Is it cool or lame to be a gamer?

Is it lame to come home after work and just want to chill out and play videogames? I say chill out loosely because I play online and it gets pretty competitive and I can get pretty mad sometimes lol

But I'm even a member of a competitive gaming community. I used to compete in tournaments and everything, years ago, but that fire is still left over inside somewhat. Is that lame? Or is that actually cool to enjoy gaming like that?

It's not all I do by any means, I go out and hang out with friends and coworkers and stuff, but it consumes a lot of my free time when I'm at home. I'd rather play a game and challenge myself against other players than just kick back and watch a movie or tv, where there is no interaction or control over the outcome.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it's cool for someone to have a passion for something. Whether it be gaming or gardening or whatever lol. I like it, and a lot of the guys I've dated were gamers as well. As long as gaming doesn't affect your future (or current) relationship, in that you choose to do that over spend time with your SO, I see no issue with it whatsoever.

• See that's what I need, a cool chick lolol

• Ahh, serious! Nice page

• Thanks! I don't run the account but I'll contribute with videos every so often.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think you're fine and chill as a gamer. As long as you don't allow it to completely overtake your life and actually have a social life with real people then you're fine. It's important to always have a balance between your hobbies and other important priorities in real life.

I'm not the kind of gamer that plays online and even less when it comes to any kind of competitive multiplayer games as I am much more interested in Mods and Single Player Campaigns.

by the way, what games do you typically play? Are you more of a console gamer or a PC gamer? Or both?

What Girls Said 8

• Lame - unless you are stuck there as caregiver/other, resting up, killing time and everything else in life is firing on all cylinders
    This is not a life, this is a prison, looking out at fun between the bars.

There are ironic stories that tell of stupid hobbies that turn devotees into highly successful businessmen, e. g. inventing & producing video games is now a very well paid job? If this is a probably, likely goal and you found a paved path to this end, then kudos... and continue honing your craft.

Warning that avoiding social development, however laid back WILL stifle ANY career advancements for you down the road, no matter how similar to you your new coworkers may be.

• Well I am an engineer so it's not like I'm a loser working a low wage low skill job just gaming my life away lol.

• Look at this garbage lol

• Who cares? If it makes you happy, and isn't hurting anyone, just ignore what the haters say.

Do you feel that it's getting in the way of something more that you want from life? If so, just take a small break and try other things for a while and see how it feels.

• I LOVE video games personally. There is nothing wrong with playing in your free time. If i could play all day i would. Gaming is a way to realease frustration and stress virtually and it can keep you from doing other things you shouldn't. If you're like me i use them to realease anger and stress and get aeay from reality for a few long hours haha (: Is gaming lame? No its fxxxxxx awesome!

• I'm a bit biased and think it's cool, though I play video games as well. :D

• Awesome! What are your favorite games to play?

• Nintendo needs it to, they've been dinking around with the gimmicky stuff for too long!

• This time they aren't going with the VR gimmick at all. They said that's not worth investing in for VR is going to take more time to really improve to the point of being worth making.

I think from rumors about the NX, that it's going to maybe make it so it can work with PC's and other electronics. I have to say Nintendo has done a seriously good job at keeping it extremely silent about the NX. :D

• It's cool.

• It's cool.

• Eh lame to me
    Nothing impressive

• I don't expect it to be impressive lol, just accepted and understood. Games can be pretty badass!

• Neither. It's just a hobby. I think it's cool to have a hobby.

What Guys Said 7

• Who gives a fck? You do you bro.. I still play some occasional world of warcraft on stream. Zero fcks given.

• I've thought about streaming Halo, actually I've tried it a couple times, but every time I do there's some sort of glitch where I throw a grenade but two of them come out rather than one! So I stopped lol

• 0|1
    • Lol is that from the dota music video?

• Lol yeah seriously. Can agree with that

• I'm definitely closer and more inspired by the first pic lol

• Nah man i come home from work play an hour of two of games, at the momment its usally halo 5, world of warcraft, and now overwatch. then head out to kick boxing... those 2 hours are the highlight of my day lol

• Haha YEEAH man! Halo 5 is my jam! I just made a video the other day of some of my gameplay actually.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BF2QgmaQf0H/

It's been quite a while since Halo has been this fun though, to the point where I look forward to getting home just so I can play! Really enjoy this new one...

• Mannnn let me join team bacon
      Lol jk im prob not good enough haha

And yea i agree the most fun I've had since halo 3

• who cares, games are awesome. im a proud gamer.

• For sure man! I only personally think it's weird to be a gamer if you're weird about it, and if you're not weird about it there's nothing to worry about.

And as long as it doesn't negatively impact your life and what is important.

• exactly, you are absolutely right

• It's fashionable today to be a terrible "gamer" who puts out vapid shit online - think AngryJoe, DarkSydePhil, Twitch whores with their boobs hanging out, etc.

I'd argue that the fighting game community is the last vestige of what competitive video games should be, and even that's falling apart, with Capcom trying to commandeer SFV's tournaments.

• Do what makes you happy. Fuck the haters.

• Gamer's are 100% cool :D.