Whats the scariest film you have ever seen?

I recently watched the film "The Witch" with a friend, and I loved it because for the first time in years, I was genuinely terrified. I haven't seen many films thats done that to me, and all of a sudden I have just been binge watching anything I can find that I haven't watched on top 10 lists.

The biggest problems are, most lists are full of very gory films. I don't mind films that are all slashing, but I prefer a film that is heavy on the suspense. Its hard to find any lists that don't have the top few films being "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" or "The Cabin in the Woods" or "The Evil Dead". I love these three films but they Are not very scary to me because there is just too much chasing and hacking...

To give you a flavor of the type of films I am looking for, here is a short list of other scary films I like:
Ju-on
The conjuring (though it was a little too full of cheesy jump scenes)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
The Village
Dark Water
Candy Man

Most Helpful Guy

• Well my favorites are "the thing" from the 80s, "prince of Darkness" and "In the mouth of madness" all of them very lovecraftian ie they are not horror in that you fear for your life but rather a nihilistic horror, the insignificants of man and the inevitability of our demise (all three where done by John Carpenter, reffered to them as his apocolypse trilogy). Also john carpenters cigarette burns is really good (in short its about a guy looking for a film, the film was shown once at a festival, every one who saw it killed each other and themselves in horrible ways. So he is trying to find it for a client yet the closer he gets the more frequently he has hallucinations all inside a cigarette burn) Those are very much phycological horrors though so slow builds but great pay off if you enjoy those types of horror movies. Also the first hellraiser and wishmaster movies where good (its interesting to see an all powerful monster who is bound by rules because then the protaganist can't out run or fight them but rather has to outsmart them.). Jacobs ladder is also a good phscological one and serpent in the rainbow is good as well (though I don't know if I would term it horror persay, more like a thriller (based off of true events). I also have heard Dario arento's movies are really scary/good because they have a very surreal nightmarish feel to them (I haven't watched any myself but its on my list of things to do). Those would be my suggestions. Personally I always like the lovecraftian horror the most, gore is just gore its not scary and I hate jump scares because their just cheap. With lovecraftian and psycological horror its something that lingeres thats what makes it good. Als the first season of masters of horror was really good (its where cigarette burns is from) so that might also be worth checking out.

Most Helpful Girl

• John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness definitely creeped me out. The theology presented in the movie is horrifying. There is no God, just an anti-God bringing darkness instead of light.

"You will not be saved by the holy ghost. You will not be saved by the god Plutonium. In fact, you will not be saved.''

• Sounds quite dark, I will have to watch it :)

• Now THAT was a good flick. I always like John Carpenter movies... there's always some twist at the ending.

• Good call. One of my favorites. If you like that you would probably like In the mouth of madness as well.

What Guys Said 19

• Kind of recent, paranormal activity, but really anything with ghosts will have me peeing my pants.
    When I was a kid (before I started school) I watched an unsolved mystery show and it was about ghosts, I couldn't sleep for days and I was afraid to be in the house by myself. So, yea, ghosts scare the sh_t out of me.

• Burnt offerings
    Dolly Dearest
    Serpent and the rainbow
    Jacob's ladder
    The Curse
    Martyrs
    Pieces
    Hellraiser
    Pet semetary
    A nightmare on elm street
    Sleepaway camp
    The Shining
    The conjuring
    Sinister 1and 2
    ... And if you like the village, Watch Wayward pines

• The film Birds was the first one I even saw in 3D... and those bats rushing towards you, coming out of the screen is quite scary as a first 3D experience :o

• I love Birds, it will always have a special place in my heart!!! <3

• Go see it in 3D if you can find a place where that's possible :D
      I'm not certain but I think it was in the Universal Studio's in Orlando. Just take the bus hahaha!

• 'Dawn of the Dead' 1978? You mentioned suspense and the film really has it. It sets up a very defeating and uneasy tone which is amazing.

• Possably my most favorite film of all time, I only didn't mentiond it because I could fill up all the remaining charictors with a list of zombie films.

• When I was a little kid, "Night Of The Living Dead" used to terrify me. I couldn't sleep for weeks after watching that :(

• One of my favouritst films ever! Only reason I didn't include it is because I like too many zombie films and they would take over every left chariter I had left ha ha

• Not sure if it's what you're looking for but Threads would have to be the scariest film I've seen. It's not a horror film but it's about life before and after a nuclear war in Sheffield. It starts off very mundane but it gets pretty horrific. I'm so glad I didn't see it in the 80s when it was made or I'd have been even more terrified. I wouldn't have slept again until the 90s!

• I don't know what "scary" even means anymore, is it jumpscares? or a lasting feeling even after the movie is finished? Perhaps the heavy tension that makes you only dare to peek through your fingers?

Personally (though I know many people doesn't like them..) I've found "found footage" to give the most "real" feeling.. specifically the ones called "V/H/S"

If it's cringe-worthy horror you want, look up "Grotesque" But do so at own responsibility.

• "The dark below" looks decent though, if you like the love-craftian genre.

• Exactly how I felt about paranormal activity and mama..

My own favourite horror (besides from the realness of found footage) are horror movies with children, or movies that just gives you a feeling of empathy/sadness (how could this be?)

