Is it too late to start dance?

I'm 14 and I've always loved dancing even though I suck at it so hard and I've been considering dance classes. It's just that I'm extremely shy and I know they'll be people that have started way before me and would be so much better at it. I'm just really nervous. Since I'm starting so late I'm just not sure I could even get good at it.

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• Actually, 14 isn't late at all. One of my all time favorite dancers didn't start officially dancing until he was 18. He is now a professional dancer and choreographer! As for myself, while I did begin taking lessons at a young age, I had to quit due to injury. So between ages 16 and 21, I was almost completely inactive! I got back into it a year ago, and I had some of the same concerns that you are having. Am I too old? Is it worth it to start so late? The truth of the matter is that you are never too old to start dancing. Many dance studios have beginner classes for young adults, so it's not like you will be dancing with the super young children, or thrown in with the more advanced girls and magically expected to perform. Experienced instructors will be able to guide you in the right direction and make you feel more comfortable.

Flexibility will be an issue initially, as usually after age 13, the body becomes less flexible; all that means is that you will have to work a little harder to gain and maintain it. But remember, it's nothing you can't overcome, and everyone will be in the same boat! It's all about having fun, and challenging yourself to improve upon who you were yesterday. We don't bully in dance. So have fun, and don't worry!

My only other piece of advice is to find a studio that has something called sprung flooring. Basically, it is a type of floor that absorbs most of the shock from jumping and such. Landing on concrete floors is very taxing on the body and was my undoing! So just do some research, to ensure you find a studio owner who has his/her students' best interest in mind. Good luck... or rather... break a leg! :)

What Guys Said 1

• You're just a kid so you got plenty of time. go for it.

What Girls Said 2

• It's never to late to learn

• It's not too late. Plus everybody is a beginner at some point.