Do you have any tips on achieving side lighting in black/white photography Outdoors?

I'm doing a shoot for my photography class and I'm shooting at the capital mall.

What Girls Said 2

• As Anon already said, if you want to throw light on a subject, use a reflector. If you don't have one, a white sheet, white foam core, white poster board... they will all work just as well. Even beyond that, if you want any type of light on your subject, pose with the sun (or other light source) behind you, the photographer as the light will then be on your subject. If you want side lighting, then pose your subject so that the light source is to their right or their left. In B&W photography though, you have to take it an extra step, because lighting becomes really important when you're talking about dealing with contrast. You want to look for subjects that contrast with the background or objects around them. For example, a white object in front of a white background is going to make for a rather boring b&w photo. Find areas, backgrounds, clothing choices, subject choices, that contrast with what is around them. Hope that helps.

• 0|0

What Guys Said 1