Music: Do you pay more attention to the lyrics or the beat?

• Lyrics
  • Beat

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• Both, of course. However. The lyrics are very important to me. Sometimes the melody and the lyrics just come together beautifully and it's a masterpiece.

Other times, the music is simply a backdrop to the lyrics. The lyrics give the music meaning, in that case. "Calling The Rain" by Eluveitie, the metal band that sings in Gaelic, at times: an almost extinct language. And I really want to link it, but I won't, since so many people dislike metal (have horrible tastes in music *cough cough cough*).

But. To me, music is expression. Words are easier to understand; melodies are easier to feel, but more abstract. Both forms of art, and both can compliment each other, at times. But if I had to place more importance on one than the other, it would have to be lyrics. I do like words. And like I said, they're more easily translatable.

The lyrics are the showpiece, the music is the backdrop. The music is the atmosphere; the lyrics are the content. To me. If you have a showpiece in front of a shitty tapestry or a completely irrelevant green screen, then it just doesn't work. So they are dependent on each other to some extent, which makes them difficult to really separate. But, yes. Lyrics all the way. Lyrics are the translation of the beat, of the melody.

What Girls Said 28

• It depends on the mood I'm in. Usually it's the Lyrics, coz a lot of songs have a deep meaning which I can sometime relate to.

• Depends. If I'm listening to EDM, it's all about the beat.

If it's a song with lyrics... then the lyrics lol

• Both!

• Generally the beat but if the lyrics suck that can totally ruin a song for me, I guess that's why I like music in languages I don't understand so much 😂

• Unfortunately the beat. That is why the radio sucks nowadays. Lol.

• Depends on the genre.

• The beat for sure. The beat makes or breaks the song for me. I have so many instrumentals of popular songs because I don't like the lyrics but love the beat.

• I pay attention to both. I really get into my music.

• Always the beat :) I've went years listening to songs without ever fully listening to the lyrics. There are lots of songs that I can hum the beat of while only knowing a handful of the words.

• I look for music that I can relate to, so I pay attention to the lyrics. The instruments are important too, and it's the first thing I notice, but I will not like the song if it doesn't have some good lyrics in it.

• 95% it's lyrics

• i listen to a lot of rap mostly because of the beat, i can't even keep up with the lyrics... but when i listen to other types like r&b i listen to the lyrics

• Lyrics are super important to me. I don't listen to music without lyrics, like, EVER. So yeah, safe to say I pay more attention to lyrics. They can either make or break a song for me.

• Always the lyrics unless I am listening to Lindsey stirling

• Both depending on the genre. Or just my mood haha.

• beat, i barely notice the lyrics sometimes unless they catch my attention.

• beat unless i'm listening to john legend

• The beat. Take Anthem by Blink 182 for example, the lyrics are shit but the beat is freaking great.

• Of course I pay attention to the beat but it's the lyrics that make me love it.

• The beat of course. It's what makes the music sound nice.

• The beat is what I pay attention to.

• Some songs ya

• Both i guess.. if one o them sucks even if the other element is quite good , that would affect the quality of it..

• lyrics. I like music with meaning.

• Hmm, beat.

• I like the beat more

• I can't hardly tell what they're saying but if the musics good I'll listen to it.

• I can't decide, I like both

What Guys Said 25

• The lyrics are part of the "beat" to me. If you mean do I pay more attention to the message vs the sounds then I'd have to say the sounds.

• Depends on the mood...
    i like bass... so depending on the mood, bass can do a lot... i guess i switch back and forth...

• Depends on the musical piece. Some have awesome lyrics, some sounds inspiring, but the best have a combination of both.

Mostly, I seek music with good tunes, the lyrics comes after that.

• Lyrics, a beat is nice but I'm tired of generic bland songs in the American music industry, it's the same recycled shit over and over and over and it's all focused towards teens because that is where the money is. It's always some form of "yeah girl shake that ass" or "love love love it's all about you girl love love love you're unique and special". The mainstream music industry over in England has so much better music it can't be compared. Give me a damn different song that's talking about something else other than sex or vague attempts at the illusion of singing directly to a specific teen girl though it's so vague it applys to all teen girls. God I miss the 90's.

• It depends what kind of song. Dance song = beat, something like a ballad = lyrics

• Decent beat + weak lyrics = can still bob your head to
    A decent beat can save a wack song destined to going straight to soundcloud a day after release

• I pay a lot of attention to the instruments.

• definitely the beat. the lyrics are cool, too, but i usually don't give that much of a shit because if the beat sucks, then there's no point in the lyrics anyways

• Ohhh surprisingly hard question.. There are songs where i just pay more attention to lyrics, most of the time beat i think.

• I pay more attention to the beat. Sometimes I dont even know the lyrics. I also love instrumentals.

• Beat, unless the lyrics are a big part of the beat.

• Sometimes both. If it's a chill track I want to here smooth, flowing lyrics.
    If it's heavy shit I wanna hear the beat

• If the song has vocals , the lyrics is the main course , the beat is the garnishings.

• Beat reels me in. If I like the beat, I can tolerate the lyrics. If the song has good beats and good lyrics... that's magic right there!

• All music I listen to is instrumental.

• I'd say the lyrics. I can't stand a lot of the lyrics in today's music and I can't listen to it because of that. The lyrics are either incredibly stupid or they have such a bad message that it's annoying.

• Definitely the beat unless it's a diss song directed at another artist!

• I don't care at all about the lyrics, especially since I don't understand them more often than not

• for me lyrics is just another melody. i hardly ever listen to the actual words.

• Lyrics first then the beat.

• The beat is what captures my attention, the lyrics get me hooked to the entire song.

• lyrics if the lyrics are good then no matter what song or by what singer it is i'll love it.

• Both. But the lyrics are what provokes the thoughts and feelings for me

• That really depends on the genre for me at least.

• The beat