Is it logical to conclude that, if mermaids exist, they'd be very pale, almost blueish in color?

• Yeah... probably.
  • Nah... they'd be some crazy color, nothing remotely like humans.

Most Helpful Guy

• They'd be super pale maybe even translucent depending on the depths that they live at. The colder the environment they lived in the more blubber they would have.

They would be the opposite of sexy when looked at with human beauty standards lol

Most Helpful Girl

• How do you think mermaids evolved? I think it's easier to go with the assumption that they share the common ancestor of humans and monkeys and so on, and are Great Apes like us, and just so happened to develop the tail because they live underwater. As opposed to: they are fish that somehow evolved human hands and tiddies and hair and whatever. And we already have a lot of mammals that live their whole or the majority of their lives in the water (whales, manatees, seals, etc.), and no fish that live on land.

I don't know very much at all about evolution but a few things stick out to me:

1. As I understand it humans get our skin tone almost exclusively from melanin, and this is true for many animals too. How much that affects mammal mermaids would, I guess, depend on where you want to imagine they split off from humans in the line of evolution.

www.iupui.edu/.../iskull.gif

Maybe they're what happened to those mysterious dead ends, like the Neandrathal or the Paranthropus boisei. Wouldn't that be interesting?

humanorigins.si.edu/.../...head_CC_3qtr1_lt_sq.jpg

What would she look like after 10 million years underwater?

2. How much time do they spend in the deep ocean vs. how much time do they spend on land? It seems they spend a lot of time above sea, like seals and sea lions do, because of how much they interact with sailors. In folklore of the British Isles mermaids warn sailors of bad weather, and appear to doomed sailors as an omen. One was even baptised! A mermaid named Lí Ban. There are stories of mermaids swinning up rivers and in lakes, and one even visited a human village. So it may make sense that they could have darker skin like seals.

http://kingofwallpapers.com/seal/seal-004.jpg

3. Another interesting clue: in Chinese folklore (apparently anyway - the source is some non-Chinese 19th century book - take it however you will) there is a story about a man who marries a mermaid. She is described as looking exactly human, except that her body is covered with fine hair. A little like some of those pre-human species that went extinct, huh?

So I guess my conclusion is that they coud have a range of skin tones, like humans and like seals and sea lions, in that all our species range from pitch-black through the browns (and in the case of the marine mammals, greys) to almost colourless white. Perhaps they are covered in fine hair, too. Like...

globe-views.com/dcim/dreams/seal/seal-02.jpg

What Guys Said 13

• I thought they would have a greenish tinge

• Perhaps their face/stomach, but their back would need to be much darker or they'd be sharkbait.

• They would probably be two different colours, pale at the pectoral aspect, most likely bluish grey at the dorsal aspect.

• Why? Because coldness of the water affecting blood flow turning it pale?

Well, if we really want to go deep into technicalities.
    Our bodies aren't really designed to hang around in water for too long.
    They would need different skin, different blood circulation to deal with the low temperatures of the water, probably even different anatomy to better withstand water pressure.
    Human torso and hair also aren't very hydrodynamic in general so mermaids would either be really crappy swimmers (compared to other aquatic lifeforms) or have to have body structure with lower water resistance that produces less drag.
    Humans also have no way to control their buoyancy which would be a real problem as far as energy and exhaustion are concerned.

So logically, it is safe to conclude mermaids would either look like humans and be super miserable, or look nothing like humans to actually not fail at living in the water.

• They would be like octopus changing colors depends on background.
    The picture seem to be a ghost and get sick.

• There was a mocumentary on animal planet or some place done on mermaids.

• Yeah definitely

• They're in the water mostly so their skin wouldn't be so appealing.

• not necesserily

• I'm no biologist, but i think it depends on their real size

• Possibly.

• I guess. Nothing else worth pondering?

• I dunno. what does a manatee that never comes up for air look like.

What Girls Said 10

• Well considering the colours of fish, they could be any colour. The most common colours though are more silvery, and greenish colours, or well anything that works as a comouflage in the water.
    Maybe mermaids may be more colourful if they are coral reef mermaids? Ahaha, just a thought :P
    But they would definitely not look like Ariel though. For sure.

• I highly doubt they'd look anything like humans, they would need to have gills and their hands would look more like those of frogs. Quite likely they'd also have scales instead of human skin, which then could have any color but I'm going with a brown-ish grey because that seems to be the most common color of scales :p

• They'd probably be grey and blubbery. They would not be the sexy water maidens we picture them to be.

• They supposedly live deep down in oceans, they don't get much sunlight, which would result them to be blue-ish/grey-ish.

• I would think so considering they're probably in the deepest parts of the ocean we haven't explored yet if they did exist.

• They would be whatever colour is easiest to camouflage underwater.

• They'd look like Gollum, all pasty and wet.

• Depends, some species of fish are very colorful.

• Yeah probably but then again there are some very bright fish.

• Well if mermaids are half human and half fish then they should look like us a little. I doubt they would look like Ariel though, they'd probably be pretty ugly.