Are horoscopes real?

Sometimes my horoscope is accurate and the prediction comes true and sometimes it doesn't.

Most Helpful Guy

• There's a science behind this "cold reading" kind of stuff -- it boils down to being vague enough to seem accurate with a wide range of people, while simultaneously making them convinced that it's specifically targeted to them.

It's all trickery -- but entertaining tricky at times since it teaches us a bit about human nature. We also tend to be conditioned to pay attention to hits while ignoring misses.

Most Helpful Girl

• The reason that sometimes it "matches" your day is because the "predictions" can be so vague on purpose to try to cover as many people as possible (like Virgo, for instance, is like August 22-Sept21 I believe- that's a lot of birthdays and Virgos to cover).
    Also, confirmation bias. You're going to purposely try to match the situation with the vague description.

Your horoscope says "you will have good fortune today". And then your direct deposit hits your bank account or it's payday, and you think the "prediction" was correct when really you were scheduled to get paid regardless.

And sometimes the vague predictions are wrong that's why you think it didn't come true.

What Guys Said 9

• NO, they're one size fits all.
    BUT remember:
    http://oi68.tinypic.com/17q1k0.jpg

• I don't believe in them, just see them as a form of entertainment.

• They're not. I can't believe in stuff like horoscopes and astrology.

• No its all a big con to make money from vulnerable people.

• Well I'm a cancer lol. My personality does not match up with cancer at all.

• Nope, they are just made up for amusement.

• No.

Filler

• Yes.

• Nope, thanks for your time.

What Girls Said 4

• They use general descriptions that apply to most people, so you see it and think it's real.

• I'm pretty sure it's B. S. but it can be entertaining. I'm gemini, and my horoscope fits me in many ways but in other ways it doesn't.

• I think there can be coincidences with a sig, but, in theory, I don't think horoscopes are real

• Nope