Why are people so uppity when it comes to music taste?

People who don't listen to classic music are simple. People who don't listen to rock are idiots. People who don't listen to dubstep are boring. People who don't listen to reggae are uptight. People who don't listen to rap are racist.

This is what I hear from a lot of music enthusiasts. Especially rock enthusiasts - Typically adults who are "ashamed" of the younger generations.

Chill out, alright. It's music; Like with food, we all have different tastes. I'm sorry I don't know who prince is. I'm sorry I don't know any reggae artists other than Bob Marley. I'm sorry my music taste doesn't fit yours. If it's any consolation, I do enjoy a variety of music genres, including yours, but I guess making your personal favourite genre my favourite genre is not high on my list of priorities.

• I don't know what you are talking about. Everyone I have met with a differing music taste has been courteous and respectful towards mine.
  • In my experience, it is only a minority of people
  • In my opinion, it's about half and half.
  • Oh my god stupid kid. Get off my lawn already and listen to Jazz for once!!
  • Other answer
Man, nothing frustrates me more than people who think they have superior intellect because of their music taste. Those horses are higher than any other I've encountered.

Seriously, if you are like this then get over yourself. Nobody cares if you know every single artist of XYZ genre.

Most Helpful Girl

• My first boyfriend was like that and it was *so* annoying. So what if I like pop? Everyone does - major chord progressions light up the brain, in basically every test subject studied, regardless of whether they reported to have liked it or not.

Everybody chill out. Let people enjoy things. There's so little that's nice in the world, that we shouldn't be destroying that for people.

Most Helpful Guy

• I never really got into the whole your this kind of person because you listen to this kind of music deal. I find it kind of stupid to be honest with you. I mean I'm not going to your kind of music if I find it revolting, weird or I just flat out don't like it and I don't expect you to listen to my music either.

As long as your respect what I listen to and don't make a big deal about it, I won't say anything about your tastes either. But there are times when I can't bite my tongue when it comes to some music and some of it seriously sends a bad message to kids, that kind of stuff, I can't bite my tongue about but when it comes to most kinds of music I can hold it.

• Constructive criticism is no reason to hold your tongue.

• That's not the reason I hold it though, most people who listen to that... music just don't want to hear reason and they just simply don't understand what the song is about or do and just don't care in which case. It doesn't solve anything by bringing it up.

What Girls Said 19

• I get what you mean, though for where I live it's more like if you listen to rap or country then you're cool, if you listen to pop then you're a mindless teenager or something, and if you listen to rock then you're dark and tough. It's pretty dumb. If you like music then you like music, it shouldn't really matter what genre it is.

• Well usually those are people that A. I avoid or B. Rub it in their faces that I listen to rock/metal.

Music is an important thing to me but hey, I'm not gonna judge you for disliking metal and loving rap as long as you're not a fucking prick about it. You do you, I'll do me.

The people who're so fucking judgmental about music tastes aren't people I wish to be associated with so usually they're a minority of the people I do speak to.

• I personally don't care what genre of music people listen to. I enjoy many if not all types. The thing that bothers me is when a music lover (of any genre) doesn't recognize the names, let alone the influence/impact of the most influential artist in history.
    I don't have to LOVE the Beatles to know their inpact on music, But I know who they were. Same thing with The Grateful Dead, Nirvana, Black Sabath, The Supremes, Queen or Elvis. I may not have David Bowies music on my playlist but I certainly know who he was, and his impact on music as a whole. hell, I wasn't even born when most were in their heyday, but I've heard of them. Same thing with Prince. His music impacted many artist across many many genres. He drew from funk, soul, rock, blues, jazz and gospel among others to create his music.
    Current artists like Alicia Keys, Bruno Mars Beyoncé and Justin Timberlake are greatly influenced by Prince.
    For an enthusiast of any music genre to say I've never heard of them displays a level of ignorance, and that is where my issue lies.
    Enjoy what you want, but try to appreciate where it came from. Expand your horizons. It'll only enhance your music loving and life experiences.

• The funny thing is, I enjoy the music of or (at least know the importance of) every artist/band you just listed. All but Prince, which is a crime against humanity apparently. I didn't know that I must dedicate my time to researching all of the great musicians.

I would much rather expand my horizons in a field I am actually interested in. Not what you or anyone else is interested in. With all due respect, your wizard-ness.

Honestly dude, just get off your high horse. I'm enjoying my music as it is, and I have higher priorities.

• Of course I have seen coverage, if you read my opinion on your question you would see that I said "Today is full of learning experiences" "Only today did I realise blah blah blah..". Obviously I know the importance of Prince's music, it's hard not to when there is a ton of coverage on him. My question wasn't how important he is in the music industry, it was if Prince was in Queen or if they were close or something.

I already knew about Prince but then I asked a question (A perfectly innocent one if you ask me, "Prince" and "Queen" are related names), wanting to know more, but no you pulled your pointy hat out and shoved a hand in my face.

