Black Sabbath -- what genre of music are they? Hard rock? Heavy Metal? Classic Rock?

Here's one of their songs:
"Children of the Grave"

If you don't know that song, I'm hope you've at least heard of this one:
"Crazy Train"@Klara-Hitler I'll tag you in case you wanted to re-give your opinion on the matter lol

• Hard Rock
  • Heavy Metal
  • They were heavy metal back then, but now they are hard rock (or something else)
  • Classic Rock
  • Something else
Note: I was stupid and called Crazy Train part of Black Sabbath.
Crazy Train is part of Ozzy Osbourne's solo act, not Black Sabbath!

Most Helpful Girl

• I told it yesterday.

There is no yesterday and today "heaviness". "Heavy metal" is both the name of all metal genres and it is the general tone of 70's and 80's metal. When Metallica used heavier riffing than Black Sabbath they made a new "genre" in "heavy metal" and were named Thrash. When Death changed the singing tone the new tone was called Death.

When Meshuggah used the monotonous D-jent heavy riffing sound they were called Djent.

They are all heavy metal for the fact that all of them are heavier and different than rock and classic hard rock.

Black Sabbath is heavy metal. Black Sabbath and rainbow and Dio are the godfathers of heavy metal. Having heavier sounds now doesn't make them rock or hard rock.

• But heavy metal in general was created from hard rock. It's simple understanding why earlier tone of metal is more close to hard rock.

• ... Same for the drum. But the music is the same.

Listen to the studio version of Seek and Destroy and compare it to the new Metallica DVD.

That's the real difference you're looking for.

• wait, there is a mistake: "Look at a Metallica concert in 70's."

Look at a Metallica concert in the 80's*

thanks for mho.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think they are Hard Rock... and probably pioners of it... I disagree wid term "Classic Rock" since Classic Rock doesn't exist as a genre... those bands people mention as "Classic Rock" they were 60s-70s Psychedelic Rock/Progressive Rock mostly... they're just considered Classic by today's standards...

Anyway Black Sabbath were harder and edgier than other popular bands by dat time... like The Doors or Deep Purple... so I guess Hard Rock suits 'em better... I think heavy-metal didn't exist when Black Sabbath appeared (early 70s)... but Ozzy Osburne's solo works can be considered Heavy Metal... or even Glam Metal some of 'em...

• Ahh so you believe Black Sabbath was more like the band before heavy metal really began?

• Well I'll say they were pretty much creators of Heavy Metal more or less... although Heavy Metal was coined as a term later..

• Thanks...

What Girls Said 6

• Was going to say Crazy Train is Ozzy... but anyways, they have changed over the years. To begin with I'd say they were bordering on prog-rock but not quite as progressive as many others, such as Pink Floyd. They're quite soft as far as heavy rock goes, Faeries wear boots is a gentle instrumental track but it's on an album with other tunes which are a bit heavier, but still not what I would call 'heavy'. I don't think any of those categories really describe the sound as a whole. You listen to A National Acrobat and then listen to Paranoid, the lyric content is quite different, as is the pace and feel... they're a band that were going so long that the style changed a lot and I don't think one category can cover them.

• Well, I think you could classify them as both classic rock and hard rock. They are definitely not metal by today's standards, but could have been considered that in the 80's, I suppose.

• They aren't as heavy as most "metal" but I do consider it metal. As do many others. They play their music on the metal Sirius radio station that I listen to as wel.

• They're just plain ol' heavy metal. You could even say they're classic heavy metal

• heavy metal

• Rock & roll baby 🤘🏼

What Guys Said 14

• I was 15 when their first album came out. My best friend bought it and played it for me, but I had been heavy into Cream for a few years by then. Compared to Clapton, Bruce and Baker, Black Sabbath was a pimple on the buttocks of progress. Of course, I was an aspiring musician myself at the time, so I was a bit snobbish.

• www.metal-archives.com/bands/Black_Sabbath/99

Apparently they're Heavy/Doom Metal.

• They were and always will be metal, they kind of fall into classic rock now too. So all of the above I guess.
    By the way, Crazy train isn't Black Sabbath, it was Ozzy's solo act. Black Sabbath had numerous lead singers over the years, Ozzy was frontman from 69-77 or 78, and rejoined in the early 2000s I think.

• Ooh crap you are right, I bring shaaame upon myself :O

• Close enough, not many people would know the difference. Black Sabbath did some amazing stuff with other singers too, but Ozzy is always the original.

• Yeah I was just trying to find a song people would know. I guess I should've put Paranoid or War Pigs instead in hindsight... and yep-- I was thinking more of Ozzy's time rather than one of the later vocalists.

• Kind of an early classic heavy metal. Not death, black or other metal extremes, but still somewhat heavy metal.

There's a chart for it...
    en.wikipedia.org/.../File:Metal_Genealogy.jpg

• Black Sabbath were predominantly hard rock, but they certainly helped setting in stone genres such as doom metal and heavy metal. They expanded upon their usual slow heavy compositions to faster ones ocasionally.

• Legendary rock, groundbreakers like Zepellin with how they transcended style/genres of music

• Back in the day we didn't have all these invented subgenres that we do now. Rock and metal had a shared fanbase. Sabbath had their background in Hard Rock, but for me they were the first Heavy Metal band.

• Heavy Metal and Classic Rock. The terms aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

• They created the metal genre.

• I always consider thames as classic rock

• All three.

• A and D, so C?

• Heavy Metal.

• I thought crazy train was from Ozzy's solo career?