Am I the only one who thinks the "outrage" of having Scarlett Johansson playing Motoko in the Ghost in the Shell movie is ridiculous?

Everybody is all like "this is very offensive to me" just because they used effects to make her look more like Motoko who is Asian and are basically losing their shit over this

What the fuck happened to American society here in the 21st century that makes everyone and their mother jump on any opportunity they can to whine, get offended, and bring up the race card

• I think so too
  • You're the only one and you're a fucking idiot and a sheeple

Most Helpful Girl

• it's very normal for japanese actresses to be cast in obviously caucasian roles all the time here...

• can you guys just agree to disagree or something this has been going on forever and these notification are getting annoying.

• @Josht11 Poor @COCOCHANEL is probably getting the worst of it. And I am also getting tired of this lol so-

Most Helpful Guy

• People really need to stop being whiny cunts about it. Actors should be chosen based on their talent and their ability to fulfill the roll. It shouldn't be based on race.

Is it not inherently racist to choose someone to fulfill a role based on... well... their race?

What Girls Said 14

• Meh. I think that if you're going to film a Japanese movie with Japanese characters, it's ridiculous to hire white actors and change the name of the character and use special effects to make people look more Asian when they could just hire an Asian actor in the first place, no?

• japanese movies hire japanese actors and actresses to play caucasian roles...

• I mean why does it even matter she's a cyborg well into the future. It's fictional anyway as long as it makes sense so what, I like a lot of anime but I really couldn't care less about their race. Also I think we all know why they're actually using Scarlett Johannsen she's an A list celebrity.

• @Josht11 Yup.

• I don't think that's any more 'outrageous' than Zoe Saldana being cast as Nina Simone in the upcoming biopic.

I actually posted a question regarding that beecuase yes, they both have negroid origins, but Nina still had to wear make-up to make her skin darker, in addition to nose prosthetics to increase her likening to Nina. Basically the same kind of things which would need to be done in Scarlett, a white woman, being case as an Asian. But of course when it's only to do with poc, like with Zoe being transformed into Nina, everyone turns a blind eye.

'She's still black', which of course negates the fact that it's the same fucking procedure, the only difference being that Nina is not white. -_-

• I'm confused. If it's perfectly alright for Johansson, a white woman, to star as Motoko, why would they need CGI to make her look more Asian? Also, Kusanagi Motoko is 100% a Japanese name... Can't they just change the characters' names? Then we could all avoid this shit-storm.

That said, I'm more concerned if this movie is going to be shitty... because that seems the fate of most manga-to-movie adaptations :/ Someone PLEASE name me one, just one, Hollywood take on a manga or anime that did well, so I can actually hope.

• I don't really see the issue either there's plenty of manga-to-movie productions in Japan where they use Asian actors in Caucasian roles, too, and give them contact lenses and wigs so they look more Caucasian.
    Typical example of the PC madness in America going too far.

• i have heard about this but I don't know much about the movie. but i don't get why they didn't just hire an Asian actress?

• It is offensive and they KNOW they should have picked an Asian actress for the part because they're planning to go over her face and use CGI to make her look more Asian. That's WRONG.

• How is it morally wrong? The directors vision is he wants Scarlett Johanssons acting talent and popular name to play Motoko but wants her to look Asian via effects.

• Because there are Asian actresses who already look Asian who, get this, they wouldn't have to cgi to look more Asian. Amazing.

• stuff like that happens a lot, bad casting is annoying in general. like the time they made all of the attack on titan live action characters japanese but in the story, mikasa is the only japanese person alive. it'd be better to cast according to the story line in all movies.

• Who cares lol, everyone is such a pussy about everything these days JESUS.

This is like when people were claiming white genocide about the Star Wars movie lol.

• Of course you, boob boy, will defend Scarlett Johansson, miss boobalicious lol

• I don't know much about this role or movie but it is true that white people always get chosen for Asian roles. It's not fair to the Asian actresses who could easily play these roles. I get america is 70% white but in cases like this we need to step aside and let poc have their opportunities.

