Do you read to escape reality or to look for hope?

there's a terry goodkind quote "I often hear people say that they read to escape reality, but I believe that what they’re really doing is reading to find reason for hope, to find strength. While a bad book leaves readers with a sense of hopelessness and despair, a good novel, through stories of values realized, of wrongs righted, can bring to readers a connection to the wonder of life. A good novel shows how life can and ought to be lived. It not only entertains but energizes and uplifts readers.. "

If anyones seen game of thrones. Pleaze no spiolers. But you know there isn't a lot of hope to be found in game of thrones anyone whos watched the first episode knows. But its majorly popular and its fantastic. With books where good guys always win they get boring and you always know what will happen. But with books where bad things happen and the characters find a way to get through it isn't that what people want? I always like darker stuff way more but could it be just that I want to find hope and strength in that darkness?

Ishly concept spoiler...
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
But game of thrones is pretty much the same just in reverse. it becomes predictable just like those hopeful kinds. everyone knows something bad is going to happen in game of thrones. Instead of the good guys always winning its the bad guys will always win. So why does everyone watch it? What would make its ending good and which bad? It would be good if goodness wins and still good if baldness wins but it would feel less fulfilling right?
Everybody knows the world is full of chance and anarchy and its true that people die randomly but the genre is called fantasy its meant to be unrealistic. isn't a real escape from reality escaping that chaotic death and saddness?

• escape reality
  • for hope and strength
  • other

Most Helpful Girl

• It can be both, or just to learn, but when I read fantasy books it's mostly about escaping reality. I like living in a different world for a while. I want the people and situations in it to feel real for that world, though.

That's why Game of Thrones succeedes. At its core it's about the human condition, with a backdrop of fantasy and a medieval times style setting. The good guys don't always win, but neither do the bad guys always win, and even good intentions can have disastrous consequences. Stupidity can get you killed. Life's like that. Shit happens, and sometimes you can overcome it with the right motivation and methods, and sometimes there's nothing you can do. Sometimes you get lucky too. It's honest and authentic, even at its most horrible moments, and that's what draws people to it.

There are other books and shows that people watch to escape reality that never kill off main characters or inflict massive chaos, and some people are perfectly happy with that, but for me I tend to care less about what's happening with a character if I think their future's completely secure and set in stone, no matter what situation they're in. I'll still watch it if it's good, but the story loses some of its authenticity.

Most Helpful Guy

• Neither. Just for entertainment

What Girls Said 2

• Escape reality, if i was looking for hope i wouldn't read scifi novels with horrible things unfolding on people.

• I remember reading a book to escape from reality/current situation once. It worked but that was two years ago.

Now, I read mostly for knowledge.

What Guys Said 0