What do you find beautiful in a piano piece?

I'm playing the piano for a very special event for my school, and my friend is playing another piece. Unfortunately, I'm very competitive and don't want to sound not as good as her. I have several pieces in mind, but have to chose one. Should I go for more moving/beautiful or more complicated? If you were listening what would you listen for?

Most Helpful Guy

• If I were sitting in the audience I would want to be moved and touched by the music. And of course music doesn't have to be overly complex to be moving. I would want to have the audience members feeling the emotion of the piece.

Most Helpful Girl

• kind of depressing but i usually love sad sounding pieces. i love pieces that kinda get into my soul and take me to another place. one i like is called at the ivy gate by brian crain. quite pretty and it doesn't seem too hard to play. i can already play a bit of it and i just started learning that one.

What Guys Said 5

• Not doing fucking fast triplets the entire song. Please stop. That's all they do at the recitals at my school.

• I like beautiful melody.

• Well I suppose people nowadays like music in romantical period.
    Well dont know what do you want to win?
    If you want something like flower over explode
    Liszt-widmung maybe a choice, sorry I like the chinese interpretation.
    Others... I think that is like literatures
    https://youtu.be/CawhTZ4BPMo

• Soul over technique, every time.

• Personally I love Beethoven's 5th movement.

What Girls Said 1

• just post us the links it would be better in my opinion