Horror movie recommendations?

No zombie movies, I don't much care for them

Most Helpful Girl

• Here are my all-time favourites:

Noroi (the Curse) - a mockumentary/found footage/paranormal investigator type film from Japan, executed perfectly with a really excellent plot and fantastic characters (rare for a horror film). One of the best films I've ever seen.

Kairo (Pulse) - a weiiird, like, horror film cum art film, or art film cum horror film - it's asks the question, what if when you die, nothing changes? It's just... this, forever? An extremely disturbing movie for its uncomfortable existential questions. Again, one of the best I've ever seen.

Alien - if you haven't seen it yet you need to see it now. It's well executed as a horror movie and as a sci-fi movie. It is also, more or less, one of the few successful 'hard sci-fi' movies, in the sense that it creates a realistic and imaginable future, but it places its focus squarely on class conflicts and modern misery rather than science; and also the best Hollywood monster ever, and every lesbians dream-girl Sigourney Weaver as Ripley in overalls ♥_♥

the Thing - another awesome film you should have seen. Like Alien this focuses more on the people than the monster, but the Thing uses the relationship between the people as the vehicle for its horror this time; it plays on paranoia, distrust, infiltration... A Mexican standoff dragged into a monster flick. This and Alien combine in an excellent way to create a chilling, agoraphobic atmosphere, both being set in a hostile, inescapable landscape (stranded in deep space, stranded in the middle of the antarctic)

the Fly - one of David Croenberg's masterpieces, it captures the horror of slowly descending into a horrible physical shape, a monster, with no hope of recovery (or more accurately, watching it happen to someone you love)

If I am gonna talk about Hollywood horror movies then I have to at least mention genre classics like the Exorcist, Rosemary's Baby, the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Carrie, the Wicker Man, Ringu/the Ring (both japanese and western versions), Blair Witch... but you've seen all those already, *right*?

Running out of space so let me mention a few others quickly

Tetsuo: the Iron Man - similar to the Fly but... better. Sorry David. Also a raw as fuck cyberpunk paranoid hellscape. (TW for rape, but its not that bad)
    Let the Right One In - really slow-burning paranormal horror + sweet childhood romance?
    Suspiria - haven't seen it yet but very avant-garde-y horror
    Perfect Blue - earth shattering. you gotta see it

• oh, you gotta see Eraserhead by David Lynch at least once in your life, too.

• I see why its unpopular :P you could say that about pretty much every film. Everything is a symbol.

Personally I agree with Susan Sontang here: static1.squarespace.com/.../...+Interpretation.pdf

that trying to interpret a work only weakens it. That there is nothing 'behind the images' that needs to be excavated. Eraserhead is much more disturbing, in my opinion, if you take it as a very literal story - a guy has a baby with a girl he isn't married to, it comes out as a monster, and a lot of weird shit happes. The weird, inexplainable things are, perhaps, an ordinary part of the world they inhabit.

• So I just heard of a movie on amazon prime,
      It supposed to be really good.
      I like horror movies, but I LOVE Adventure movies and I really like Westerns.
      There is a movie called Bone Tomahawk and its a horror/western with that whole adventure horror vibe going on

Most Helpful Guy

• You've come to the right guy :) then you've come to the horror movie fanatic.
    Desperation
    The Thing 1982 and 2011
    Texas Chainsaw 1-3 and the 2006 version
    Blair Witch project
    the house of the devil
    the howling
    maryter
    the wicker man
    the reeker and the seeker
    pumpkin head
    night mare on elm street
    in the mouth of madness
    house 1986 its more funny then scary lol but I still recommend that
    house on the haunted hill
    frality
    singns
    dawn of the dead both versions
    28 weeks later evil dead and zombie flesh eaters.

What Girls Said 29

• Conjuring 1 and 2, Insidious (only the first one), La cara oculta (more of a thriller, but still exceptional), The Others (psychological thriller/horror), 13 Ghosts, The House Of The Devil (more just interesting than scary in any way), Drag me to hell (hilarious + really interesting), Martyrs (2008., gore... maybe not for everyone).

Note: since I don't really find horror movies all that scary, I included some phsychological thrillers that were more interesting to me than pure horror genre movies. Hope that's okay.

