyme schemes, that's when the "Golden Age" of rap began, in my opinion, and that paved the way for Nas, Jay-Z, Biggie, Tupac, Wu-Tang, etc. I'd credit Rakim as the bridge between the two eras, he changed the game and brought insightful lyrics and more of a flow.
      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E7t8eoA_1jQ

Either way, you're wise beyond your years, I like where your head is at๐Ÿ‘

• not weird.

i feel like even 500 years from now, kids in high school will still be rocking to AC/DC, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Led Zeppelin, even John Lennon, fuck. its good shit man.

• It's not weird at all. I download music because the music out there now is crap. It's an assault on my ear drums!

• Nope I love old music way better then the stuff they have now a days, well most of it.

• no one cares. listen to whatever the fuck you want

• Nope. And while you're there, go back farther. Go bluesy, 60s psychedelia. Really good stuff. It's like a drug trip without the crash.

• I hope it isn't. I still jam lots of rock/prog bands from the 70's.

• It's not weird at all :)

• no. Music is music, good music applies throughout regardless of generation...

• Listen to what makes you happy.

• Nope ๐Ÿ’
    I also like it :P
    Stevie Wonder rocks ๐Ÿ˜‚

• I like it so much better than today's music.

• Yes waird

• I still listen to stuff like A Flock Of Seagulls or Kim Wilde... so yeah not weird... after all today's music sucks... it was then technology and production techniques dat made music great... nowdays they make it digitally and those fucking artists who consider themselves more quality-like than hip-hop artists are some dumpsters who are considered indie pop and they use acoustic guitars and lousy lyrics... if people still used analogue equipment and synths... then music'd still be great... but unfortunately they don't...

What Girls Said 5

• No its not weird. My daughter is 13 and listens to music that i grew up to. Music is good for the soul so carry on listening to what makes you happy

• Of course it's not weird. Everyone has different tastes in music.

• it's not weird at all

• The thing I like about music, is that you can enjoy it at any age and from any era. I still listen to Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin, etc. But I do also listen to some 80s, among other things. It's great to enjoy things you like!

• The fact that you think it's weird is what's actually weird

• I don't think it's weird, my sister does. I just wanted to know if other people also thought that way.