What the hell is Bollywood?

I hear that name so much here.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm not entirely sure. I think it's movies made in India. Some people here are really obsessed with the stars over there, I don't really know why. I don't know it enough to praise or knock it, but I'd imagine i'd probably enjoy movies made in my own culture more. But by that same logic, I'd imagine Indians would appreciate it more than American cinema. I have a very strict "no foreign films" policy. They get you with the subtitles, next thing you know, you're reading books...
    media.riffsy.com/.../raw

• Obsessed with stars over there? What the hell? I haven't heard of even one.

• Sorry, I meant on here, on GAG, haha. Literally never heard of one myself either, I just noticed a lot of questions asking people to rate the looks of certain Bollywood actors and actresses, like they seemed very eager to hear that these people were seen as "hot" as American stars.

Most Helpful Girl

• The Hollywood of India.

• Why India need a hollywood? They can watch hollywood movies. They don't have to make a new hollywood.

• Even you haven't watched one and you are talking about it. So it means they are not worth to watch. I will not watch.

• I haven't watched a lot movies but it doesn't mean they're not worth watching lmfao

What Guys Said 18

• Bollywood is the film industry of the Hindi language.. It's the biggest in India. There are other industry too of diff language like Tamil

• Indian Movies

• Bollywood is the Indian version of Hollywood, if you were to go to India you'd visit Bollywood instead of Hollywood like in the US.

• Movies, Soap Operas etc. They have tons of movies and their own local stars. I was actually on a Bollywood set, they were filming a Soap Opera and it was a scene where the man and the woman were on a bed kissing, it was very risque they said given the culture. The set we were in was a fale mansion but was cut up for filming so the could get the camera angles needed etc.

• Indian film industry.

• Indian movies

• India's biggest film industry.

• India's biggest movie industry? How many movie industries does India have lol?

• I don't know. I haven't watched any Bollywood films, maybe see for yourself?

• Some of them at pretty great.. try watching this "yeh jawaani hai deewani" it's basically one of the few romantic comedies I can tolerate.

• Indian Hollywood

• Its literally the second largest movie industry in the world. It basically hollywood

• biggest one of Indian film industry. India is a union of states and almost every state have their own film industry. because India have 22 official and total 1609 or something languages. Bollywood is Hindi movie industry.

• It's like Hollywood, but in India, for Indian movies

• The Indian version of Hollywood, but our Hollywood is much better.

• Bollywood is a other word for Indian movies...

• Its our awesomest film industry

• My question "where you from"?

• It's basically Indian Hollywood.

• indian hollywood

• Indian Film industry.

What Girls Said 7

• It's like the Indian Hollywood.

• indian hollywood lol

• it's Indian film industry..

• The Indian equivalent of Hollywood. It seems to be really popular.

• If it would be popular I would heard of it before.

• That's why I said it seems to be popular. I didn't know anything about Bollywood until like last year, and now I hear about it all the time.

• Uh.. Indian Hollywood I guess? You could Google it you know..

• Hollywood, but just in India

• Like Hollywood, Bollywood is for Indian movies.