Do you think rap music and Hip Hop culture is childhish?

I am asking this because when I was a highschool student rap was so appealing to me, and i always dreamed about rap, but after the age of 17, rap was not that appealing anymore and sometimes i even think that most things about rap music, rappers and Hip Hop culture come off as so "childish" to me for the last 7 years. And im now 25. I wouldn't want to be a rapper for the rest of my life.

And according to my observations mostly kids and teenagers love this culture and music in general in the World. What do you think?

• yes, it is childish
  • no, not at all

Most Helpful Girl

• No it's not, it's only childish if the lyrics are childish and simplistic, or you just doing it for fun, i wouldn't say a rapper like NAS is childish he is super intelligent with lyrics that are conscious and articulate, he is a recording artist, record producer, actor and entrepreneur... nothing childish about him.

• I like 2pac, eminem, nas, dr. dre, vinnie paz etc. by the way. But even though I liked rap most of my life, I can say that 99% of rappers in the whole world suck and they are not talented. What are your favorite nas songs?

• Well NAS for me is a what i call a REAL rapper, Makaveli was too they to me are the ones to look up to, because what they rap/rapped about was deep and meaningful not childish or egotistical, they don't suck in anyway shape or form, i like Daughters, I Can, and Represent, but to name a few of NAS songs there are so many others i like.

Most Helpful Guy

• Nowadays yeah, cause it's just about sex, money, fun, and killing, there's no talking about real issues, except for very few artists.
    Look at the 90's rap, listen to 2Pac lyrics and tell me if that's childish.

Rap culture has changed for worse.

• I like 2pac, eminem, nas, dr. dre, vinnie paz etc. by the way. But even though I liked rap most of my life, I can say that 99% of rappers in the whole world suck and they are not talented. And new generation rap is totally faggot.

• It's difficult to right meaningful rap lyrics, only a few can do that. But I agree, the new generation of rap is totally faggot, it's just stupid lyrics, the same thing over and over again. The only thing that keeps Rap alive is the beats, cause if you take the beat away, it's just a stupid dude talking about stupid shit.
      Most people nowadays just listen for the beat, that's why the lyrics suck.

What Girls Said 16

• It can be a phase for some people, but not for others. It's not childish, but it's also not necessarily conducive to a typical responsible family life- at least, not at the extreme. It depends a lot on exactly how you treat it.

• Nope, I don't think so.

• It really depends on the rapper/artist. I've listened and love some pretty inspirational deep shit. Not all rap is about getting bitches, money, and doing drugs. To anyone who still isn't convinced. Listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUlsTuG39O0

I relate to this one for obvious reasons lmao. Rap can be a very good outlet, it's amazing.

• There are some that have some really good meanings to them.

• Lol no.

• I think it's an in between. There is sophisticated rap out there however the topics that the majority of rap songs touch on can be a bit shallow like pop songs as well however there is a lot of sophisticated rap out (immortal technique). The difference is your perspective of the world has altered and so did your environment. I tend to have diverse friend groups with a variety of tastes and what I've found is that the older people get the more calmer they get. You want to sit at home with a bunch of friends have a glass of wine and going swimming with some alternative or be at a kickback with a bunch of friends getting wasted with a bunch of rap playing in the background. It's now about it being childish but rather the mood it fits, the environment your surround yourself, and the perspective you have on the world around you :)

• Yeah if you listen to the lyrics of black rappers it usually includes profuse amounts of profanity and obscenity, sex or women or getting money. It teaches bad morals.

• not at all

• nope ı dont think so

• Yeah its kindof a phase you go through some adult refer back to it to feel younger i think LOL

• I'm not a rap fan by all means, but I appreciate music and those that make it to tell their stories. I couldn't tell you the who's who or what's what nowadays of rap culture, but even knowing that, I wouldn't refer to rappers or rap as childish. As music of any genre grows and evolves, you'll always have a new set that do things differently because they are speaking to their generation and what appeals to that set.

Coming off of the turmoil of the 60s and 70s, rap was about exposing the hardships of life and what the greater part of America and beyond refused to see and continued to ignore. The story is still the same of course, but we're in this culture now of the online celeb, of quick money, of hyper-sexualization, of instant fame and gratification. A lot of new artists, many who haven't actually experienced the hard life of the previous generations, can only sing about what they know or want to be a part of. To me, that doesn't make them childish, it makes them a product of their time period like so many pop stars who sing about drinking Starbucks and chilling with their friends. It is what it is.

