Why are people talking about "buying" ebooks?

People are like

"Hey guys, how much would you pay for an ebook?"

"Downpriced ebooks, only $2.99!"

It just doesn't make sense. It's funny. Why would anyone pay for that? It's not even a real book you're buying, just an incredibly restrictive license to read it. If you want an ebook, you go on a tor**** site. It's easy and completely free. They won't bother to come after you.

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 17

• I buy eBooks - but I immediately strip off the DRM. I'm happy to pay, but don't think for one second that I'm going to be restricted by which device I read it on or lose access because some store goes out of business.

DRM is evil, and I won't have it in my life. The harder they make it, the LESS likely they get my money. Fortunately, books are simple to strip clean, so I don't mind paying.

• What is the DRM?
      A copy protection?

• @jacquesvol DRM = digital rights management = copy protection.

Also, it should be noted that until very recently, ebooks were not "sold", they were "licensed" - meaning you didn't legally "own" your copy. But publishers were paying authors based on a much lower pay rate for SOLD COPIES (royalties for LICENSED copies is much higher) - essentially trying to have their cake and eat it too. But authors have been suing and winning back pay at licensed rates - which of course, publishers don't want to pay - so publishers have had to remove the "license agreement" language and acknowledge that your copy is being sold to you and that you own it. in my opinion, the days of DRM are growing shorter, much like they eventually did for music - but only after music publishers lost billions by refusing to sell music electronically and a track-at-a-time (if people so chose), which just trained people to pirate it instead.

DRM means your "ownership" is at the whim of the seller.

• Realistically, not every single book is guaranteed to be available on torrents though. And sometimes even torrents are fake or the torrents die when users stop seeding them or when things are really recently released and relatively new they may not always be available until a group or individual creates a DRM-free or DRM removed release.

As for restrictive licenses such as DRMs.

Well, there are ways for someone to circumvent and bypass those limitations with the right decryption software and tools. And then they would be able to save the ebook as a PDF file or something and just use that same ebook on multiple devices.

• The $2.99 is meant for people who A. Haven't figured out that they can google what's in the book. B. The person that wrote the book googled what they wrote. C. PDFs go on your phone and most people can get them before you can enter your credit card number.

tor**** at your own risk, it's not illegal but it's a red flag that your ISP watches you for so realize your taking a risk every time

• Because someone went through all of the trouble to actually write that book, did the research, spent the time and you think that is not worth anything? I have written books, poetry, etc. and would love to make my. living doing it. But instead I hold down 4 jobs and try and find time to write. Thank you for nothing.

• To support the author you pirate. I have been downloading video games my whole life thus far but as of late I started buying the ones I liked. Even the old ones.

• A lot of people want to support the ones creating content that we enjoy.

• Not all ebooks are available via tor****. Also it's better if you own a product to a certain degree. People pay money on Steam for single player games too, it supports the creator.

• I agree. I think the best reading app is a library card.

• The same way they buy e-boobs it's normal, but the real books
    doesn't sell in internet, they're made from paper.

• authors got bills too.

• Will paying for shit hurt you that much? I like free shit when price tag hits $500 but little shit like eBooks I can afford, it's not like it's gonna hurt my pocket.

• Even super cheap ones are too much when converted to my currency.

• . Because we're not all criminals?

• did you block tor**** or did gag do it?

• I know right. Paying for memory is not smart. Sadly, I've done this before.

• Maybe you want to support the writer?

• the best one

• Some people are happy with the electronic version, and uncomfortable with theft. So they buy e-books, or use online music sources, or whatever.

I have even known people who buy the ebook, and then go download the DRM free version. But they are willing to support the producers of content.

What Girls Said 0