Question about singing; Is it possible to hit high notes without my voice breaking?

I've been trying to practice singing with accoustic guitar but noticed that whenever I try to sing high notes, my voice always breaks and makes me sound like a boy going through puberty. I've tried clearing my throat and drinking lots of water prior but nothing seems to work. So my question is: how do I prevent this, or at the very least make it not so noticeable when it does happen?

Most Helpful Guy

• Your voice probably just isn't that strong yet. Of course, you'll always have limits to your voice, but with practice you can increase and strengthen your upper range somewhat. When I started singing, I could go from a F2 to a weak G#4, while today I can hit an strong F5 with some effort.

Warming up adequately helps - scales, octave slides, whatever you usually do. If you're going to be doing demanding stuff in your upper register, you should warm up at least 30-45 minutes beforehand. When you sing, engage your diaphragm and carry the tone up from your chest and place it into your head, not letting it get caught in the throat.

There's honestly a lot more I could say, but I'm trying to keep things in basic terms and not write a whole essay, lol. If you aren't already, I recommend finding a vocal coach who can better help you - you won't make nearly as much progress without someone more experienced pointing out areas you could work on. Even if it's just a few lessons to identify your voice type and review the fundamentals of singing, it's worth it.

• Oh, and one other thing - DON'T OVERSTRESS YOUR VOICE. If your throat feels constricted, it means you've been using improper technique and slamming your vocal folds together. While you're young and they are quite resilient, you may pick up bad habits if you're not careful, which can mean permanent damage to your voice in your later years.

• Thanks! Very informative.

• Sure thing, thanks for MHO!

Most Helpful Girl

• You just can't sing those notes yet... or maybe ever.
    The only way you'll know for sure is if you do your vocal exercises every day and see where you get from there.

What Guys Said 3

• Practicing will strengthen the vocal cords.

Try forcing more are during those high notes. It can stabilized the vibrations

• When I try and sing high notes my voice cracks It sounds like someone is strangling a cat lol

• I don't think so. It depends on your voice, if it can go very high. Very few people can hit those very high notes.

What Girls Said 3

• You need to make sure you're supporting you voice and you can practice expanding your range.

• Yeah with practice!

• i would hire a coach