Help on a drawing I made?

So I felt the need to decorate my room a little with some art work, so last night I made this:
Help on a drawing I made?My question is... how bad does the guitar itself need color on it? Right now all I did was use a standard No. 2 pencil on it. My art supplies are limited and I don't have colored pencils either. I'd have to try a light thing of nupastel or marker if I went for it.

If you have any other comments/criticisms to make lemme know.
(And I know the lines aren't perfectly straight, but I had no ruler so cut me some slack :( )

Most Helpful Girl

• I love the background, that's fab. I think what it's needing is a clearer definition between the two, that edge of the guitar needs to be stronger. Not sure the guitar needs colour, I'd be tempted just to add some blue somewhere on it to the it to the background, the two are looking too separate at the moment. The strong blue shapes and the washy pencil... perhaps just some much darker outlines on the guitar would be ok.

Actually, I would make the strings dark blue. I'd draw them roughly over the guitar, a bit like this...(but obviously better, this is lame...)
    http://i68.tinypic.com/5k4so0.jpg

• Huh, I'll have to think about it. Problem is that I don't have colored pencils, so marker blue may look a bit odd. Hmm...

• Alright, I'll consider it for sure. Thank you!

Thanks for mho :)

Most Helpful Guy

• Personally I think until you get some colored pencils it's fine as is, of course I'm used to having unfinished art laying around because my type of art takes a long time to dry.

What Girls Said 15

• I think it looks good the way it is! You can see the wood texture of the guitar and the background is really cool. Adding color to the guitar I feel would take away from the background... the guitar stands out in its own right as a pencil drawing, and then the background is whatever you used for it... pastel? But both compliment each other well. And I like how you didn't just put the guitar in the center, but over to the side so the eye has to travel more.
    I went to a high school for art and we did critiques all the time so I'm sorry this is so long, lol
    Good job!

• It's not long at all. Thank you!

And for the background, I used the limited materials I had... So just a blue ball point pen and a couple markers. :)

• I think it's great the way it is. Nice job💟

• Dude that drawing is so nice you did a AMAZING job seriously. :-)
    Leave it the way it is just put it up already.

• Its really good :) if you were going to add anything try using the dark blue of the background on the darkest parts of the guitar. That way the two blend together better. If you do add any color to the guitar I suggest sticking to the colors used in the background, though the white stands out nicely anyway.
    Hope this was helpful :)

• I'm in a painting course and I can tell you what to do with it
    You just can find a 5b or 6b pencil on it
    Just to light up more some parts of it
    Its good though the other part but still needs to some fix
    Needs some more pressure when you draw it not just slightly

• The background is very nice. Forgot to say that
      I was focused only at the errors lol

• WOW this is amazing what I would do is instead of giving the guitar a new color get a black felt tip pen and out line the guitar to make it the focus point

• Good job, Randall.

• Looks awesome!

The guitar needs a darker wood color.

• I think it looks noice as is.

• Braw you are talented :3

• I think it looks good 👍

• looks pretty snazzy

• It looks so kewl

• It looks really nice! I wouldn't change anything about it 😊💯

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Guys Said 8

• Good job it looks good. I'd suggest using a brown sharpie on the guitar. They are really easy and cheep to get.

• It needs to be more brown OR make the blue to it's right stand out more. White and blue go together really well. But here it somehow doesn't.

• Could it be perhaps the fact the lighting has this weird yellow tinge to it?

• Yes, absolutely. That s something that stood out right away. I think you'd benefit from making the blue more bright.

• Hey, that's pretty good!

Personally, I think you risk messing it up if you put loads of colour on the guitar. Maybe just lightly colour it? Although it may be difficult to preserve the detail on the strings you've got going on there.

• Yeah that's my concern. I don't wanna mess it up but I'm willing to risk it if it really needs it

• Looks pretty good especially if you had limited supplies. Only thing I'd say is the guitar looks a little too wide but other than looks good.

• The washburn acoustic I was looking at was pretty wide, but I can't deny I might've gotten the proportions wrong a bit. Thanks for answering nevertheless :)

• Nevertheless it's pretty damn good

• The guitar needs some work, but the background looks pretty dope

• What could be improved upon? I may not be able to fix it for this drawing, but I may be able to work on it for future guitar drawings lol

• Mostly your curves and line consistency. Oddly enough, the wood texture is really good, which I find harder than drawing the actual guitar, which it looks like you struggled a bit with

• I think that the strings are crooked and kinda meh because I didn't have a ruler. My freehand lines aren't as good as I'd like em. However, do the inner circles (like the soundhole) look fine?

The guitar's edge was actually decent before, but I screwed it up when I failed to color in the lines. 😱 I can probably salvage that tho

• That is a freaking amazing drawing

• holy fuck son! you're good.

• yeaaaaa draw a big dick over it