Is it wrong and sexist of me as an aspiring male MMA fighter to refuse to work with women for sparring and not take female MMA fighters?

seriously?

I'm a young guy in his early 20s who has been training in Muay Thai since the age of 8, wrestled a year or two in High School and trained in BJJ since the age of 12(now just recently earning a black belt). This may sound harsh but I hardly ever really care too much for women's MMA and I just simply don't like working with them either when it comes to sparring and training. That would mean I have to go very lightly on them, which is a waste for me and if I put in even a little bit of effort, that would most likely get me in trouble and rattle at least one instructor's cage at the defense of the female MMA fighter. I'm all for women be giving the opportunity to compete in any sports, including MMA but I think it's best that they stick with working with only their own genders. The women's division of MMA honestly never interested me in the slightest bit but I'll respect it's existance (which is the least I can do).

I don't care much of a bad bitch some female MMA fighters may think they are when they spar with men and want to prove something, I'd still refuse for the sake of not wasting my time, wasting my talents and getting sucked into double standards.

• Yes
  • No
  • Other Response
  • Depends

Most Helpful Girl

• I do think that it's somewhat ignorant. If you can learn something from someone, you shouldn't hold back just because of their gender. But I also doubt that anyone is going to care too much about it.

What Girls Said 9

• No, as a fighter I totally get this. There's a reason we fight in different divisions and the ring is separated by sex for a reason. HOWEVER you can definitely train with women, if not spar. You dont SOUND like you respect female MMA though lol.. these women put in as much effort as you do to prove themselves in the ring and you just phrased it like it would be a WASTE for you to work with them, which isn't true.

• you should train with people of equal ability. but you're claiming you know in advance no woman can match you. so yes its sets. its not sexist to to want top fight men or women who you can't go full face with. it is sexist to decide that means women.

why would the instructor match you with anyone who is not in your level. man or woman? that sounds irresponsible.

anyhow you seem like you are looking for an excuse to disparage Women, like you are out to prove something. Maybe you're worried you'll get your ass kicked and that will bother you. so you avoid it by claiming its unfair to her and waste of your time. sounds defensive.

• Tbh it is a little sexist, because there really are some female fighters that kick the crap out of male fighters, but it's technically not sexist because males ARE built to be stronger and sturdier.

I would say it's a little bit of both I guess.

Tbh I would think the experience would help you more than anything. I'm not a MMA fighter by any means, but when my bfs were teaching me how to fight, I'd surprise them and win from time to time. As it turned out I might not be able to punch since I have no upper body strength, but I can kick pretty hard.

• I don't think it's necessarily sexist because you even stated that you don't mind the idea of female MMA fighters, if it's just a personal thing where you aren't into it then there's little wrong with that. It's preference.

• I believe of the core principles of Muay Thai is self control and discipline. Sparring with people who are not at your level should teach you to control your strength. This would work the same for sparring with men who aren't as advanced as you.

• Well forst of all its a dick move not to go all out even if i sucked id rather get my ass beat than have some douche bag patronize me don't make up stupid excuses just friggen fight her and if someone gives you shit about it than tell them its sexist not to fight at full capacity just cuz she's a chick y'know. I mean seriously don't be so biased.

• Just don't be rude about it. Explain your reasons carefully to those you train with and work for. I mean, look at Ronda Roussey. There might be a good female MMA fighter for you to spar with and have a look at some feminine techniques.

• You're not sexist... I wouldn't want a male sparring partner. maybe messing around but not in all seriousness. Biologically men are stronger than women. A man could punch me in the head so hard that I could possibly die and i'm not looking to die anytime soon.

• It's fine but from an outsider's perspective it might seem like you're afraid of being beat by a girl.

• I just prefer making the best use of my talents (to learn more of what I'm capable of) and not have to constantly go very light on each woman I spar with. I'll admit, gender double standards plays a minor role on why I refuse to work with women but it has very little to nothing to do with me being "afraid" of losing to a girl.

• you have not gone against all women you have o idea ion a woman can beat you, you and yes it sounds like you are afraid to find out.

by the way how big are you height & weight?

What Guys Said 8

• it's pretty douchey.

If you cared about your sport, you'd train with the best available to you. if you're a heavyweight with half a dozen pro fights, nobody's gonna expect you to train hard with a featherweight rookie chick anyway, but if you're a rookie in a smaller weight class, why not?

But if there's a promising woman in your gym, you're gonna come off as a selfish dick if you brush her off while everyone else is contributing to the team, and you'll probably lose some support from others.

I suppose there's a pretty obvious reason you're just aspiring to fight and not a trainer.

• When it comes to fighting and sports in general... there is power, technique, drive, and intelligence... that's the core of greatness.

A female at the top of her game whose pitted against an equally talented male may be at a disadvantage given the lack of power behind her frame, but she is perfectly capable of matching a man in every other aspect.

So, are you sexist? It's irrelevant from a fighters standpoint. However, what should give you pause is your inability to see the strengths and weaknesses of an opponent.

Every fight can teach you something if you let it.

• Not all sexual discrimination is sexism. Only irrational sexual discrimination is sexism. I do not think that you are being irrational.

• lol false. discriminaton is discrimination. thats why its called discrimination. its called sexual discrimination, its not called sexual discernment.

• e- i don't care

• With bjj there are women that could spank you so yea with that
    But i guess i understand with striking
    You would be stupid to assume that your better than a woman tho
    if she tried to offer you pointers and you dont listen thats dumb...

• No as this is a lose lose situation if you lose to a girl than you get mocked but if you win you get framed as a woman beater. Spar with guys bro.

• Spoken like someone with no knowledge of the difference between fighting and training.

• @Dandeus he clearly said sparring in that to. Even if you pad up everything with the shear difference in power between men and females. There is a likelihood that she could still get hurt. Not every female are these durable tomboy bad asses.

• It is sexist since you'd go very lightly on them, would u go lightlylightly on smaller guy than you? Nope then why'd u go light on women?

• of course you would. the point of being a training partner isn't to beat someone up, it's to prepare the person for their upcoming fight. if you don't have the self control to dial back your power or stick to a training regimen prescribed by the coach, you're a pretty shitty training partner.

• @Dandeus yea but then why'd he go point out he go lightly only on women and not other guys? Lol? And if he think they are waste on him, he prolly won't fight them neither, would he also not fight smaller guys?

• If they have skills, you can learn something in sparring with them. Sparring isn't fighting. Sparring is practice time. Of -course- you could open up and outpower them. So what?