What got you into your favorite type of music?

What type of music do you mostly listen to and what got you into it?

I'm mostly into rock and metal. My favorite band in grade school was Creed and I always liked the guitar riffs that Mark Tremonti wrote, so I started playing guitar. I would read interviews that he did with rock magazines and he talked about growing up on Metallica, Black Sabbath, and other heavier bands. It took me a while, but eventually, I started listening to them and I've been hooked ever since.

What got you into your favorite kind of music?

Most Helpful Girl

• My parents got me into stuff like Bryan Adams and Journey when I was younger and that led to me discovering other bands in that genre or heavier. I now listen to bands like Skid Row, Megadeth, Van Halen, Sex Pistols, Ramones and Bon Jovi. I also play guitar and through my guitar teacher, I get to listen to other rock/ metal bands.

Most Helpful Guy

• I listen nowadays mostly progressive metal. An older example of this would be Dream Theater, but modern progressive metal (often with lots of djent) is stuff like Animals As Leaders, Periphery, and ERRA.

Animals As Leaders -- Song of Solomon
    http://youtu.be/ihqT1aA4Q88
    Their stuff is insane. I would say that's not even one of their hardest ones either. Animals As Leaders tends to go into like a jazz metal hybrid thing, but I still label them as progressive metal/djent.

I really appreciate the technicality and musicianship of the progressive metal bands, and often times the lyrical content is similar-ish to that of metalcore (albeit less angsty teen and more raw emotions). A good example of that would be Luck As A Constant by Periphery:
    From 2:58 on is pure gold. It also has my favorite solo
    http://youtu.be/G8nM0LTxTOo

What Girls Said 15

• I like a variety of music , but I especially like country music. The lyrics have such deep meaning which I can relate to at times. Listening to some country songs seems to be therapeutic for me.

My father used to love country music , so I grew up listening to it.

• For me it was kind of like a rebellion thing I guess. My family primarily listens to country music. I wanted to be different so I started listening to pop, then switched to rock once my sister got into pop. And I've listened to rock ever since.

• Rock and metal :)

• How'd you get into it?

• I also realise I read this question as 'wat's your favourite type of music' rather than 'what got you into' it :P

• Yeah, it's a bit flamboyant. I like Steel Panther a lot because they're mostly just taking the piss out of it and it's hilarious. Plus, they do it so well that I didn't realise they were a modern band at first.

• favorite is pop, i was one of those music snobs when i was a teenager only listening to rock music but then i discovered i rlly enjoy dance clubs (without drinking) and then started listening to dance pop more. they're much more positive than most rock songs.
    another favorite genre is rap, i also used to dislike it but then i started hanging out with a guy who loved 90s gangsta rap and a lot of the songs he played in his car were ear worms and i loved rap ever since.

• I listen to mostly everything but I love a lot of 80s music due to my parents blasting it when I was a child. My mum loves rock too & I've loved a variety of metal songs since being introduced to them by friends when I was in my teens.

• I'm into 90's rap, hiphop and R&B and I'm not entirely sure what got me into it, as soon as I got a laptop at the age of 8, I was always on YouTube listening to music and the suggestions they give you on there, so i guess that kinda brought me where I am today :)

• Who are your favorite rappers?

• I just realized that 2pac's mother died last week. Oh so 2pac is the fourth.

• @JohnMike999 yeah as a lyricist he comes 4th in my list but as a person he woyld be number 1 for being gangster and awesome and he did a couple of movies too he's a good actor

• When i learnt of their death on the news

• As stupid as it is, when I was a teenager (14-16) I met someone that really changed my vision of things and the way I saw the world. My parents had just gotten a divorce and everything was changing in my life and that guy in my class started talking to me because he went through the same thing when he was younger and I know it's not a big deal but back then it was. He used to take me back to his place and we would listen to Guns N Roses and discover all the rock classics while eating cookies and talking about our childhoods and since that time, I became a huge rock fan. Thanks to him.

• Rock and metal seems to be the genre I fall back on the most.

• Hard to say because I like so many styles. I'd have to say my parents and my current boyfriend have introduced me to some really great stuff. Rock, blues, pop, R&B, jazz, Folk, metal.

• internet, just watching some video of video games then I end up to some really good mV with awesome song

• My best friend and my Papi. Her mom is Jamaican and always had reggae playing when I stayed over. And I'm half Puerto Rican so when my dad actually home, he would play Spanish music.

• I love R&B and as a child grew fond of it after listening to a Toni Braxton album.

