Which would you choose if it was you?

There's a movie coming out called Inferno I believe and it got me thinking.

Let's say there's a switch. If you flip it, it'll kill half the worlds population of humans but if you do not flip it, then in 100 years the entire human race would go extinct forever.

You're humanities last hope, what do you do?

I personally would not flip it. It'd be better than years of recovery from losing so many lives + dealing with the aftermath.

Nobody else but you would know the world is ending and you'd be dead in 100 years anyway. I think it'd be better for the earth in the long run. (Yes I am thinking of the Earths well-being over the humans)

• Flip it.
  • Don't flip it.
It's interesting how it's 8 to 23.

Most Helpful Guy

• No I would not flip the burger. I don't want to be the decision maker for the lives of 3.5 billion+ people.. The fate of human race like everything else in the universe has only one destination anyway, and that is death.

Why would I extend the life of the human race without certainty of how long it will exist over the price of so many people's lives. Who knows, if I flip the burger the extended life years is only just 20, 50, 80 years. A sacrifice for nothing. I'd rather let the people figure out how to survive in a span of 100 years. So noperzz.

Most Helpful Girl

• I wouldn't flip the switch. What does it matter that the human race would go extinct. It would be better for the world. It drives me crazy that humans think they are sooooo important while we're really just a small part of the universe. People really think they're the centre of the universe.
    Plus I'm not gonna kill the humans that are currently living, I don't want to be responsible for that. I wouldn't be able to live with myself. I'd just let faith do its thing.

What Guys Said 10

• I'd flip it. Why? I may be dead by the time of Earth's, but what about any future offspring? Grandchildren? Would I be willing to subject them to inevitable doom? If I didn't flip the switch, I feel like I'd almost give up hope in things like having children since I'd be like "well, there's no point so I won't even try." That's like being a failure of a species lol

Killing off half the population will create trauma for, oh, 50 years. While hard, the human race will eventually bounce back. Killing off everyone (even if eventual) will cease humanity completely.

Well, in also a more logically twisted sense, killing off half the population would certainly get rid of the problem of overpopulation for awhile.

• B, but within 100 years I sure hope we'll evolve so much through technological advances and science that we aren't just standard regular human beings anymore. Maybe we'll reach Technological Singularity, and become a collective consciousness in neural networks of supercomputers, assimilated and merged with Superior Artificial Intelligence thus by then humans have the opportunity to become beyond Organic and Biological Limitations and Restrictions.

It would be like the next step in evolution. Those that are able to completely evolve and upgrade no longer really have to be concerned about any possibility of death anymore.

• I'd flip A COIN... heads... i'd flip it, tails, i won't...
    Reasons:
    Flip- the world is already getting to being overpopulated anyway
    Dont flip- in 100 years, i won't be here muahahahahah...

• Usually I pick a softer and more humane option. However here another option is 'extinction'. I don't see why it's worse than losing half human population.

If I flip it; I can die or people I love can die immediately.
    I don't like idea of deciding random people's lives like that. Also, I am soft but for things like this I can't think about others. Anyone can die randomly so for saving myself from that trouble... I prefer to kill all at once. At least I know that everyone would get same end.

For saving people from grief of future - distribute flyers saying "Free condoms/birth control operations. Don't have babies." :P

• Flip it then kill myself as punishment.
    If I'm sending 3.5 billion humans to the afterlife to save humanity, then I should be one of them

• Couldn't we just take the warning labels off of products and let nature take it's course?

• I wouldn't flip it. There's no saving the humans.

• There is gonna be overpopulation, and this could solve it. Let's see if I'm a lucky guy or not.

• would animals still be able to live on earth after our extinction?

i believe that's the well being you're referring' to, not the earth's

• Well I mean the earth itself, plants and nature. theyd all be okay but every human would die and go extinct

• well imma have to put humans first... so i'd make half the population vanish.

• Have you read the book Inferno by Dan Brown?

What Girls Said 6

• Hahahaha right now it's 10 to 1 to flip it. The world is already overpopulated and at this rate in a few hundred years we will have killed our planet anyways.

• Flip it.
    I am not a moron!

• so end the human race or have some trauma but humans live on? Gonna chose humans living on

• I'm used to always humanities last hope in games I play. :D

Yes i would flip the switch.

• I would flip the switch

• I wouldn't flip.