There *is* no reason for me to educate myself on Prince. Ignorance is a choice, and I choose not to immerse myself in all of Prince's glory. I know a sufficient amount, no thanks to you.

• Dude, you have serious issues. You asked a question, I answered it when you had a follow up I simply, and politely said please educate yourself. With a PLEASE.
      Apparently you take great issue with that polite suggestion because here we are. Instead of your comment "rock enthusiasts tend to have a holier-than-thou attitude.
      You're right, I should go educate my uncultured ass."
      Why not say good idea or thanks or even nothing are all? For some inexplicable reason me suggesting you learn the answer to your question is a holier than thou-stick up my ass elitist attitude. every time you post it's like look at me I'm ignorant and proud of it. Were any of your comments really necessary?

• well i dont really care about what others listen to, thats their taste but dont expect me to enjoy your music if im just not feeling it. i like old school music while most of the people i know like newer songs that i just dont care for. we do not like the same things but its not a big deal. but ones in a while when i do meet someone with the same taste, its amazing.

• I listen to punk and pop-punk, and there are a ton of elitists and they throw homophobia and sexist terms around to slander anyone who doesn't agree with their view of what punk is. This message is dedicated to them, here goes.

I may not be one of those who's been around since before punk was popular, and I'm one of those people you accuse of listening to punk to be cool, but not listening to "real punk". I am one of the people you call gay and fag, and one of the ones who gets told "go cut/kill yourself." I have two words for you. Fuck. You. I may not know everything about punk, but I know enough to tell you that you don't have the right to tell people who and what is real punk and what isn't, you hypocrite. Punk is about being who you want to be, and respecting others for that. You're homophobic, sometimes even racist and sexist, and bash those who don't agree with your music tastes and you're decision about who belongs in what genre. Go fuck yourself, you don't represent what punk stands for, don't even try and pretend you do.

• 😯ohh!! 😁 I like when people don't like my music😁!! And most think I'm weird and I love it! I don't know why!! But if you start liking my music and you didn't like it before... 😐😯 it makes me angry!! 😠I don't like it!! hahahha😁😁😁 so don't like what I like, cause what I like is weird and that is awesome!!! And you're not!.

You= anyone who is not me.
    If you think I'm weird, hats awesome 👍👏🌟
    The end. 😛😊😊😊😁

• I have noticed that. & all these 12 year olds listening to older music and saying all other music is trash, and so is anyone that listens to it. Like chill. Special ❄️'s everywhere. 😲

• I listen to all kinds of music. If I hear it on the radio, and it sounds good then I like it. However, I did grow up with country music so I have a soft spot for it. If I happen to mention this, I either get people angry with me or they'll say I have bad taste. This actually happens a lot. I don't get why people so many people get such a reaction from country music. If you don't like it, don't listen. I'm not forcing you to listen, I'm just telling you that I'll probably always like it because of my childhood.

• People have talked shit about my taste in music but I don't give a damn. I'm a Directioner, suck it up!😊

• I have a favorite genre but I give no shit about what other people listen to. It's cool to have that in common with someone else but it's damn fine if we don't.

• I've never met a person who disrespected my music taste.

• I don't know. But I like all kinds of music!

• I've had people comment on the music I listen to but I don't get offended by it. It's not something they're used to, so it's weird to them. I don't listen to a specific genre, I don't have a "taste." I just like songs. I don't follow artists either, I just enjoy song. Those songs have certain requirements like what they're talking about but for the most part my music is like soup. There's nearly everything there.

• To me... I really don't give a shit about your music taste... I mean, it is what you like, not me. I'm not the one listening to it so why should I be bothered by it. You roll your own way and I will roll my own way..

• I got this thing that's call I'll do whatever the fuck I want. Life's too short to worry about labels and opinions since EVERYONE is always going to have one so what's the big deal? I think everyone should just listen to whatever the heck they want even if it doesn't go with their "look" like skaters listening to Iggy Azalea (I have no clue, it's all I could think of) or metal heads listening to Kendrick Lamar. I've noticed it but it's petty, really. :P

• lol for real. no one cares what you listen to.

• Well, I listen to all kinds of music. It's a good conversation starter. I don't judge people by what they listen to though.

• I don't know but you're wrong

• I respect others music, but please use headphones, and don't disturb other people with your tastes.

