Do you think Muay Thai should ever be an Olympic Sport competition?

Why or why not?

• Yes. If Boxing, Wrestling and Judo can be Olympic Sports, why can't Muay Thai?(explain)
  • No. It's too brutal and dangerous.(explain)
  • Others (explain)

Most Helpful Guy

• Synchronized swimming is in the Olympics FFS.

I think muay thai more than qualifies!

MMA should be there as well.

What Girls Said 4

• Yes!!! 100% yes... And why? because table tennis and fast walking are in olympics too...

• YES, it should! Because why not, it's a beautiful sport :)

• If waving ribbons and fast walking is, then yes!

• I dont know what the hell that even is ok

What Guys Said 21

• Nope and to be honest I don't think any fighting arts should be in the Olympics, martial arts is an art of self defense and improvement, discipline, war and killing.

It's not for bagged down competition or for global entertainment besides when it comes to these kinds of arts you have to put the kids gloves on so to speak and tone it down for these kinds of things restrict a lot and overall degrade the art itself and does not allow it to function in it's entirety. Also these arts are quite dangerous for the reasons I stated above and when you put limits on what you can do with that specific art then you degrade it as a whole and aren't able to fully utilize it all.

• matial arts have been part of the Olympics from day one.

• I used to box a bit some wrestling at school and kenpo. Boxing as martial art has been water down so badly, I once been a champion boxer in a street fight, he was fitter, better technically and faster but outside the ring without the bell, rounds, gloves and headguard he was easy meat. Many boxers get used to only fighting other boxers and get too used to padded gloves and headguards.

• @Righttobeararms83 Exactly they are degrading and watering down the art of fighting to the point were you can only go toe to toe in area's or tournaments but yet in a real fight you'll get your ass handed to you or worse killed.

• Kinda okay with it but it's a slippery slope. Kick boxing and MMA will probably follow right behind Muay Thai.

Then you also need certain rules. Boxing in the Olympic is different than the professional ring. I think they use bigger gloves to reduce the punch snapping power.

• I don't know how you would set it up.
    Personally I'd love both mma and muay thai in the Olympics. But those two sports the potential for fucking both fighters up in the first fight is so high that it'd be difficult to have a fighter fight a tournament at the same level. Only way it could work is if they wore wrestlers shoes, mma gloves and modified headgear that would guard from punches but not prevent the choke. That way the freak injuries are minimized and you can fight more than once a week.

As it stands ufc fighters are put on automatic 30 day suspension to avoid any problems after a fight win or lose. There's a reason for that. If they can account for all of the possible mishaps and setup a tournament setting that is safe enough for it to be insured, then I don't see why they couldn't do that. I just don't know how they would do it.

• The problem with MMA being an olympic sport is that MMA is all martial arts/combat sports combined, which would mean boxing, TKD, Judo and Wrestling would all be pointless for the olympics and I don't want that to happen to two of my favorite Olympic combat sports (boxing and wrestling). I like them kept in the Olympics competition so I can see the very best or the master of those combat sports/martial arts rather than just strictly the jack of all trades.

• https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pankration
      Panktation was a martial art in the original Olympics

• olympic? why?

it's already good as how it's presented now.

traditional Thai boxing.

• Yes, it should be on the Olympics... not just Muay Thai, but also Dodgeball, Pankration and some other sports.

• No reason why not but there's competition for places at the Olympics from other Sports, Taekondo being one. Karate was given a shot to be an Olympic sport but the different Karate federations couldn't get their act together so they blew it and won't likely get another shot again.

• No, I don't think it should be now because it doesn't have a large enough global following/number of practitioners. However, I do think it would be great to watch in the Olympics. I think you are more likely to see MMA in the Olympics than Muay Thai, though.

• I hear they are working on getting wrestling removed completly. Which is dumb in my opinion
    And where I live they stopped airing boxing on tv which pisses me off
    And judo idt I've ever seen on tv either
    So no idt they would add it. Because nowa days its all about money :(

• It would be fun to watch but I don't think the Olympic committee wants anything that violent to be included in the games so I doubt it'll ever happen

• It should be for mine

• Hell yeah.

• yes it should be

• They have judo, so why not?

• I don't see why not. It's a sport after all.

• i would like to say yes but it is way to brutal for the Olympics

• Why not. It'd be nice to watch

• many sports are arguably just as dangerous

• don't care.

JKD only.

• I don't see why it shouldn't be.

• There's no real reason as a sport why not... the question is whether it has enough global appeal to stick as an olympic sport.

• never