What do you think about gangsta rap?

What do you think about gangsta rap?

bump
i lovee gangsta rap

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• It was way better than today's rap it had meaning it talked about the real life struggle for blacks during those days and a little of these days. And if anyone feels offended by what i said i don't care because you aren't seeing the real picture about what's going on right now if you believe racism doesn't exist well i say you're blinded by the media

What Guys Said 18

• Love-hate relationship. I grew up with it being the choice of music, so I have a bond with it. A bond that I really don't want, anymore. But, I view it as a consequence of Civil Rights. Ultimately, it is blow back from all the inequalities from the past. We're only 65 years out of Civil Rights: a generation ago. But it's a virus in the poor community. Or a symptom of the virus.

People say "it's just music", but music can have a profound effect on you. It can make you happy; it can make you sad; it can make you angry; and, likewise, it can influence you to want to do things. It's not "just" music, but it reinforces existing influence.

Ultimately, it's a result of pervasive black poverty and feelings of inequality. Just compare 1950s black people with 2016 black people. Not all, I'm just saying there is a distinct change for the worse. Being "ghetto" became desirable after rap made it so. I really like rap. I grew up with it. But gangsta rap is really just a bad influence, promoting sexism, hatred of police, murder, stealing, etc.

Even in Tupac and Biggie's music, for every social stance or "negative realism" song, there's another 3 or 4 glorifying murder and hustling. I really think that blew up thug culture. Rather than having the effect of dissuading people from being thuggish, it made them *want* to be a thug.

Of course, there are people who can listen to it pretty much completely separated from that influence, but there are a lot of people who can't.

It needs to die before we can progress to a better society. Separating "gangsta" rap from just "rap". It's like having a music genre called "rape rap", then saying "Oh, no, rape rap isn't bad. It's just music." Hell, there are quite a few instances of rape being glorified in gangsta rap.

But. It has power in it. And I think that's why a lot of people are attracted to it.

• I believe it has been very damaging especially to the black community. In a country where freedom has been given very liberally, it takes responsible people to turn away from this stuff so there is no demand for it so it goes away. That's why the founders said Americans must be a moral people or freedom does not work. It's one contributor to why our country is falling apart and will eventually fall and bring the rest of the world with us. I'm glad I know where my heart belongs or I would be afraid.

• lol rlly

from what i understand, gangsta rap was a reflection of their reality. that's what music is for, to express how u feel and that's exactly what rap does. same with rock n roll and jazz, both were considered devil music in their times by the close minded. the black American community wasn't damaged by a lucrative genre of music about their experience.

• Oh I definitely agree that because some people live out the lyrics of gangster rap, especially kids, teen and very young adults that tend to embody their entire subculture of self through their music.

I'm a fan of gangster rap, but I have always known and understood that it is for entertainment and not to live out the lyrics. I'm a law abiding, educated, productive citizen yet listen to gangster rap all the time. :-P

• @Prof_Don I have no problem with anyone making or listening to it, it's your right. I do think it does more harm than good but I'd never say it should be banned. Sometimes there's costs to being free.

• Fuck Yeahhhh! Cruisin down the west end of London, windows of mah mercedes rolled down, weed blazin an shit, blasting out some of dis...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NyUbSFQYdQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADIyIlO-_Ug
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7yPhExdj3E

• yess :D love all three

• Ya, and you can actually understand the lyrics OG rap is the best!

50cent is like..."hnnghn nngh hgnnn hhgnngh nnghnnhngng go shorty its yo birthday, we gon party like its yo birthday hnng hngggn hnngg"

• i get 50cent in other songs but in da club sounds muffled :D

• I love gangxta rap, BUT I understand one very important aspect of gangxta rap:

It is either storytelling from what said artists have seen or been through, or entertaining satire.

Too many people take the lyrics too literally and either get themselves in trouble by embodying the thug lifestyle, or make themselves sound idiotic by saying harsh insensitive things critiquing these artists (ex. "they are nothing but no-good thugs") when the music is fantasy... like EVERY story that has to be told has to be absolutely non-fiction! :-D

So stupid. Enjoy the music, and continue on with your everyday life. Don't become a criminal over this music, it's just entertainment so treat is as such!

• In fact i'm listening to DMX right now as I typed this response! 8-)

• hahah im listening to dr dre feat snoop dogg it is fantasy, surely doesn't make me any less anti-gun but it feels good to listen to.

• It's all in fun, I'm an educated and productive member of society with a squeaky clean legal record... that listens to all types of hip hop ALL the time! :)

• I'm actually a fan of gangsta rap. It's my favorite genre to listen to when I work out. Lol.

However, it fell off hard. It's not what it was like it was in the 90's to mid 2000's. Artists like 50 Cent/G-Unit, Eminem, DMX and others are no longer relevant because their genre is no longer relevant.

• Garbage

• I'm more into old school, lyricism and political rap but I definitely appreciate gangster rap.

But obviously rap is given a bad name, people fear what they don't understand.
    And a lot of people don't understand rap music. People take it too literally as usually don't get the underlying message.

• It's disgusting

• rlly? u find it *disgusting*?

• I don't know why I said "disgusting". I think my mind was distracted. I just think it sucks. It's pure garbage.

• Unfortunately too many people take hip hop too seriously and try to live out the lyrics in real life. It is those people who embody that criminal gangster lifestyle that ruin the genre.

Typical gangster rap is satire, but the image is sold TOO well in gangster rap, that people think it is real and copy it.

But people can watch movies about vampires and zombies with biting and cannibalizing ppl!

• What do you think? Lmao

• used to dislike it but really felt it after i discovered NWA a few years ago and read all about them.

• Lol yeah me two. Biggie and Tupac I love. As you can tell my profile pic is a quote from Tupac. People don't know this but those two men were very smart. Biggie could of been a doctor had he grown up in a better place.

• yeah they do seem smart, i could never write rap which is why i appreciate it so much

• It's something I need to listen to more often 😂

• Not my kinda style but I can appreciate it

• It sounds like a dog fight.

• It is unfortunately a black thing and representative of a low socioeconomic culture

• all the best music starts from the bottom ;) and very often within the black American community. jazz is a great example.

• Some music starts at the bottom. I don't believe that praising this genre, a deviant offshoot of hip-hop is a worthwhile addition to society. A generalization such as, "all the best music" holds no water. I highly doubt that the three B's were thugs. Praising the Mexican drug cartels does not equate to Motown

• deviant offshoot of hiphop? nwa, biggie, tupac... they're the originals for this genre and they're some of my favorite musicians period.

• i like it, too bad they are all dead

• not all. dr dre, ice cube, snoop dogg, nas etc are all still alive although a lot of the big names are gone.

• its not as good as it was though, it ended when eazy e, pac and biggie died

• Its funny.

• I like Tupac a lot, some if biggies song are decent. Love wutang clan

• neither are gangsta rap..

What Girls Said 9