Even so, rap isn't just the young or the old or those that have been through hard times, it encompasses a whole entire spectrum of experiences as with any other genre. To say a certain type of music should be this one thing or is only about this one thing, is to pigeon hole it and exclude all the voices that together make an entire musical range that unite to tell their own life stories.

• I disagree with you completely on this one. I think it can appeal to all ages

• These options aren't fair. It can be bad, but it can also be good. There are a lot of rap songs that I enjoy listening to, but then there are also stupid ones where they call women bitches and say the N word every 5 seconds.

• no, it's not

• You can go through phases with it... I've actually gone back to rap a bit.

• Some of its childish and superficial and some is complex and thought provoking.

What Guys Said 20

• Who the f*** would say rap is childish? What you're listening to obviously isn't rap, because real rap is about life and feelings. Has very influential people with positive attitudes. Most rap today is fake and childish, underground is where it's at.

• hahahaha some 15 year old kid teaching me the rap lessons hahahaha you are a kid already, I was born when 2pac was 20 years old already.

• Nope its just music. Lyrics mean what you want them to mean.

2 pac changes for example isn't childish at all.

• Most modern rappers are incredibly retarded.
    Most rappers from the 90's are well put together, Nas, Biggie, Dre, Tupac, Eminem to name a few of the bigs. Lmao snoop can jump off a cliff for all i care, he's a dumbass and fits right in with rappers today.
    So in essence this is what the industry has come to so says Nas.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRVqVwGWocM

• Uh no, what exactly about rap childish to you?

• Most lyrics, graphity on the walls and most Hip Hop clothes.

• Give me an example of childish lyrics, who even does graffiti anymore that's so early 2000's, and I see nothing childish about urban/hip hop clothing. Remember mostly young adults set fashion trends so it's natural for minors to wanna follow them as long as it isn't too revealing.

• Not all is graffiti some is art expression

• I think if it's worded correctly and has passion a it ones true feelings that can relate to a more wide range of audiences I feel it's not childish if it's about selling drugs. Gangs , clashing and stuff the. That's quite childish as its all an act lol

• Depends.

Some rap is good, like Oddisee (https://www. youtube. com/watch? v=E2Snh2NZHhk) and Elijah Caine (https://soundcloud. com/theelijahcain/sets/random-thoughts-ii). Although these two are more Hip Hop.

The other side of rap (the bad side) is the anti-cop vitriol and hood/ghetto subculture that comes with it.

• Yeah, rapping about money, fame and wenches is totally childish.

• Personally I think anyone that is into this type of music is more likely to have issues with the law.

• Look there is good and bad hip hop and rap music just like anything else. Lots of rappers who don't just talk about selling drugs, being gangster and fuckin hoes. The real danger part is when impressionable people take these thoughts meant for entertainment and idolize it. Instead of just letting it be a momentary fantasy

• I've actually gone the other way. As a kid I was super against that stuff, nowadays I think it has its good sides. It's not all trash.

• I said no but if you wrote sometimes i would choose , nowadays many rappers do that shit because of desire being famous even though they aren't able enough , because there is such a thought in the rap world "voice no matter" thats why many kids (12 13) start , but there are really good rappers who reflect our emotions at their lyrcis.

• Some of the new stuff is bad but I think todays stand out artist are Kendrick Lamar, J. cole asap rocky and eminem

• Not childish, I would have used the words primitive and degenerate.

• It's a fake, degenerate culture aimed towards wannabes and shameless self-aggrandizers.
    And yes, Mostly by and for stupid people.

• Listen to J Cole's “Lost Ones" than tell me it's childish.

• same here, i used to love Rap but now only folk and rock

rappers only yell and they even don't know what are they talking about

• It's ridiculous for Whites. No one expects better from blacks.

• It's not something to take seriously. It just might sound good to your ear.

• yeah.. the hip hop type music offers nothing but black dudes and whiggers who have a very limited vocabulary.. it is pathetic

• I think it really depends who's rapping.

From going out and going to bars and clubs a few years back the most popular stuff i hear is mostly like this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NK2FqPNIT_U

Id just stop and shake my head.