What are some of your favourite literary classics?

What are your favourite classics, and why? Do they have a story that intrigues you, or exposes the ugly truths of society? i'm running out of books to read & I'd like to venture into the realm of the classics.

Most Helpful Guy

• Anything by Raymond Chandler the creator and father of the Hard-boiled Crime and Noir genres. I highly recommend just about anything he wrote, excellent author. Hah expect a lot of phrases like this in his books if you do read em.

It was a blonde. A blonde to make a bishop kick a hole in a stained glass window”; “She sat in front of her princess dresser trying to paint the suitcases out from under her eyes.

Ok next I like H. P Lovecraft though his books are a bit strange, weird, scary and overall creepy. He was quite insane so his books defiantly have that aspect of instability in them.

Rudyard Kipling is another great author and also the creator of the original Jungle Book.

Edgar Rice Burroughs another wonderful writer, and creator of the original Tarzan books.

Most Helpful Girl

• I loved the Little Women series, as well as anything by orwell. Beowulf and the canterbury tales are good too. Beowulf is more thriller-ish while the canterbury tales are lighthearted and funny.

If you want to just start out, I'd recommend getting the canterbury classics, which is a box set full of great stuff like jules verne and sir arthur conan doyle

might be a little 'modern' to be considered a classic, but i really like john grisham as well.

tbh I see a lot of people recommending the odyssey and the iliad and while those are certainly classics, i didn't really enjoy them. just because things are old doesn't mean they're necessarily good. BUT - they're both free on kindle (i think?) so it wouldn't hurt to try it out and see if you enjoy it

in terms of shakespear i really liked much ado about nothing, macbeth, and the merchant of venice. titus andronicus is one of his really great tragedies, so if you enjoy things like that you should definitely check that out too.

i happen to really like poe as well, even if he was probably high on opium when he wrote half his stories lmao (does he count as 'classic'?)

ANYWAY i'm just a little bit of a slut for classics so hmu if you want more info on any of them lmao

What Guys Said 28

• There are a lot. Most are either Science Fiction or Fantasy based, but these are the big ones on my list.

Harry Potter - the series (mostly books 3-7; and I LOVE book 4 with the Tri Wizard Tournament). It'll probably remain a "classic" - but the word "classic" tends to be judged on time as well as literary elements (though that makes a lot of it).

Sherlock Holmes. I have "the complete anthology" - I bought it at a book sale. The book is old, and falling apart, but I love it. I'm fascinated by Doyle vs Sherlock. A devout Spiritualist writing a fleshed out, fairly convincing skeptic character. I'm fascinated by that, though the stories are pretty fun. I also have a collection of Sherlock stories not written by Doyle. Some a re really cheesy, and IMHO are badly written... but there's one by Stephen King that I like.

"Lion Witch and the Wardrobe" by CS Lewis; It was one of my favorite books as a kid. I haven't read the other books yet, believe it or not... but this one was a favorite as a kid.

As I read it now, I cringe at some of it... it sounds very cheesy, and the kids are very polite... I think that the first movie of the new series (2005) seemed more accurate to how kids are (yes, even English kids in the early to mid 20th century)... but I reread it when I'm feeling nostalgic...

For a "grown up" book - The Screwtape Letters; by CS Lewis. It's an interesting take on the beliefs of demons. There's some challenges to people's "surface" ideas of "sin" as well as what we would think demons would care about (as characters).

Plus, whenever I read it aloud, I always start reading the book aloud with a raspy "demon voice" and then clear my throat and start talking with a refined English accent (yeah, the old Princess Bride "Pit of Despair" joke). I think it's hilarious.

1984 by George Orwell, A Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, and Fahrenheit 451.

1984 was my favorite book, starting from a very young age. It's been a consistent favorite for a good majority of my life. I probably read it once a year.