• Are you into foreign movies?
    Last week my boyfriend and I watched a movie called "The Wailing." It's Korean.
    It may not be "horror" but it's a slight mystery/thriller I guess. The charm of the movie comes from the open ending, where you're not really sure who is to blame for the things happening to the village. You can read a whole bunch of fan theories after, so that part is fun!
    Anyway we are scardey cats so we had trouble sleeping for a day or two, but if you're someone who regularly watches horror then this movie would be a walk in the park for you!!! Aahahaha
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUWAgbXSJ4Y

• oh wow this looks awesome!

• @Laura_Marx It was pretty good! I'm not a fan of the genre, but even so I'm glad I watched it. It may take you a few days to sort out all of your thoughts/feelings for it though hahaha.

• Was JUST talking with the boyfriend on this one. We're going to marathon the "Wrong Turn", "Final Destination", and "Saw" series movies.

"The Grudge" STILL has a me using a nightlight at 33.

I also prefer thrillers more than horror. To me, it's far scarier, IF it could ACTUALLY happen IRL.

• I JUST saw the first wrong turn like three hours ago.
      I'm home by myself for a few days and when I'm not working I'm marathoning horror movies.
      I've seen a dozen of them in the past two days

• I'm really hesitant to see the tv show because it'd be hard to match the first two films and then the fact that its an mtv show which puts me off but if you recommend it I'll netflix it

• It's decent. Scream Queens is good too, and will mind fuck you.

• Yeah Im with you some can be cool but like the Vampire thing its been over done. This is my list for you. Not sure what exactly you like but Ill throw some crazy, creepy and good ones.

Psycho (1960, skip the remake)
    A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984)
    The Burning
    Pumpkinhead
    Hellraiser (first one and Hellbound are the best)
    Childs Play
    The Fly (remake with Geena Davis)
    Night Of the Demons (its funny but effects are cool)
    Evil Dead (Original and remake)
    DeadGirl (2008 its very twisted but interesting)
    Cannibal Holocaust
    Cabin Fever
    Martyrs (original, skip the remake)
    Pet Sematary (Stephen King, creepy and sad horror movie)
    The Shining (original with Jack Nicholson)

I can literally go on and on but I should stop lol. Happy horror movie hunting.

• I recommend some of the classics, Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, and Halloween. I also recommend Black Christmas (the original), Conjuring, the Insidious movies, Sinister.

• The scariest film I've seen was probably Silent Hill. Might have been because I watched it when I was quite young. Could be really crap now looking back though

Woman in Black is pretty decent if I remember correctly

Everyone keeps banging on about Insidious and that other one - Sinister. Maybe try one of those.

• Premonition-Japanese version

The Grudge-Japanese version

The curse/Noroi

Deadgirl

The Thing

The Shining

Silent Hill

The Exorcist

It Walks (not my favorite but really fun concept)

• GOOD TASTE

• *it follows* not walks. my bad.
      thanks! We got a few in similar :D The first time I ever started Noroi, within 5 minutes my boyfriend's cat was found deathly ill outside and we had to start the movie later o. O The cat lived.

• The Silent Hill movie was pretty good.

• Mwahahahahaha horror my fav.
    The Devil's backbone (Spanish)
    A Serbian film (super sick btw)
    Arachnophobia
    The orphanage (Spanish)
    Hell raiser series
    Three extremes (Asian horror)
    Tales from the crypt
    Sinister (the first one)
    Martyrs (French version)
    Catacombs
    Flat liners
    Alien (s)
    As above so below
    In the mouth of madness
    Silence of the lambs
    Nightmare on elm street (80's/90's version)
    House of 1000 corpses
    Trick r treat
    The possession of Michael King
    The Wig
    Dolls
    The fly
    Grace
    Jacobs ladder
    The howling (classic)
    One missed call (Asian version)
    Creepshow
    Howl (not the howling lol)
    Evil dead (past and present actually) etc etc
    I didn't care for zombies either until the walking dead so give that a try although it's a t. v. show😃

• That's awesome a good amount of my pics were the same pics as yours great minds think alike :P. Hey your back I missed you buddy <3 I am gonna pm you okay.

• Yeah lol just look at my summary too its has a list of all the movies I liked as a whole :D

• Resurrection is also a creepy film, it's another Asian one.

• The loved one.

• Haha don't ask me. I steer clear from horror movies *hides underneath the blankets* I saw a recent one "Lights out" on a trailer while waiting to watch a YouTube video lol maybe try that one

• The Other Side of the Door is a pretty new one that's not bad, I also loved Sinister, the Conjuring & Insidious if you haven't seen those yet.

