Will rock music ever be mainstreamed again?

• I hope so.
  • I hope not.

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't think it stopped being "mainstream", but the quality has dropped significantly for the most part. Turn on your local rock station, and it will mostly be awful metalcore, buttrock bands people forgot ten years ago, and the occasional grunge, hair metal, or classic rock stuff. I don't even know good any good rock bands that started recently; most that I listen to started in the 90s or earlier.

I think rock has branched off into the bastardized genres that combined metal/hardcore and ruined them both, and the pussy indie shit from nerds running around in corduroy sweaters. If rock's gonna come back, we need bands that go back to the basics: awesome riffs, good lyrics, and actual rock vocals (not faggy emo screeching or hipster whining) a la Robert Plant or Chris Cornell. Someone posted that rock isn't experimental enough, but I'd say it's the opposite. Too many bands are trying to djent, electrify, or in other forms ruin their sound. No more turntables, drop F tunings, and undistorted guitars with cutesy effects. If rock is to come back, we need true rock bands that bring back the sound that made it great - not fucking Five Finger Death Punch or Halestorm.

• Hey, I love indie music!

• Thanks for MH, even if I was being kind of a dick, lol.

• You weren't.

Most Helpful Girl

• i love rock music, not much into current trend- techno music
    hopefully they will be "in" again

What Guys Said 11

• I honestly feel like rock is in a weird place right now, and people have brought up some good points... Not that rock music itself is weird, it's just a lot of it is kinda stuck in the past, stagnant in its sound. Distorted guitars, bass, and drums...

Then on the other end, you have bands that like to push the envelope a little bit, maybe a little "too far" for pop radio. So there's this "gap" that few bands fill.

Fall Out Boy is a good example of a rock band that does a modern pop-rock sound really well in my opinion. Patrick Stump is a practical musical genius so I think it probably comes fairly easy for him, and he's gotten a lot of opportunities and the connections, so that helps, but for most it's very hard to tap into that "certain something" that pushes a solid rock track into the pop-radio, Top-40 territory. That "pop-song" quality of what makes a song a big hit...

It's hard to explain, but you just don't really hear it from rock bands these days. And it's constantly evolving... A band's just gotta write the right song at the right time, I think.

• A lot of more experimental or progressive sounding bands do well on alternative radio, so that's one thing too... but they're still typically missing that "pop-track-for-the-masses" quality with their music too. Their music generally goes over most people's heads unfortunately...

• An interesting article from a few years back: "Who Killed Rock Radio?"

spectator.org/articles/35138/who-killed-rock-radio

• I think rock music is lacking musical elements and it will be the very reason for people to abandon it. Nowdays kids just like beats even they are only beats in the soundtrack without any instruments or lyrics = = And talking about lyrics, rock music's lyrics is so making sense in 2016..

• I hope not because generally the mainstream kills the genre. Hence hip-hop.

• That's a bit dramatic...

• I hope not, because rock and metal are musics of outsiders... i don't care that rock isn't mainstream, i'm actually glad it isn't because everything mainstream eventually becomes shit...

• I guess, but I hate that I can't ever just have it all around me the way it used to be.

• I barely have any friends. Besides, I don't to talk about it, just listen to it.

• but the point of music is to feel it, to live it, and what better way to express what you felt through firends by sharing it.

• If only. Those were the days...

• Well Linkin Park and Nickelback are both mainstreamed.

• I think minds these days are way too simple to handle anything like rock and roll. Today they are more hooked on tribal sounding mono tone chants performed by touch button musicians.

• Rock in my opinion was perfected and it's become boring because so many bands are just tweeting and rehashing the same old style. And when there's genre's like experimental music and electronic music and even rap to a certain extent that are clearly pushing boundaries into untouched territories I think rock is being left in the dirt. The only rock that I think stands a chance are math rock, punk, those atmospheric ballad like bands, and those crossover rock bands that are like half rock half country or classical or something. For Rock to be popular again they have to beat the greats in their genre and the greats are really just too great.

• Really? I think the reason boundaries aren't being pushed in rock is because people don't care for it too much anymore.

• It's the chicken or the egg. Is rock not pushing boundaries because no one cares or does no one care because rock isn't pushing boundaries? Either way rock needs to shake things up in order for people to change their opinion of it.

• Yea... What are people's opinions of it?

• no. the black have taken over.

• when the emos die?

• Why then?

• Why would they do that?

• because the emos are sad

What Girls Said 0