To start or to not start my own card business?

I've been making personalized cards for i don't even know how long. Birthdays, Congratulations, Special Occasions, Condolences... it's something I love doing for another to make them feel special.
Various people have told me I should start my own... but I feel like if I do that the enjoyment will fade, and it'll become an agitation, more than a loved hobby. What do you think?

** I have my actual job, at a University. This would strictly be on the side, not a main source of income. :)

Most Helpful Guy

• i think you should. this may be a chance to meet new people, and more doors can be opened in the future. and of course, you can develop your style as well as times goes by. take this chance! :)

• Such encouraging words! :)
      I make my cards according to the reciever. So there are some that would you like, too :p

• I just sent you some stuff on insta :)

• i didn't received anything D: !

Most Helpful Girl

• These are beautiful! You're definitely talented :) I think you should give it a try! Especially since it's YOUR business, you can control what requests you do or don't accept and negotiate the timelines yourself. And if you do find that it's not really something you enjoy turning into a business, you can always stop whenever you want.

• Thank you!
      I don't know how Etsy works, but I was wondering something along those lines.
      This is true, I can control the outcome of it.. :)
      Thanks!

• Yea it's really easy actually that could totally work. My friend started doing little baking projects, like cutesy cupcakes for events and stuff, and she just promotes through Facebook, she has a page for her "business" and people contact her through that!

• Thanks for MH :) good luck! I'm sure these will be a huge hit.

What Guys Said 6

• I think you should definitely start a business, that card looks pretty dope.

My business teacher once said "If you want a successful business, take your hobby and turn it into a business"

• Thank ya :)
      Thats not a bad philosophy; my only concern is failure or hatred. But, I guess that is the chance to take haha.

• Take the chance you have nothing to lose. 😊

• 👍🏽😊

• Start it up

• if you need money then you should do it

• i dont.. againnnn its a side thing bc its fun. i have my real job lol

• ahan, then do it, if its fun to you then you should do it

• Don't start because Dr. Krieger rules that industry with an iron fist.

• I don't know who that is xD

• Art walks* not shoes lol

• Omfg, SHOWS. Jeezus xD

• Go for it , nothing should hold you back

• I don't know. Hallmark is big. Most likely will buy you out asap

• if they think im good enough to buy out, ill take it. its not like its my actual job.

• Haha. You're right it does. And done!

• 👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽

What Girls Said 4

• You could do it if you want, but I would try to partner it with another business. My brother, sister, and I do cards for our parents for everything. I'm going to continue it but I'm opening a bakery with it, so if someone buys a birthday cake, they can also buy one of the cards we created. If they don't sell, then it's not like I lose a business, I just won't be doing cards anymore.

But as a side job, I guess it's okay. Just factor in supplies and how often you think you'd be doing this and it shouldn't be too hard to do it on the side. How often to people ask you for the cards?

• Yeah nothing serious or anything, but what you guys are doing sounds like a lot of fun - but a lot of work too.

I get at least 3-4 requests like monthly so not too much, but since everything is hand drawn that's enough for me. And since everything is so personalized, usually either with something they like (like a fandom) or their name or color.. So it gets to be different for everyone

• Do it! Why? It's nothing better than making money doing something u love to do and being your own boss. I don't think the fun will get sucked out of it. Sure, not everyday is going to be peaches & cream but that's just life in general. You never know unless you try. Good luck with your business!

• it would def be a side business, as i still have my real job haha.
      but, i was thinking more along the lines of etsy-ish.
      Thank you! :)

• Well even so u never know.. it may start off as a side business & become so huge you have to quit ur job!

• haha that is true.. in that case ill weigh options and have a go at it :)

• You have a talent, but I don't think it'll be a good idea because of digitalized industry. People can also find cheap cards at local markets, so you'll have some heavy competitions. You can sell them as a hobby, but I wouldn't make it my primary source of income if I were you.

• Oh no, definitely not main source. I have my real job for that hahaha.
      But I just didn't want it to become something that I love doing, to something that I loathe because of what its turned into, you know? Just asking for experiences :)
      Thank you though - for the input!

• Definitely! If you enjoy making cards you should turn it into a business, who knows maybe it might be doing extremely well you wouldn't even need your University job again.