• why not actually cast a japanese woman? i just think it's dumb to go through the trouble of making a white lady appear japanese when there's a large amount of japanese actresses who would love to take on that role.

• Nobody really cares.

• except for those complaining like shit over twitter.

• @Josht11 I have no interest in twitter.
      Also like @ALeDeEurope said she doesn't even look Asian

• that 's also what I said (before him). I know you have no interest in twitter but the SJW's on it really give a shit about this.

• What the fuck is ghost in a shell lol

• It's a comic and tv show in Japan about a police force that fights cyber crime in the future.

• I accidentally voted A while scrolling, so don't count my vote. I have no idea what the character is.

If she's a specifically Asian character - she should be played by an Asian actress. If she's a character of indeterminant background - who cares?

What Guys Said 16

• She doesn't look Asian at all, so basically the outrage is just stupid, the typical complains by people that have nothing else to do in life, just like those who complained about the black guy from star wars.

41.media.tumblr.com/.../...4jm2WN1uat1nto1_540.jpg

• at least the star wars complainers actually made sense because most people thought storm troopers are all clones from 1 guy who's hispanic I think but they were wrong people could enroll.

• @Josht11

The movie even said that they stopped using a clone army...

• This answer right here closes the case.

• People need to realize that movies are a fantasy land, and part of that fantasy is using actors who are famous and well liked by the audience. It also draws in more money so they can actually make the movie. You can cast somebody who is the appropriate race but if they aren't famous it's not going to matter, not very many people will watch the movie, if the movie isn't mind blowing. It's not like we can just make more races become actors either. It's not that simple. Even if someone will a lot of sway in the movie industry helped push someone to fame by giving them good roles in good movies, they still might jot be liked by the audience.

• 1|0
  • To be honest anime people don't even look Asian secondly so what it's a fictional film unless her being Asian is really important why does it matter. Finally people don't complain when Johnny storm is black or the dark tower main character is black, also the same SJW's complaing about this were pissed when spiderman was made white in civil war, it's like they have two standards for white people and others.

• Being "outraged" is now a major industry in the U. S. (and elsewhere). It's almost as if people get meaning in their lives by waking up looking for something to be "outraged" about.

• Makoto is a cyborg. She's not Asian.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B05FrZqFY3g

• It is extremely ridiculous because Scarlett Johansson is beloved in almost any role. She's one of the most beautiful women in the world and casting her in a movie is always a great idea.

She could play the part of the next Shaft, Blade or any other non-white race and I would think it's awesome.

• So people think it's okay for a black man to play as Johnny Storm from the Fantastic 4 movie, (who was always classically a fictional blonde white man) but not okay for a white woman to play as an fictional Asian woman? I'm sensing another ironic double standard against whites here...

Also, I'm sorry but anime characters neither look Asian or White, so why the hell does it matter? I mean where on earth do people even have peculiar hair colours, big eyes, tiny noses etc?

• No I don't think it is ridiculous.
    It is a story set in Japan portraying unanimously Japanese characters.
    Hiring somebody like Johansson to play the role is a textbook example of whitewashing and of disrespect for the source material.

But who cares really, the moment they announce another Hollywood rehash of a Japanese work you know it is going to be a complete farce as per usual.

• meh I can see why they are upset seeing how the character is actually Asian and they are casting a white ginger to play her, but at the same time I personally don't see it as a big deal to be honest with you. I mean it's just a movie.

• I dont see how its a big deal but I dont really care either way.

• tbh, a lot of the characters in the series (including the main character) don't even look Asian. They have the widest eyes and the whitest skin i've ever seen

• I think an Asian should be playing the role, because it's part of her character, but it's not something worth getting worked up about

• when i first read the news, i was suprised that they were casting Scarlett in a japanese live action movie, but then i think it is justified because the character who she is potraying doesn't look much Asian. So, i do agree with your views.

• Their still making that?

• I mean how would you feel about a live adaptation of Dragonball Z with Goku played by a black guy?