When does modeling become art?

This is a very open question, so if you have a related opinion please share.

I've been into photograph lately, especially model photography of attractive women. So, would Sports Illustrated: Swimsuit Edition, Victoria Secret, etcetera... photos be considered art; or is this just me like looking at attractive women?

Most Helpful Girl

• I'd say it depends on context. As a photographer, I notice the lighting and the set design and posing that goes into Victoria's Secret photographs. I often think the photographs are done well. If you take the photographs out of the context of catalogs or images on their website, I think they can be considered art. But when the photos are paired with captions, prices and headlines on a catalog spread or on a webpage, then the agenda becomes completely different. The photos are then used to advertise products, not to necessarily be appreciated or admired. You can do that too, but that's not the main objective.

Modeling can be art, definitely. I think it's just easier to define something as art that isn't serving a function like advertising, and is instead, aimed at making the viewer respond--as in appreciation, feeling emotion, or interpreting the piece.

• As I said in my question, I'm into model photography. When would this interest start to be interpreted as creepy? People are quick to label men as creeps, I'm not a strange guy and I'd rather not be lumped to get her with those who are.

• A lot of men are photographers for models, and I don't think it's creepy, as long as they're professional and their work is high quality. That being said, I think as long as you're into tasteful and quality model photography, that's ok. Low budget work will make it seem like you're just lusting after a hot body. Women can be touchy and yeah, label men as creeps, so be careful what you say about model photography. As in, be respectful, don't make trashy comments about the women in the photographs. Basically, when it comes up in conversation or whatever, show that you appreciate the art, versus just lusting after the hot/beautiful women. I think that's prolly why men get labeled as creeps sometimes. Because women think guys are just lusting after the photographs. Those are my thoughts.

What Girls Said 5

What Guys Said 6

• It's really subjective and up to personal interpretation. If one person sees it as art and another person sees it as softcore porn then both perspectives are equally valid. Its up to the viewer to decide.

Personally I kinda think models are just glorified strippers with more attractive faces. Nothing wrong with that, but I just see most of what they do as using sex to sell products and magazine. I enjoy the pictures but not for their artistic value.

Also It seems like how it is perceived depends on who takes the picture and how attractive the girl is.

Like its only art because the girl in the picture is attractive. If an average or below average looking girl took her clothes off and made the same sexually suggestive pose then not as many people would view it as artistic. They would be more likely to label it as trashy.

Also the photographer. I've seen some pictures where its just a hot girl topless and pushing her tits together in front of a white wall. People only consider it art because the guy taking the pictures is famous and the girl is hot. If I took a picture of an average looking girl holding her tits together standing in front of a white wall, nobody would see it as art.

• I am not sure if I think modelling is art or not but I consider "WOW" art:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2PcP8GktIY

• It's not an art or art.

• 0|0
  • I consider it an art
    But i also loosely consider martial arts and art too so maybe I don't know what im talking about lol

• Sports Illustrated: Swimsuit Edition and Victoria's Secret are not art. They are commercial pornopgraphy.