Why do women like "Game of Thrones"?

Women aren't generally fans of high fantasy like Warcraft or Lord of the Rings. If I asked most women what the White Tree of Gondor was or whom Beorn the skin changer is, they would have no idea what I'm talking about. But, many seem to be fond of Game of Thrones. What is it about the GOT fantasy universe that entices women?

Most Helpful Girl

• What's not to like? It has something in it for pretty much everyone, unless you don't like too much nudity or violence in your shows. There's action, drama, romance, mystery, a dash of comedy, some horror, a good story, huge plot twists, big personality characters, good actors, and it's well-produced.

I like the fantasy genre, as I'm sure some other women do, so that's part of it, but even without that it has a draw. The first season of game of thrones was practically devoid of a lot of the magic and supernatural aspects, until Dany hatched her dragons, but it was a big hit even then.

Most Helpful Guy

• Maybe because it looks more like a soap opera.

What Girls Said 14

• I like GOT because it's something that I've watched with my boyfriend for the past few seasons. Just because GOT is of a genre similar to LOTR, doesn't mean that the plotline can't be any better or more appealing.

• I love Lord of the Rings. I don't like GoT.

• I love fantasy and sci-fi already so I mean got just fits in plus I mean boobs.

• Yeah, but most women aren't lesbians or bisexual.

• Which is why I also said I love fantasy and sci-fi already and so do many women

• fantasy is my favorite genre, there's more to it than just warcraft or lord of the rings. game of thrones also has better looking characters and is enticing and interesting to watch. it also has a ton of female characters.

• It never interested me tbh :/ But yeah I noticed most of my female friends are into it

• It's just entertainment. Don't think so much...

• you are wrong there are huge amounts of women into the fantasy stuff

• Because DRAGONS and SEX.

• I heard the actors are very hot

• It's really really ignorant to believe that women don't like high fantasy.

• Not really. They generally don't.

• LOTR is Epic fantasy driven Story Fantasy world
      GoT is an Epic Character driven Story in a fantasy world, basically the storylines are much more interesting and relateable to a wider range of women

• Maybe because men who tend to like high fantasy tend to obsess over it, whereas women just appreciate it.

• Honestly, the only time I ever watched it was when my crush invited me over to do so.

• Lots of women are fans of LOTR, they just don't go batshit about it. GOT is an awesome show with and amazing storyline and great characters, how can you not love it?

• Omg you obviously don't know many women. I know heaps that like LOTR just not obsessed.

• The male cast :D

What Guys Said 8

• I'm a dude and I don't know what most of that shit is. Anyways, most non nerds like game of thrones because
    1- it's fun
    2- hot people
    3- an interesting story
    4- extremely unpredictable
    5- TV is an easy medium to get into

• Strong female characters, the character stories are some of the best most complex ever written. The drama and intrigue. I know the female cast is one of the most attractive, so I would assume likewise the other way. HBO. Violence and nudity.

• why aren't women generally fans of high fantasy? I've met plenty

• I've met plenty of girls who have seen Lord of the Rings.
    Anyway, the reason many enjoy GoT is because it's a popular show that is still on the air, thus it gets a lot of viewership, and influences a lot of conversations.

• Watching Lord of the Rings doesn't count. You have to read the book.

• I've read them multiple times, though the sheer length of the trilogy may be intimidating to some.

• I think it has more to do with the timing. The whole "nerd" concept became something cool to be in those late years, instead of something to stay away from.

• Because of the drama and the realism i think
    Could you imagine a lotr or warcraft like that? It would be amazingggg
    Even tho i already like those two universes more than got

• it has rape and murder.

• I don't know about Warcraft but the females in LotR are cardboard cutouts. One critic described them as "women as imagined by a 10 year old boy".

Say what you like about George Martin but he does not have that fault.