On average how long does it take to edit a novel for plot holes, Characters, and story development?

I'm not talking about editing grammar and spelling. I'm just talking about editing the novel so that the story makes sense.

Also, how does one edit a novel that does not have the first part of the story outlined?

Most Helpful Guy

• Would depend on the word count. You will have to read it through once, then make note on the second read through, then disect it on a third reading. So at least an hour a chapter.

• I estimate that i will have 100,000 words once im done.

• Get in where you fit in

• Thanks for MHO

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends on how long the novel is, how much editing it needs, how skilled you are in editing, and how many hours per day you edit. On average, it should take about two months to a year.

• Im unemployed so i think it will take me less than a year

What Guys Said 2

• Time varies widely, depending on the initial quality of the writing.

Not sure I understand the second question, though...

• The middle to end of my story has an outline, but the first part of my story has no outline.

• Its too late to go back to the beginning of my story because if i do that i will have to edit it before I finish the story. I do not have an outline for the first part of the novel. I only wrote edit notes

• What is line by line editing?

• How long is the novel, and how good was the author? Proofreading and polishing can be very time consuming (I've done it many times)

• Im still writing it, its currently 98,491 words.

• Yep you are right. I currently have 220 pages.

• Im so tempted to do a shitload of time lapses and rush the ending but I think that after I edit the novel, it will be shorter because there is a lot of stuff i plan on deleting and adding

What Girls Said 0