I always read a short description about a movie before I watch them now. ^.^

You know.. there was this one movie about something that'd slain god, releasing/granting his powers to mankind, and how it.. "eroded"?( think that's a good word) their mind.. that one was pretty decent, but I forgot it's name.. ^.~

• I will have to watch those now, at first I was like... Megh this is going to be disapointing like REC but the more you talk about them mthey sound good.
      And I'm the same, I have to read up about a movie because I have waisted way too much time. Even then its hard to tell whats really good or not.
      I like films that arnt afraid to mention god in them, its fround apon these days becuse so many people hate god so much. It sounds very thoughtful though, and thats always a good thing.

• "The Exorcist" still freaks me out. "The conjuring" is not bad

• Unfortunatly, I found The Exorcist to be more comical then scary. Its a little poor for standing against the test of time in my oppinion.

• Not film, but Nip Tuck was scary as fuck because of the Carver. I had nightmares as a teenager.

• The shining is my favorite movie
    It makes me so uncomfortable
    Not scared but not able to relax

• When I was a kid "IT" and "Candyman" scared the hell outta me but I still thought they were cool af.

• not really one for scary movies but candy man was pretty good

• The witch DEFINITELY SHIT it's not scary at all

The scariest movie I've ever saw was malificent 😭😭😭😭😭

• I think it takes a sort of connoisseur to enjoy The Witch I think. I will admit it is a sort of difficult film to watch and unless it is something you are looking for then you probably wouldn't like it. Basically its too good for you so don't worry and keep enjoying films you think are good but are actually really crap! ^_^

• I was expecting to be disapointed, and I came out feeling like I had watched a masterpeice that left me feeling truly chilled. I have never met anyone that has said they where actualy looking for jump scares. I'm a very jumpy person and I will jump at anything so I always put films down for jump scares, I know I'm not actualy scared... its just my natural human reaction to jump.

• Ugh I hardly gets jumped lol the story of my life 😂

• Movies don't scare me, but the ones that have a lot of suspense are the "V/H/S" found footage series.

• Maybe the first Saw

• Insidious.

• iv seen a lot too hard to say

• A video of a wedding.

• Blair Witch Project.

• That film was a joke. I spent more time wondering when it was about to get good but was left utterly disapointed towards the end.

• Hard core are you? Try getting a copy of "Faces of Death" and let me know what you think?

• I have already seen FOD 1 + FOD 2.
      Both are on YT.

What Girls Said 12

• Probably Paranormal Activity because they leave it all to your imagination and it's all in your head while most other horror movies are just gross or predictable.

• eh it's not scary in comparison to others, but i still didn't like it. it's called 'Safe'.

• Insidious: Chapter 3... seeing that in theater was just asking for nightmares. But my sister & I went to see The Gallows in the middle of the week, so the theater was empty and we were the only two people there in the front row lol as soon as it ended we ran out

• *Salo because it was shown to me in grade school
    *Martyrs because I was high and felt everything that happened.
    *The Shining because its truly brilliant, has great pace + dark brooding weight

• I watched this one movie a while back and it scared the shit out of me (sorry I forgot what it was called) I still have nightmares of it till this day.

• The Rite with Antony Hopkins

• Any of the Final Destination movies, Amityville Horror, Orphan..
    I dont find many horror films scary just interesting and entertaining.

• Those I find to be too gory to be scairy. I find them to be almost funny and I have to bite my tong so I dont ruin it for everyone by makeing silly jokes. I'm much the same as I don't find many horror films scary, they have to be reserved, misterious, quiet, tense... Just hold you at the edge of your seat waiting to see whats happening next. All too often these films are too predictable. You know whos going to die before they do, you know whos going to live... and you know that they can never touch a kid or an animal because it will upset people. But I like to be disturbed, as I dont feel scared unles I am.

• I saw the reaction videos on youtube, and I was like... this can't be that bad can it? Then I watched it and almost puked. But the more I watched it the funnyer it got ha ha.

• Lol like the shock value declines 😂

• Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed

• I saw The Witch last weekend. I didn't think it was that scary. Now The Village... that was scary.

• I want to know how you can be scared by the Village but not The Witch? I meen, The Witch was everything I wanted from The Village and more. The Witch had everything that ticks my box and more. For me, there is nothing scaryer then 1. Loosing a child and 2. The Devil

• Sis... you ask for opinions. Don't get all defensive. It's a movie... that's all.

• I'm sorry, I enjoy a good debate about films xD I'm a total movie critic and I love looking at films in a different way to most people

• The Cabin in the Woods didn't nessisarily scare me but it was so creepy to the point it made me uncomfortable.

• It wasn't scary because I thought it was a dark comerdy film. I litrely spent most of that film laughing my head off xD

• Insidious bothers me and I found Sinister really creepy

• I did quite like both of those, but I found them to be too tame. They are basicly horror films for young teens. If those films had balls then they would be contenders.

• I didn't find Sinister scary, just creepy and some of the scenes just made me feel uncomfortable. For some reason the look of the demon in Insidious scares me, but that's about it.

• Not exactly "scary" but preeeetty stressful lol. It was Final Destination 5.

• that film just frustrated me lel

• @jamesdegod IKR

• Yeah, I enjoyed my fair shair of Final Destinations but I am pretty sick of just watching films that sell just because a bunch of anoying teens get cut up in totaly stupid ways.