Would you accept 100,000$ to never use Virtual Reality for the rest of your life?

Most of you probably haven't even tried VR yet, but in some years it will be everywhere and it'll be amazing. I've tried the Vive that just came out and it's incredible, think in 5 years how good it will be.. Would you accept 100,000$ to miss out on it? What about 1 million?

• Yeah I would take the 100,000$
  • No, but I would if it was 1 million
  • No I only would if it was more than 1 million
  • No, I wouldn't miss out on it for any price

Most Helpful Girl

• I would consider for a million but I've wanted VR ever since I was a kid. It'd be a hard decision.

Most Helpful Guy

• No I wouldn't. I can't predict the future with certainty, and there is a possibility that VR will become big in not only video games but also other outlets of life (like teaching, businesses, etc.). In 30 years, from 1980 to 2010, the growth of technology has been crazy. I plan on being around for at least 30 more years, so 2040 may have lots for the VR system. 100,000 wouldn't be worth it.

That being said, I'd go with a $1,000,000. That's a lot of money. I'd invest it immediately, and have plenty of money for the future (gaining interest on it). I'll just stick with my old fashioned computers from the 2010s at that point and be the stereotypical old guy like "I don't need your young geezer technology!"

• Yeah technology growth is exponential, so it won't take nearly that long. I think in 5 years nearly everyone will own a VR device, and in 10 years it will probably be everywhere.
      Yeah 1 million is a lot of money, but the first thing I'd want to do if I won a million would be to buy the Vive but I wouldn't be able to :'(

• @redeyemindtricks I've had relatives on my father's side that were 6'+ and lived to be 90 or 100. (Most of the ones that I know of that died early happened because they either smoked a lot or drank a lot.)

My grandpa on my mother's side actually had a heart attack when he was 30 (plus another some years later) so he assumed he was going to die and such early. From that, he prepared his life like that... Only to die mid-high 80s.

From that, I figure I'll prepare for a long life (yet still enjoying life in the moment as best as I can). I'd rather have money I didn't spend before I died than suffer my last years of life with regrets that I didn't save enough. Then I can leave any extra I have to the next generation (assuming I ever have kids). That's at least my mindset and what makes sense to me personally.

I don't wanna be the 70 year old person working as a walmart greeter grumpily, all because I assumed I'd be dead by then lol

• Yeah -- those are averages. There's tons of variation around the average.

You have a good outlook in general. (:

What Girls Said 9

• That's an easy decision for me. I would absolutely accept that amount of money in exchange for never experiencing virtual reality. It's not something I need.

• You don't "need" much apart from food, water, oxygen etc. But experiences are the most important thing in life

• I'm sure you will sometime

• I don't see why I would, but again, who knows.

• I mean, considering it would be really helpful now (school) and later (school)-and virtual reality will never be life or death, yes. I'd take the money.

• Yes. I'm sure it would be fun to try, but I am also getting too old for that kind of thing. So I can handle that.

• yes. id rather use 100k to make my realty more awesome than playing make believe:)

• Show me the money

• Instantly

• what is that?

• What's money over experiences.

• Exaxtly. The great thing about money is that it can let you have experiences that you couldn't afford otherwise, but if it's stopping you having great experiences it's probably not worth it

• What's it?

• Where you enter a virtual world using technology.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYfNzhLXYGc

• If it feels as real then is real life

• I still prefer the money over this things. I would be able to go in America like this and for real :)

What Guys Said 22

• Today the first choice has the most votes. Computer processing power is finally getting to the point where I agree with the Asker as one day soon it will be as common as cell phones are today.

• Hypothetically?

C, because of the whole thing with taxes, $100,000 would quickly be reduced to much less than the original amount of $100,000 and because I think it's much more easier to secure a retirement that a larger sum.
    The whole point of having a really large sum of money to me is to secure a retirement fund. I mean didn't somebody mentioned that Social Security and Retirement benefits are going to eventually become depleted or something? I'd be a complete idiot and fool to not save a big sum of money such as 1 million bucks or more, which should be enough to last out those last 20 or 30 years depending on when I retire, and how careful and frugal I am with the decisions I make on how I spend or use that kind of money.

