How popular is Star Wars outside of the US?

I just was watching the trailer for the new Star Wars movie and had the thought. I know Star Wars was/is huge in the US, but I never really thought about how popular it would be everywhere else.

And, if Star Wars was (and still is) popular, what about a movie like Rocky? It was big in America but geared more towards US audiences with the aspect of the 'American underdog' fighting for a dream.

I'm curious to see what people say :D

Most Helpful Girl

• my brothers are hard core star wars fans and have owned merchandise until they were forced to sell them by my no nonsense mom haha. we are angolan
    ontheworldmap.com/angola/angola-location-map.jpg
    so i'd say that it's pretty popular outside of the US, they didn't even have access to it in portugese for a good while but they still loved it. they went to a club at the library for it.

Most Helpful Guy

• It depends I mean I've seen Star Wars be really huge in some parts of the US and not so much in others, the world is the same in some countries people are crazy about it others not so much.

But as far as I know these are the places were Star Wars is arguably the most popular.

The movies are fairly popular in Australia.

Star War, specifically lightsaber combat is quite popular in

Italy
    With the Force Clash school of lightsaber combat, here is a video of some of its students putting on a show in the streets.
    https://youtu.be/Mdv65g5h68k

Russia
    With the School of Saber Fighting based in Moscow which focuses on lightsaber combat and stage fighting. Here is a video of two of it's students fighting at the Moscow Fencing World Championship
    https://youtu.be/AmR5LoyZ4jw

Singapore
    With The School of Saber Authority
    https://youtu.be/emrSVgJ_x5I

Europe
    Team Saber Project ( apologizes for the horrible camera man )
    https://youtu.be/452_bONNWEE

Lightsaber Combat Academy ( international ) also this is not choreographed.
    https://youtu.be/_0hihKbFgn0

Lol this should give you a fairly decent idea of how popular Star Wars is outside of the US

Also come on we both know Rocky is awesome worldwide, don't even joke around.

What Girls Said 13

• it's popular but not as much.

ROCKY YES. now we're talking. i hate star wars.

• Star Wars is pretty huge here, Rocky is well known too.

• I think it's pretty popular in Europe too but not so much in Asia. I know people in China who've never heard about it

• Dang, I'm an American and I've never seen any Star Wars movies ever. But Rocky is still amazing!! Sorry.. That did nothing to help u out.

• I'm from Indonesia and my friends were very enthusiastic to watch it. Actually I don't like Star Wars, I don't know why...

• Star Wars is huge in Canada, Uk, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and even India too. People everywhere love Star Wars. check out the foreign box office revenue.

• The Rebel Alliance, the Mandalorians, and the 501st (Star Wars fan commmunities) have members and groups around the world.

• Star Wars is huge here, too. I'm not sure what Rocky is, but that's probably just me, haha.

• It's popular in Georgia. My brother loves it.

• it's relatively popular i guess

• Pretty big in Canada

• Star wars is awesome !!! and is well know worldwide.

• star wars is pretty huge in Europe

What Guys Said 18

• I know in Spain Star Wars is huge too. Maybe not like in the US, but it's still pretty big. The lines to watch it were pretty long.
    Rocky is very well known, but I don't know if it is very popular, I haven't watched it, and most of the people I know haven't either, but everyone knows the song and the famous scene of him running up the stairs.

• It's like the most popular franchise in the entire world.

• Eh... to an extent. I wouldn't say that we have a massive fanbase here but it just goes along with the other popular movies like the Terminator or the Matrix.

• Its big everywhere but of course bigger in the USA

• Here in India Star Wars episode 1-3 are popular. Old films are not that popular and popularity of Rocky > popularity of Star Wars. In rural areas people have seen Rocky but not Star Wars.

• It's just as popular. If you're curious about the popularity of American movies in other countries you can check out imdb.

• Do they show it on IMDB? I never have seen a section on there for that.

• On the movies page there is always an international profit section. There's also a budget section and how much money it made in the US.

• I've traveled enough to say it is popular pretty much everywhere. Not to say everyone is a fan, or that people have actually seen the films, but non geeks/sci-fi fans are familiar enough with the franchise I'd say.

• It is popular. Yeah.

• We have conventions every six months to look as ridiculous as we can. Lol.

• I live in South America (Chile) and I can assure you, Star Wars is VERY popular, people cosplayed characters when the new one came out and stood in line for a day or something

• pretty huge in Europe. can't speak for other regions

• Its really popular in the UK too, some of the Force Awakens was filmed in my town ;-)

• Well it's huge here too

• Not with me. I thought they were shite

• its quite popular across the whole western world

• Disney spent a lot of time making sure there were no white men in the movie.

• It's a global phenomenon... like Mickey Mouse or Pokemon...

• it's only popular in usa.