Have you ever misinterpreted a song?

I've heard this song named Purple Reign by a rapper and in the song and I think he is talking about a girl.
he says

"I just need my girlfriend
I just need my girlfriend
I just need
Purple reign, purple reign, purple reign, purple
I just need my girlfriend
I just need my girlfriend
I just need purple"

Turns out he was talking about codiene the whole song and he called it purple.

• Yes
  • No
examples of songs
what song that you interpreted wrong had you surprised the most

Most Helpful Girl

• Codeine is purple when it's mixed with sprite "Dirty Sprite" and Jolly Ranchers lol. You're talking about Future lol.

• I had a feeling he was calling the drug (for anyone who is reading this who doesn't know codeine is a drug) codeine purple but i thought he really was saying he wants a girlfriend and he was putting the emotional pain down with codeine. Thought Future really secured a girlfriend from chicken wings and fries cause he don't go on dates LOL.

• Thanks for MHO!

• Your welcome!

Most Helpful Guy

• I can't remember ones I have misheard, but I recall some examples other people I know misheard, because when they told me what they thought the lyrics were, I looked at the like they were out of their minds.

One song, called "Blue" by Eiffel 65 (terrible song lol) has the nonsense lyric in the chorus: "I'm blue, daboo-dee daboo-di"
    Guy INSISTED until he was red in the face and sweating, that the lyric was not "daboo-dee daboo-di," but was instead "I would bleed I would die."
    Listen to the song. Replace ever daboo-dee daboo-di with that. It's hysterical. And even more stupid than the original.

Another guy, brother's friend? The Creedence Clearwater Revival song "Bad Moon Rising," has the lyric "Don't go around tonight / well, it's bound to take your life / There's a bad moon on the rise."
    Makes sense, considering the song title, right?
    Guy insisted the lyric was "Don't go out tonight / he's bound to take your life / there's a baboon on the right."
    Again, the kid of dope who will argue until red in the face and really, honestly, pissed off, INSISTING his version was right.
    Why the FUCK would there be a baboon on the right?

• Thought of an example.
      Tool, Sober.
      The lyric is "Jesus won't you fucking whistle / something good to pass the time?"
      i heard "Jesus doesn't fucking whistle / something good to pass the time."

full disclosure? I like my version better. But I was wrong about what was sang.

What Girls Said 7

• I don't usually have trouble when it comes to interpreting songs however I have been so off with lyrics to some songs you wouldn't even believe 😂

For instance up until about a year ago or so once I finally heard the song after such a long time I finally realized what he was saying. When this first came out I swear I thought he was saying Gloria Gloria and now it's clear that he's saying turn me on *face palm*

Well I guess it could have something to do with misinterpreting to considering I had no idea what tune me on meant back then anyways 😛

• Lol i still misinterpret stuff til this day. Im just "slow" haha. I be singing about stuff and then when i find out what i was singing, i feel stupid. I remember as a kid, i used to sing "I be on that kryptonite, straight up on that kryptonite." Hahaha i thought he was talking bout Superman

• When I was little I thought "Stir it up" by Patti Labelle (or however you spell it) was a song about making a cake.

• If U Seek Amy by Britney Spears was the best play on words ever.
    I learned what she was actually saying like 2 years ago lmfao. I feel stupid.

• Like ALL the time. Most songs actually. I always hear stuff wrong so I like to say that I'm dyslexic through the ears.

• Well when I was little I never realised the Barbie Girl song was actually dirty if that counts lol

• I'm a Barbie girl

What Guys Said 3

• For some reason in the old black sabbath song 'megalomania' he says "from the depths of sanity" and I always heard "rub the tits of sanity".

I prefer my lyric much better. Lol

• i mean i don't really listen to songs for their meaning, but probably.

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6P6t-I8ayg

I thought he sings "I love that shit" instead of "I left that ship"...