I'd probably miss out on the virtual reality video games, but then again I didn't really find myself really into them in the first place.

• I don't think money will be an issue anymore by the time you retire anyway, so you shouldn't worry about it too much

• Lols at the people who don't realize this will be as big as cell phones in 15 years.

• never used it. got through 34 years without it so i think i'd be fine without it

• I voted D because right now it's kind of meh, they have some cool shit, I might get it in a few years after price drops, less eye killing resolutions. Popular games actually using it. Some of the running platforms are cool, but if they take it past visual it could get pretty damn cool.

• It is pretty easy to prohibit yourself from having something that you're not accustomed to yet. Outside of a few tests, I haven't used VR yet so I have nothing to miss.

• Yeah but in some years when everyone's using it you might feel left out

• I already know how it is to be left out so nothing new there.

• I'd need way more than a million.

• No I wouldn't accept that.

• Money will be obsolete by 2030. I would like to experience VR at least once.

• "Money will be obsolete by 2030" ... uhhh what?

• But people are greedy bastards, money is the only thing holding back their greed. Though maybe having as much as they want will stop the greed

• It will stop the greed. Humans will realize greed is useless when there's abundance. That's when innovators and inventors can finally unlock their full potential.

Currently, the only sentient beings standing in our way are the elite and their masters.

Once they are removed from power, we can finally grasp the future humanity was always meant to have.

Humans may seem retarded at the moment, but they are actually quite brilliant, just misguided.

• I have a feeling VR will be a big deal in the future.

• Yeah I think monitors will probably become a thing of the past, everyone will use their computers with VR

• That's a lot of money, so it's worth it

• I've never used it anyways.

• Yeah not yet, but it's only just starting really, with the occulus last year and now the Vive that was released a few months ago. The occulus wasn't very good cause you're just sitting at a pc. But with the vive you really feel like you're there. It costs 2000-3000 euros for the vive cause you have to buy a fast enough pc for it as well, but in some years they should get cheaper and better

• like i said. dont want to move when playing video games. id rather just get friends and go to lazer tag or go ride a bike.

• Well I'm sure people said that about video games when they were new, why sit at a machine playing a video game when I can play football or chess in the real world. Anyway it's your loss ^^

• Let's tackle the real question, how will porn look in 5 years in VR?

• Like you are actually in a room where people are having sex next to you

• it has a sensor that detects movements, anyway it's meant for gamers. Most of the time they sit down. I lack knowledge in things I can never afford. Only reason I know about the Oculus is because one of my friends was checking it out.

• Yeah it's way too expensive, I was lucky I got to try it for free so soon after it being released

• I'll take the 100000k because I like sunlight.

• I'll take the money.

• I said more than 1 million simply to negotiate for more money lol.

• I have no interest.

• I guess that's what people said about computer before they took off :P

• True. Maybe I'll change.

• yes, that technology is not on point so i dont mind. i can make good use of 100K

• What do you mean not on point?

• thats true but by then i will have maybe millions if i invest my 100K well enough.

• Doubtful but even still, you'd be missing out on all the fun for money

• I'd take 20$

• You obviously have no idea how amazing it is. You can actually feel like you're in another world, like actually be inside the video games

• That does sound cool. But I could use an extra 20$ right now

• xD Talk about sacrificing the future for the moment :P

• LOL. You do realize that VR was a thing already. And it failed then. It will fail again.

• They didn't have technology to make it good back then. Now they can make it realistic enough to actually feel like you're there

• Think GTA. And in first person games, the whole point is multiple types of transport. I just don't see it picking up.

• Games like GTA could be amazing in VR. I don't see the different types of transport being a problem. And I've never seen a bicycle in GTA

• Hmm. Interesting question.

No I'd want a million at least, there is a bright future for this tech and I want to see where it goes!

• i don't play video games so i don't give a fuck about vr.

• I don't play video games either but it's a totally different thing. Being able to enter a virtual world and feel like you're actually there is amazing. And it's not only for games