Is it okay if an American author create non-american characters?

I've been working on a novel and the characters that I've created are Russian. My father thinks that I should be writing about American people. Is it okay if I write about non-american characters?

Most Helpful Guy

• Lol, is your father an extreme Marxist from the late 60s?

You should be writing of whatever, whomever, inspires you, and stop caring for silly opinions.

He is very narrow minded, I can't stand his ideas. He keeps telling me what to do and he always demotivates me. Thank you very much. I'll keep writing of whatever I want to.

Do you publish on some site online, like Booksie or Wattpad?
      That can get you useful feedback and support from readers.

I'm thinking about it. Maybe I will publish the novel online. But my father wanted to take a look at my novel. He has some connections and he said that if he likes it he might send it to a publisher. But he keeps making comments about my characters.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's always best to write about what you know. I think it's ok as long as your Russian characters are only secondary persons or if you have extensive understanding of Russian life, nuances and beliefs. You could seriously shoot yourself in the foot if actual Russians don't find your characters believable.

What Guys Said 17

• sure it's ok

just consider that you may want to do some research so your character ring true otherwise they may not be believable

i don't think your father intends to be mean or discounting your work but rather... it is always wise to write about things you know to an extent so it sounds authentic and not fabricated.

• Of course it's OK. However it may be more difficult to write a good Russian character if you don't know anything about Russians. A character should be believable. If it's just something you are writing casually it won't matter much. But if you are doing serious writing you need to do some research, not just on your characters, but everything else.

• It is okay for an American author to create non American characters. But if you do you want to make sure the character isn't just a stereotype. You should always know what you're writing about.

• You can write about whoever you like. Try to avoid stereotypes and cliches.

• The characters you make up in your own book can be whatever the Christ nationality you like

• We literally have freedom in our own constitution so yes...

• Sure. Preferably make the facts accurate

• Sure why wouldn't it be ok?
    My favorite book series is written by and English guy and the book os about an American man

• Almost every single story includes at least someone not from the author's country of origin. Your dad is a misguided patriot that think you should only write about Americans when in reality you would only be limiting yourself.

• Of course it is. The world is too big to write just about one nationality, principally when writing a novel.

• of course

• Your father is narrow minded

• Of course you can write about who ever or whatever you want

• Yes, of course it's okay. The challenge you'll run into is trying to keep stereotypes out of your novel, and putting in real Russian words, history, etc.

• Yeah why wouldn't it be? lol

• You can do whatever you want but if your audience is American, they'll probably relate more to American characters than russian ones.

• Write about whatever you want to. That's part of the fun is creating characters that we have to research and mold

absolutely! I really love researching about other cultures. Thank you so much :)

You're welcome

What Girls Said 13

• It's best to write about what you know about best. I suggest if you want to create Russian characters then you may want to read up on Russia and their culture, mannerisms, etc. so you can more accurately portray one in your book.

Thanks for the advice! I'll read some Russian novels and get to know their culture. Thanks! :)

You're very welcome! Good luck!😊

thanks a lot! :)

• As long as you have taken care to do your research and know the cultural influence and customs and can write a realistic character.

Thank you very very much! :)

• Well of course!!! writing is a type of art that should never be limited to anything... that's why it's art!!! :D hope that helped!!!

Thank you very much! It really helped! That's exactly what I think. Art should never be limited! :) I'll keep writing about whatever I want.

good luck!!! :D i'm sure you'll write something amazing

Thank you! I hope I can create something amazing :)

• Of course it's ok as long as you don't just use cliches.

• As long as you're aware as to what the culture is like, and not making stereotypical or racist situations, then I don't see a problem with it!

"Racist situations" are absolutely EVERYWHERE in everyday Russian life, and lots and lots of Russians are not even subtle about it, either.

So... depends on what you mean, here. If you're warning the OP not to distort the character (s) in a way that's disparaging, then, absolutely.
      If you mean that the characters themselves should have no racial bias at all... that doesn't square too well with most Russians I've met (and with what those Russian friends tell me that *most* Russians are actually like).

@redeyemindtricks I'm just saying don't use situations that will offend other people because wh either it's true or not, they are going to attack you because you are not Russian.

That is a fine line to tread, yeah.

I mean, lots of authors pull it off pretty well (there are, after all, lots of international spy novels out there). But you really have to know yr shit to pull that off.

• A good novelist possesses world view, he/she has international orientation and approach, so it is always recommended to create non-country characters to give wider acceptability and background.

Thank you very very much about this comment of yours. It really helped. :)

My pleasure.

• Create any characters you want! Write about aliens if you want.

Thank you so much for the advice :)

• Yes?

• It's 100% okay. You're free to write about everything you want. I think it would be better if you read more about Russian people, their culture and other stuff to create more 'real' characters.

Thanks for the advice I'll read about their culture. Thank you :)

• Um Hello it's called fiction you can be creative and write about anything

Thank you very much! :)

You are very welcome, now go watch the first season of Castle, and bring out your inner Richard Castle!

ahaha I will!

• Yes it is.

• Why wouldn't it be? As long as you don't stereotype really hard and your character is culturally accurate, I don't see a problem.

• I have no idea why it wouldn't be ok