• I like a little bit of everything, and I discover the music by just going on youtube

• My friend originally got me to listen to Fall Out Boy's newest album when we were killing time at camp, and I ind of just said "oh cool" and filed it away in my mind

Fast forward to a few months later, and I'm having a tough time dealing with life. I'm being shoved around, people I'm close to keep leaving me and moving away, I'm the worst swimmer on my team, and three people I'm close with have died in the span of two months, which ripped the plug out of the hole that I was storing memories of my godmother and my grandmother's deaths in. I didn't want to think, and everything hurt, and I hurt myself because I thought that that was what I deserved. I'm lying in bed at 3 in the morning, trying not to think, and I decided to put my headphones in and listen to music to help me sleep. I ended up falling asleep to Fall Out Boy, and I've been hooked on their music ever since, which has lead me to other similar bands in the genre, and similar genres, like metalcore and post-hardcore, as well as a lot of pop-punk.

I am proud to say that I'm a lot better now, a year later. I just completed the AP US History exam and I was really nervous going in, but I'm proud of myself. My swimming has improved, and I've found people who have stayed by my side. People continue to die on me (4 more, to be precise) and when my friend told me she tried to commit suicide the night before, I thought I would slip up and go back to the dark corner of my brain that hates me, but I've been handelling it ok.

What Guys Said 18

• Jazz has a lot of feelings in it

JS Bach is nearly higher mathematics transformed to sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLoMsi54-nI

www.uchicago.edu/.../

• i really dont have a favorite type i have a love for so many different types
    everything from
    counrty
    heavy metal --matalica,
    80's-90's rock- ratt, joan jett, motley crew
    all 50's 70's rock jimi hendrix, deep purple, beatles
    swing - big band- andrew sisters, louis jordon
    classical beethven, bach
    it all depends on my mood for what i listen to

• What got you into them?

• to tell you the truth i have no idea. some times there's a song that i have never heard before but when i do i have a feeling i have listen to it all my life. so then it gets added to my my music selection.
      the funny thing is i love music but i can not play an instrument or carry a tune to sing.
      if you dont mind me asking are you or where you in bravo comp.10th battalion? if so thank you for everything you have done

• EDM -> Darude and college parties
    Reggaeton/Latin -> Juan Magan, Don Omar, andddd yup, Latin women

• my favorite is probably classic rock. don't really know what initially got me into it. I think it may have been Jimi Hendrix.

I always liked rock music growing up and then in middle school a Jimi Hendrix greatest hits came out. to that point i'd never heard of him but was surprised to see a guy who looked like me (at least skin color anyway) rockin so hard. i got into Jimi and then Cream, then The Beatles, Zeppelin, Allmans, on and on

• i dont focus on a genre of music most of the times, if i like a songs lyrics then i like to listen to that song, and doesn't care what genre is it.

• soca and dancehall. I got into it after going to multiple clubs playing top 40, no one is really dancing, just trying to hook up. The vibe in Reggae clubs was a lot better.

• Being openminded.

I don't have a favorite type of music, I listen to a lot of things

• Hip hop/Rap. The reason I started listening to hip hop is mainly from videogames, i was inspired to listen to old school rap from games like GTA SA.

• Started off with Nu Metal bands, namely Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, etc. because my brothers listened to them.

Eventually I drifted on to Thrash, Death, Black, etc. Metal and loved it ever since.

Now I pretty much listen to anything.

• Soundtracks from movies. I think thats self explanatory

• Post-rock, Sigur Rós got me into it. I knew Hoppípolla from somewhere and I just kept listening.

• The fact the songs sound cool

• Rock/grunge/metal. My favorites are Alice in Chains, Mad Season, Soundgarden, Megadeth, Mastodon, Melvins, Opeth, Gojira, Slayer and like, another 600 bands. I think it was my parents that got me into it, mainly my dad.

• I dont like any one sort of music. Its basically a variety of everything.

• I listen to a lot of jazz. Like A LOT. Got into it after joining a jazz band in highschool, it's been amazing.

• Rock in all it's many forms.

• I really got into "Trap" music after I installed a sub and an amp into my car.

It hits really loud and sounds dope.

• Since 15 I've been an 80s guy. I started to search 80s music in depth since then and after 10 years later I'm still into this era. Or to put it even better, my favorite "decade" is from 1978 till 1987.

I like a variety of genres from that era, like Glam Metal, Hard Rock, AOR, Melodic Rock, Power Pop, New Wave, Synth-Pop, Post-Punk.

Not a fun of Soul or Jazz-related genres though. No matter how much I tried I cannot "get" those genres. They sound really bland to me.