All of these books have concept centering around rights, freedoms, etc... which are usually universally "current." The Governments are oppressive, but in different ways. 1984, and "451" - censorship, access to information, and surveillance... "Brave New World's" oppression seems more about consumerism... they give their people drugs and focus on mundane distractions and pleasures to control them, which can be sneakier.

• Lord of the Flies
    The Sherlock Holmes series
    Anything HG Wells wrote.
    The Oddessy & Illiad

• all quiet on the western front
    100 years of solitude
    love in the time of cholera
    the great gatsby
    catcher in the rye
    1984
    brave new world
    the giver

to name a few

• Try Swiss Family Robinson, Moby Dick, little women, Anne of Green Gables, Any thing Hemingway, Charles Dickens, etc. Too numerous for me to list.

• If you can get beyond the language used Charles Dicken's is an excellent choice for looking at the dark side of society in the Great Britain of his day.

• Too many to mention, but I will say A Confederacy Of Dunces is a favorite.

• Count of Monte Cristo, The Odyssey, Original Romeo and Juliet (dont tell anyone i know irl i said that lmao)

• The Catcher in the Rye
    1984

I don't know if they're considered literary classics, but they're works of literature, and they're classics to me, but these as well:
    -Chronicles of Narnia
    -House of the Scorpion

Hmm I don't know I'm sure there are more I just can't remember them. Chronicles of Narnia probably changed my way of thinking a lot though.

• Hmmmm

Let's say To Kill A Mockingbird

• Smart people rarely exist on this site.

• Great Gatsby

• 0|0
    • What do you like about these books?

• The word play and oratorship with beautiful and perfect arrangement of plots and scenes.

• Romeo & Juliet, Julius Caesar, To Kill A Mockingbird, The Crucible, Beowulf, Dantes Inferno, MacBeth, The Canterbury Tales.

• Tried reading any of the grimm fairy tales?

• Nonfiction: Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee

Fiction (humor): The Rosie Project

Short Story: The Death of Ivan Illych

Graphic Novel (very depressing): Maus

• Dracula.
    Because there are parts that even after reading them five times still manage to scare me a little

• Catcher in the rye
    Of mice and men
    The little prince
    The old man and the sea
    Macbeth
    Faust (Goethe the German Shakespeare)

• Recently finished the parfum, the history of a murderer by Suskind and that is a very good book

• Yeah the movie is nice too but probably not if you read the book first

• @Dingsbums i was planning to watch it but now i doubt if i will

• I think it was very similar to the book but I watched the movie first. It's a good movie but it always happens to me that I dislike movies when I read the book before

• Dostovyevsky crime and punishment.

• Importance of being earnest
    to kill a mockingjay

• Lord of the rings
      never let me go (more modern, but still a classic)
      does harry potter count?
      pride an prejudice

• I'm mostly into russian classics. Maybe that's why I have a cynical sense of life.

• albert camus and fiodor dostoyevsky are two giants you should def read... .

• a song of ice and fire

• Critical thinking 101

• Clifford

• Jane Austen

• Charles Dickens is fantastic

• Beyond Good and Evil
    by Friedrich Nietzsche

What Girls Said 29

• I like reading very old literature that dates back well before the 20th century. It's interesting to see how the world worked back then and their social rules. One of my favourites is "The Picture of Dorian Grey" by Oscar Wilde - he wrote that book in prison and was criticised tremendously in his time because of the content. He liked to write about taboo subjects that ended up putting him into jail from time to time :P
    Can't think of anyone else for now but he is an author that strikes me as controversial. Anyone else I read is related back to B. C era that talks about society and culture.

• I was a HUGE fan of the vampire chronicles by Anne Rice
    (interview with a vampire, the vampire lestat and queen of the damned) and she came out with like 3 more that I'm excited to read but haven't yet. I feel like these explore the whole immortal stuff better than twilight lol they do not sparkle...

Anyway the other series of books that I ADORE are the Enders Game series (idk what to actually call them ) By Orsen Scott Card I think?
    there's a movie but the book is amazing. Earth gets attacked by these bug aliens called the Formics and they train children to be space soldiers because children have a better imagination to try to figure out how to destroy the formics.

