5 mustread books: What are they?

Anything but love stories or detective books. Trying to find some good stuff. Really love horror of you've got any of those. Not a big King fan. Thanks!

Most Helpful Guy

• Les Miserables
    War and Peace
    Phantom of the Opera
    Complete works of Edgar Allan Poe
    Lord of the Flies

The first two do have romance in them, but only as sub plots, and they are legendary classics for a reason.

Phantom of the Opera is darker than the musical it inspired.

For horror, also read the works of H. P. Lovecraft.

Love Poe and Lord of the Flies. Checking the others out on Goodreads. Thanks!

Most Helpful Girl

• Frankenstein is my all-time favorite, though you have probably read it, depending on what country you are from. In the USA it is one of those books that are pretty popular to read in high school English class.

The book I have read the most times, is Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice. I just love her style and the work she puts into being historically accurate in her works of fiction is just awesome.

The Burn Journals by Brent Runyon. It is a memoir about a guy who doused his robe in gasoline, put it on and set it on fire when he was 14. Burned 85% of his body. It's about his journey to recovery. Really interesting read.

The Amityville Horror by Jay Anson. I know everyone has probably seen the movie. The movies didn't scare me as much as the book. The book gave me nightmares and many sleepless nights.

The Cleft by Doris Lessing. About a society free of men. Pretty damn creepy, though I am not sure it was meant to be creepy.

Love this list! I haven't read Frankenstein though I should. And Amityville is on my to buy list! Also The Burn Journals definitely sounds interesting! Thanks for the suggestions!

You're welcome! :)

Thank you for Most Helpful

What Guys Said 10

• Anna Karenina, Tolstoy
    Middlemarch, Eliot
    Meditations, Marcus Aurileus
    The Age of Innocence, Wharton
    At least one of the Proust works

Awesome list! Thank you!

• These are some of my favorites sorry if there not really your thing but i think each of them is great
    Halo: Fall of Reach (Military Sci Fi)
    The Hobbit ( Fantasy)
    Killing Floor (Mystery Thriller) Great book 👌🏼
    The Martian (Sci Fi) Makes the movie look silly
    Under the Dome (Thriller) This one because you say you like stories and its super enjoyable to read all the different characters stories... my favorite book I've read so far this year and im on book 16 this year... but its a long one 1000+ pages

Ha did you like it, Under the Dome? I tried it years ago and couldn't get into it, but maybe I should try it again though because it has definitely been a big hit with most people. The Hobbit my daughter and I are reading and I will definitely be checking out some of that sci fi! Thanks!

• The nameless city by faith Erin hicks
    The adventures of superhero girl by faith Erin hicks
    The ship of theseus by I don't remember who wrote it

Awesome! Thank you.

• Not being a king fan eliminates most of the good stuff

I actually like his non horror and even a few of the horror. He is just hit or miss. I like The Stand, Salems Lot, The Body, Green Mile. Just picky

Shawshank

• Prisoner of zenda
    A tale of two cities
    David Coperfield
    The government inspector
    Pygmalion

Thanks for the list! Wil check them out.

And merchant of Venice , no problem OP , these books is what makes the English literature to me

• House of leaves by Danielewski. Read it!

I was just looking at it! It seems interesting! Thanks for the suggestion.

• origin of species... it really helps to understand something

Lol thanks for that! Think I'm good there though.

• I don't have any recommendation

This is the saddest answer I have ever read. There is so much good reading out there in the world, and you don't even have one recommendation? Thats sad! Get on it!

• DIVERSITY IS A CODE-WORD FOR WHITE GENOCIDE. #WhiteGenocide

ANTI-RACISM = ANTI-WHITE

I don't know if you're in the right question here...

• 1. The Green Mile (Its king but its a MUST, or watch the movie their both really good.)
    2. Touching Spirit Bear
    3. Night
    4. Anthem or The Giver
    5. Frankenstein

Loved Green Mile! I actually like his non horror books a lot. I will check the others out! Thanks!

What Girls Said 15

• -the loveliest dead (ray garton); trigger warning due to implied/referenced non-con+abuse, but still very well written.