What Guys Said 22

• I think some times their is good criticism of music. I dislike mainstream rap because I think its basicly what metal became in the 80s party music that is cooky cutter because of the record lables trying to pump out the next single etc. I think they have lowerd the bar for the music that they do not have anything pertinent to say (most of its just party music which is fine but when its all it is thats just annoying). Same goes with pop music, to me pop music is a terrible genre, I mean what was the popular pop song five years ago? Most won't remember because its not about the quality of the music but just that quick feel good fix and then thats it, no permanence. That said I don't really hate any one who likes these things, its just not my cup of tea (I like rap, just not mainstream and their are other pop (ish) songs that I actually think are really good, just not the majority) so I don't really judge any one for liking them, I might criticise it if they start judging me and give them my reasons for why I don't like them (or if I want to mess with them). My real issue is when people hop on bandwagons, always jumping on to the music genre that is popular at the moment which to me shows that they really don't appreciate the music but just the fact that its popular. Also the fact that so few its seems are really diverse with their music. Their are so many different genres all of them have their pros and cons each one can be appreciated without diminishing the others plus each one was influenced by other genres (for instance the double base drum used in heavy metal originated in jazz, rock and roll and rap in blues etc). Personally I love metal (heavy, classic, stoner, power etc) but I also love blues (otis taylor is great, and while the band clutch is rock they are insanely blues influences). I think its more the narrow scope of musical appreciation that bothers me more then anything else. Though I will fully admit that I was tempted to vote for D (I like being a crotchety old man :D )

• the older rock crowd are especially obnoxious. they forge their identity and cling to their youth through the music they came up listening to.

nothing irritates me more than a person saying that there's no good music anymore, because it's obvious they're not looking for it.

the only snobbery I partake in is for people who exclusively listen to current top 40 and turn up their noses at anything more than 6 months old. there might even be some great songs in the top 40, but they're only listening to the song because it's popular, not because it's good.

• i feel like it's the opposite. not that people who don't like their music taste is bad, but people just shit on other people's music taste. like, how many times have you heard your parents be like "real music was in the 70's" or some shit? or "today's music sucks?" that shit happens all the time. or "all rap is about sex any gangs and drugs" or "pink floyd is the best of and shits on everyone else!". so in response, i think people get defensive.

• Well... people are all self centered and no matter what you do you can't bloody change them... so lets just deealll with those assholes

• I think old religious people will have a problem with a lot of my music. The heavy metal type music, but I do not care what they think about my music.

• I used to listen to a lot of reggae when I was younger, and this guy I knew said I was trying too hard to be black...

• B, but most of my friends are in the same art school as me, and obviously people who respect differing music tastes are often concentrated there.

• Honestly, not liking a genre doesn't mean you're a bad person or something.

However, I honestly do question the intellect of people who listen to Justin Bieber, for example. I mean, just, why? It's like liking 50 Shades of Grey.

• Music is a reflection of who we are as a person. So saying you don't like that kind of music is like saying you don't like that person.
    Ok, not so literal, but you get my point.

• I only hate one type of music im not sure if it has its own specific group but if its slow and sad i consider it shit because who tf wants to be sad

• I can agree with you there. Adele, for example. She has an amazing voice but God, her music makes me think of walking outside on rainy days with a flimsy jacket on.

• It does happen but it seems to happen more on the internet than in real life. I haven't really experienced anyone in real life being rude about my music, although I like weird af music. I don't care what other people listen to either but it does kind of suck how most people don't like the music I like. Makes it harder to relate.

• Jazz being my favorite genre, the fact that that was an option is great XD

• I don't know about whether my music taste is good or not but everyone I have ever met has praised me in my music taste... and I listen to EVERY kind of music!! you name it I have heard it or I'll hear it... no discrimination...

• I appreciate all music and like knowing the history of it and a lot of bands. Don't be close minded and stick to one kind of music, I'm about depth in music and lyrics that mean something so personally I don't like shitty dubstep, club music, or hip-pop (not real hip hop but claims to be).

• I listen to every genre, so I wouldn't know

• dunno... people are shits... lol.

• Taste in music or anything else is about one part what you are used/exposed to, one part your emotional type and one part how developed your tastes are. None of these things are objective or communicate.

It's not so much a matter of superior intellect (though that plays a part) as of development. Art which you find compelling has to be in the sweet spot between boring and bewildering for you. If it's too predictable or easy to get it's boring, if it's too far out for where your head is now it's confusing. It has to be challenging, to seem enlightening. Art is a product but it's not one size fits all.

• When you're a teen, at least when i was a teen (i kind of feel like it's less true today, but maybe i just don't see it) the type of music you listened to was a big part of who you were, and who you hung around with. Your clothing/hair style would follow that musical choice. Most of your friends would have similar choices.

You grow up, join the corporate workforce, have kids, you listen to 'the wheels on the bus go round and round' and it doesn't matter much.

Apart from a certain group of old people who are all like 'this music the kids listen to is craaaaap'

• all true

• Sorry dude... but fer me whoever likes 21st century music than previous decades... then they have shit on their ears...

It's pitiful when yer seein' people around ma age and younger havin' NO IDEA about wot kind of music existed before they were born...

• Because people are afraid of change, stubborn and always know better.

• I've never known anyone care-ing about what I listen to; nor for that matter what movies I watch and don't watch