• Omfg and I forgot one of my all time faves!! Jeez!!

A Clockwork Orange, it might be short but it's a little tricky to read because the author used a whole bunch of made up London slang. I saw the movie and it helped me understand what was happening in the book.

• The Iliad totally counts, right? :P Just make sure you get a good translation and skip book 2 otherwise it's gonna be boring as shit.

• If you want a classic with the ugly truths of society then Vladimir Nabokov's Lolita is a good one. People always misinterpret it and blame the little girl for her own abuse and that shows just how ugly society is, even the author himself was horrified that people excused the pedo in the novel and blamed the child.

• I liked that book. I hated Humbert; I hated everything about him. Not just his pedophilia.

• @Octavius Yeah Humbert was so whiny, narcissistic, and shallow... not to mention cruel and manipulative. No wonder he was given such an ugly name.

• Jason Derulo - Get ugly

• Shit. I clicks on the wrong post. This was meant to be in reply to what's your ringtone right now. Lmfao.

• *Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
    *Anais Nin's diaries
    *Henry Millers memoirs
    *A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams.

• www.theguardian.com/.../features.fiction

this site has 100 classics book names and authors

• Edith Wharton and Ray Bradbury are my two favorite classics authors :)

• Notes from the Underground by Fyodor Dostoevsky
    The Death of Ivan Ilyich by Leo Tolstoy
    The Late Mattia Pascal by Luigi Pirandello

• Crime and punishment is a good one

• Animal farm is a classic- but if course the school system may have already forced you to read that so I'd say the street lawyer by John Grisham

• To Kill a Mockingbird, 1984, Animal Farm, The Picture of Dorian Gray, The Scarlet Letter, Uncle Tom's Cabin, The Odyssey, The Grapes of Wrath, Oliver Twist, Gullivers Travels, Tom Sawyer, Slaughterhouse Five, A Clockwork Orange, Dracula... to name a few.

• Animal farm could be better in my opinion. The pigs don't convince me sometimes and the humans behave unrealistic.

• pride and prejudice will probably always be my favourite classic.

• bella.

• I like Canterbury tales and Beowulf

• Oedipus, the original tragedy.

• One of them is Romeo & Juliet because it's about this surreal kind of love. The Three Musketeers is another of my favorite literary classics. I remember I got very curious about how the movie will look like. I got excited when I finally got to watch it.

• I love The Tale of Two Cities! It flows like poetry. "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times," I also really liked The Hobbit. However, the Dragon Prince trilogy by Melanie Rawn will always have a special place in my heart it was the first high fantasy series I ever read with female characters having central roles along side men. It dealt with a lot of serious themes which made me uncomfortable but also really made me think.

• My Antonia by Willa Cather

• I like Lord Of The Rings

• One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest is my favourite. It's really good. Made me cry though.

• Hamlet, Oliver Twist, Dantes Inferno, Frankenstein

• Wuthering Heights by Brontë
    1984 by Orwell

• 1984 by George Orwell

• Some of my favorite are The Catcher in the Rye, The Great Gatsby, The Scarlet Letter, The Mockingbird just to name a few

• steinbeck book are pretty awesome-east of eden. My Antonia by willa cather, Kurt Vonnegut, He's not literary classic but I've always like David Sedaris.

• I don't know if you'll count Jurassic Park as a classic, but I couldn't put it down.
    Of Mice And Men is good. It'll make you cry though.
    To Kill A Mockingbird.
    Anything by Charles Dickens.

• Little women

• Classics to who? These are some of my fave books that i consider classics...

Challenging the Deep by Hans Hass www.goodreads.com/.../2500883.Challenging_the_Deep

The Underseas Discoveries of Jacques-Yves Cousteau Series www.goodreads.com/.../4420831-life-and-death-in-a-coral-sea

The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway www.goodreads.com/.../2165.The_Old_Man_and_the_Sea