Have you ever noticed people who like older music, tend to be less sociable, and people who like current stuff tend to be more sociable?

I hate to admit it, but I’m not the socialest person around. I like music from older decades (mostly 80s) personally. Still I have noticed people who enjoy similar or almost similar stuff with me, tend to be less social as well, whilst the more social people are more into current stuff.

Guess a reason why this is happening, is because it takes some time and effort to “dig through” older music, since it’s not brushed into your face unlike current stuff. And this time obviously, is taken from your social life.

I don’t regret it though, since I am pretty satisfied about the amount of music I’ve listened to so far.

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• Sorry, I don't agree with your statement or reasoning. I love older music, new music, all music and like to think I'm very social. it really doesn't take a lot of effort to experience old music. It's as easy as clicking a button on your phone.

• I don't mean the hits, but full albums (including unknown artists or just known only by their time).

Ask people your age, if they know who Aldo Nova, Autograph, Corey Hart, Dakota, Danger Danger, FM, Giant, Icon, Lionheart, Scandal, Sherrif, Strangeways (pick any of those) are.

Do you believe most will know who are they?

• Haha, you'll do a big favor to yourself indeed!

• Thanks for MHO💟

Most Helpful Guy

• i think social adeptness or frequency has more to do with personality than any sort of musical taste

i wouldn't really put much stock in any association of one's personality and their taste in music.

What Girls Said 6

• But the lack of social behavior due to musical taste could be for lots of reasons...
    -Modern music lacks substance.
    -There aren't many clubs that support anything other than mainstream current music.
    -The generalized opinion that it's old... technically (totally not intending to offend, I often forget things like this too) 80s music IS 30+ years old. Lol, when I'm rocking out to Another One Bites the Dust, I tend to forget it's 36 years old and that's why the "kids" think I'm weird 😊

• Oh yeah where I live almost nobody listens to the stuff I listen to.

And Another One Bites The Dust is known by some degree to young people. What about less known stuff like Monkey On Your Back by Aldo Nova or Eddie Goes Underground by Tony Carey? I go ecstatic when I listen to those tunes!

• I don't mind being stuck in time personally. I consider 80s my decade, even if I was born in 1991.

• Lol, you're young, of course you don't mind 😉 There's nothing wrong with liking a certain genre from a certain time period, until you end up like my father who sometimes forgets it's 2016, not the 70s. I like to keep up to date for two reasons... to feel a little relevant and because there aren't a lot of shows that come around with retro acts

• Makes sense to me. I also think that social people are more likely to share music with their friends. It's way more fun to share something new than something everyone has heard before.

• That's an interesting observation. I've noticed that people who are really social usually just listen to whatever's on the radio, and they don't appreciate older music. I'm really into music from the 70's and 80's and I'm not very extroverted. I love a deep conversation with someone interesting, but frequently hanging out with large groups of people or going to parties mentally drains me, haha.

• lol that's true, the more u go out the more current songs get stuck in ur head

• I see them all equal.

• Not necessarily. I like newer and older music but I tend to listen to the newer stuff more often because like you said, it's always brushed in your face and is more easily accessible. And even though I listen to newer stuff more often I'm pretty introverted.

But who knows, I could be in the minority.

What Guys Said 1

• Yup that's true