-down the darkest road (tami hoag)

-goldengrove (francine prose)

-the bookstore (deborah meyler)~ it has *some* romance in it, though it's not the focus of the book.

-more money than brains: why school sucks, college is crap, and idiots think they're right (laura penny)

the first two are horror-ish, the third and fourth are personal favourites. and the last is a nonfiction book that i just couldn't put down. enjoy!

-von

Nice list! Thank you very much!

• For me the best books in the English language I've read recently are The Picture Of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde, The Ocean At The End Of The Lane by Neil Gaiman, The Bane Chronicles by Cassandra Clare, The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald & the Song Of Ice And Fire series by George R R Martin.
    They are all incredibly well written but in the end it also depends on your personal taste, I love the fantasy/horror genre a lot because the stories take you to entirely different worlds.

Love Ice and fire and have a few of the Cassandra Clare books. I have heard good things about The Ocean at the End of the Lane. Will check it out. Thank you!

I hope you like it! :)

• Here's a take I wrote ages ago on an old account, it's five of my faves.

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a9342-childhood-books-a-few-of-my-favourites

Love Z for Zachariah though I hate the movie! Will check out the other ones. Thanks!

If you like Z then I think you'd enjoy The Chrysalids. Not a long book but so so good.

Awesome! Thanks!

• 1. ghost in the shell
    2. the call of chtulhu
    3. empires of eve
    4. the sea of sorrows
    5. ghost's of ascalon
    6. innocence

i don't buy or read many novels (unless its manga) so yeah, sry its not that many, i also have the harry potter books but lets be honest, everyone has those books

Chtulhu is Lovecraft right? I will check them out, and thanks for the suggestions.

yes it is, it covers the myth lovecraft created about chtulhu mythos, a giant leviathan god, and you're welcome :)

• Great Expectations, Pride and Prejudice, The Time Machine, David Copperfield (another Dickens but he's the best), and War and Peace.

Sorry don't read War and Peace. Just don't. I meant Crime and Punishment.

Will look into them! Thank you!

• I don't read horror so can't recommend anything in that genre

But some good fiction:
    Nineteen minutes
    The lie tree

Thank you! Will look into them!

• I enjoy horror novels. These are some that I liked:

The Elementals by Michael McDowell

Interview with the Vampire (The Vampire Chronicles #1) by Anne Rice. I like all 4 of the vampire Lestat and such books, too.

Swan Song by Robert McCammon

Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill

House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski

Heart-Shaped Box is my favorite horror book! It's the only one that made me turn my lights on at night lol. I can't find anything that good in horror since, and it's my favorite! Will definitely be checking out your other suggestions. Thank you!

Oh yeah, it's so good! Some aren't exactly like that, but still entertaining in my opinion. I hope you enjoy!

• the HP series
    The mask by dean koontz
    she wakes by jack ketchum
    the lake by richard laymon

The Lake and She Wakes aw on my list! Thank you!

• My favourites
    1 the nazi officers wife
    2 the book of negros
    3 the clan of the cave bear

Checking them out on Goodreads right now! Thank you.

• Look up Ellen Hopkins. She's my favorite author.

Actually have her on my to read list, thanks!

• If you like adult fantasy, Brent Weeks and Brandon Sanderson have some amazing books.

Will check them out! Thanks!

• Owe I'm reading "water for elephants"

Heard it is great!

Haha we have good taste! 😎 we rock😜

Lol hell yeah! 💁🏻💁🏻💁🏻💁🏻

• To Kill A Mockingbird
    Of Mice and Men
    Hunger Games

Lord of the Flies too

Love all of them! Especially To Kill a Mockingbird! Thank you! Good taste!

• Dracula - Bram Stoker.
    Rosemary's Baby - Ira Levin
    Carmilla - Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu.
    American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis.
    Coraline - Neil Gaiman.

Great list! Thank you!

your welcome.

• These are more dark/abuse than horror and are erotic novels, but hey you may still like to check them out...

Captive in the Dark (The Dark Duet #1) by C. J. Roberts www.goodreads.com/.../12513614-captive-in-the-dark

Tears of Tess (Monsters in the Dark #1) by Pepper Winters www.goodreads.com/book/show/18134894-tears-of-tess

Will check them out! Thanks!