• Try Stephen King books turned movie
    Gothika was ok

• I'm pretty picky about movies, I don't like a lot of them but Martyrs was one of my favorite horror movies. A lot of people don't seem to like it though, they said it was too gruesome but I didn't think it was that bad and I thought the story was interesting.

• I never really watch horror movies but according to my dad, The Exorcist is the scariest. He means the one from 1973.

• Insidious 1 and 2

The Conjuring 1 and 2

The Cabin in the Woods

Evil Dead

The Babadook

The Devil's Backbone

• Maybe 😅😅
    Paranormal activity 1,2,3,4,5
    Insidious 1,2,3
    The purge 1,2,3
    The conjuring 1,2
    The boy
    The gift
    The vacation tapes
    The abandoned
    Before i wake
    The other side of the door
    krampus
    Sinister 1,2
    Mama
    As above, so below
    REC 1,2,3,4
    The curse of chacky
    Unnatural
    We are what we are i guess 😕
    The witch 😐

• Funny Games is very disturbing. I don't know if it classifies as horror though. Honestly freaked me out for a while cuz it's based off my biggest fear haha

• Thanks for the invite but I don't watch horror movies really

• Deliver us from evil

• Not a big fan of Horror movies at all so don't know what to recommend.

• Try Descent and Descent 2. Also The Cabin in the Woods, Jeepers Creepers, and Devil.

• No sorry I really don't like scary movies but thank you for the invite much love <3

• Evil dead original or new version
    Conjuring 1 or 2
    Incidous 1,2,3
    The shining
    Dream house

• Oh I forgot a few more
      The hills has eyes
      The forest (worst movie ever by the way)
      the grudge
      the ring or the ring two
      Dark Water
      The Unknown
      The Uninvited

• I liked the Descent a lot.

• Mama

• The ring

• do you like old or new?

• Dawn Of The Dead

What Guys Said 23

• The conjuring, The US 2016 Elections, Motha Fucking BREXIT, Kim Kardashian's sex tape, Hilary's Sex tape, Mark Walberg's acting, The evil dead, Paranormal Activity, a virgin's first time, my electric bill, Silent Hill 1-2... 3 never happened (I'm watching you don't be bringing up 3 in my crib lol), Hostel, Silence of the lambs, The Cabin in the woods, Sinister, Let me In and The Others just to name a few.

• Halloween and Ravenous are my two favourites.

I don't care much for modern horror - too much of it is either torture porn or cheap jump scares.

• The Conjuring has already been mentioned here.

• Sorry! Can't help with this one. I'm not a fan of any horror films.

• I found Sinister really good

• Sinister, Insidious, grudge, quarantine, the ring, the cabin in the woods, woman in black, The Boy, COnjuring, Anabelle, Jessabelle, Death silence

• Silent hill, 1408, grave encounters, the purge

• Stephen Kings: It, Pet Semetary, Christine, Carrie. Child's play 1,2, and 3 and the chucky movies

• Cabin in the woods is good its horror comedy tho
    The decent parts 1 and 2 are both fun watches
    If youbhave netflix the new show stranger things is good

• blair witch, insidious 1 and 2, grudge 1,2,3. the conjuring 1 and 2, The ring 1 and 2.

• John Paul Watson, feminist music... seriously it's the scariest thing you will ever watch.

• Event Horizon.

• Seen it, it does kick ass
      Its a better film version of doom than the one we got

• Have you seen Idiocracy?

The opening sequence to that is the stuff of my nightmares.

• Chucky

• Hell raiser, irreversible, the vanishing (the original German version, not the remake), martyrs

• How about the outpost series? It's about Nazi super soldiers.

• Valentine (2001).

• I don't like horror films, sorry :P

• It Follows

• Teeth

• Election coverage on live TV.

• The conjuring 2 trust me it's awesome

• it follows

• The shining is the greatest movie ever

• Halloween
    Psycho
    A nightmare on elm street (originals on all of them)
    Texas chainsaw massacre original or first remake
    I know what you did last summer
    I still know what you did last summer (fun 90s slashers)

• Final Destination and its sequels are more of horror thriller but you will get paranoid after watching it because the death is hunting you in everyday situations and tries to kill you. You can't cheat death. One of the few movies where it gets better with every sequel.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEUYk2xU4R0